Why is everyone so down on PPH?

DCLMP

DIS Veteran
I'm a WDW person so reading people complaining about the walk is laughable to me... I'm traveling with just my teenage son. We stayed at Springhill suites in August when there were all four of us, but I want something close to DDD. We plan on having dinner in DDD every night and I want a closer walk back to the hotel after dinner. The only Disneyland hotel we have stayed at was GCH and that was 10 years ago. I've stayed at every WDW deluxe and a couple of the mods.

I don't care about theming or pools, although a hot tub is nice. Is there any reason for us to pay more for one of the other Disney hotels?... Again we're not interested in a harbor hotel or staying offsite this time around. The cost between the three is not that much of an issue, but if I can save enough money for legos and Dooney and Bourke purse is it worth it? Are the rooms OK and not old and tired?

I'm a WDW person so reading people complaining about the walk is laughable to me... I'm traveling with just my teenage son. We stayed at Springhill suites in August when there were all four of us, but I want something close to DDD. We plan on having dinner in DDD every night and I want a closer walk back to the hotel after dinner. The only Disneyland hotel we have stayed at was GCH and that was 10 years ago. I've stayed at every WDW deluxe and a couple of the mods.

I don't care about theming or pools, although a hot tub is nice. Is there any reason for us to pay more for one of the other Disney hotels?... Again we're not interested in a harbor hotel or staying offsite this time around. The cost between the three is not that much of an issue, but if I can save enough money for legos and Dooney and Bourke purse is it worth it? Are the rooms OK and not old and tired?
I have stayed at all three of the Disney Hotels. I don't care about theming either.
They each have their own feel. As far as the rooms go, to me they're all about the same. For the most part I just need a place to shower and sleep. The walk to PPH and DLH are about the same. I love walking through DTD to and from the parks.
I know you said you don't care about the pool...
But I do care about space and availability of the hotel's hot tub.
In my opinion the PPH's pool area is not as nice as the DLH or GCH.
The hot tub at PPH is smaller and was OVER RUN with little kids without parents the last two visits we had there. I couldn't even get space to soak my feet in the hot tub. Ended up back in the room soaking my feet in the bath tub. When staying at the DLH, little kids in the hot tub hasn't been an issue.
When staying at PPH, I really like having a Theme Park View. The lights of DCA are so nice.
For a stay at DLH we like a room in the Adventure Tower with a view of DTD.

Good luck with your travel plans.

I have stayed at all three of the Disney Hotels. I don't care about theming either.
They each have their own feel. As far as the rooms go, to me they're all about the same. For the most part I just need a place to shower and sleep. The walk to PPH and DLH are about the same. I love walking through DTD to and from the parks.
I know you said you don't care about the pool...
But I do care about space and availability of the hotel's hot tub.
In my opinion the PPH's pool area is not as nice as the DLH or GCH.
The hot tub at PPH is smaller and was OVER RUN with little kids without parents the last two visits we had there. I couldn't even get space to soak my feet in the hot tub. Ended up back in the room soaking my feet in the bath tub. When staying at the DLH, little kids in the hot tub hasn't been an issue.
When staying at PPH, I really like having a Theme Park View. The lights of DCA are so nice.
For a stay at DLH we like a room in the Adventure Tower with a view of DTD.

Good luck with your travel plans.
Thanks for the review. I like a hot tub, but whether we actually use it depends on a lot of factors. When our kids were little the pool was more important than the parks, but with a teen who just wants to catch up with his friends on social media or play video games when returning from the park, it's not that big a deal.

We generally hit the parks at opening go back to the hotel for a shower and maybe the pool and then off to dinner. I probably read too much into the reviews. Trip advisor is a blessing and a curse at times. Disney hotel rooms are generally regular hotel rooms at four seasons prices. I know that and I've always been ok with that. I like being on property and in the bubble so to speak. I would never go to WDW and stay offsite. As long as the rooms are decent at PPH I'm not sure it's worth the money to stay at the other two.

Why not stay at one of the hotels on Harbor that are nicer and cheaper
I did not see any hotels on a harbor that seemed nicer and stepping over the homeless people kind of killed the vibe. I also saw one homeless woman throwing chairs and over turning tables in front of one the restaurans on Harbor. The next morning she was in front of Springhill suites pacing back and forth ranting and raving. Not to be rude, but I wasn't asking about offsite hotels.

Last edited:
I didn’t like the elevator situation at Paradise Pier. I felt like I. The morning they were always full and we had to keep waiting and waiting. Other than that, it was fine.
I've read they've changed that to where you pick your floor before getting on. I've stayed in a few hotels outside of this country that do that. Maybe someone can clarify.

I've read they've changed that to where you pick your floor before getting on. I've stayed in a few hotels outside of this country that do that. Maybe someone can clarify.
We haven't had an issue with the elevators at PPH.
Select your floor and wait a minute or so. It's not been a long wait at all.
However, we have not stayed at PPH since things re-opened.

On the return walk to PPH from the parks, look for the route through GCH to save a few steps at the end of the day.
Unfortunately, it's not possible on your way to the parks.

I'm a WDW/DLR person. Have visited both many times. Have stayed at all 3 of the DLR hotels. We enjoyed PPH but don't enjoy the walk. But we're hard core parks people and are typically on our feet 12 hours or more each day. I also have issues with my knees as I age, which makes it all harder. Unnecessary steps at the end of a long day aren't great.

We haven't had an issue with the elevators at PPH.
Select your floor and wait a minute or so. It's not been a long wait at all.
However, we have not stayed at PPH since things re-opened.

On the return walk to PPH from the parks, look for the route through GCH to save a few steps at the end of the day.
Unfortunately, it's not possible on your way to the parks.
I have seen people report lately that they have been able to go through GCH on the way to the park from PPH. Last one I think was like maybe 2 weeks ago.

I have stayed at all 3 hotels and am mostly a WDW traveller. We stayed at PPH in Feb 2019. The room was the grimy-est room I have ever stayed at in my very recent memory. That’s not just talking about Disney but EVERY hotel I’ve stayed at in about 30 years!
I really think it should be bulldozed and Disney should start fresh but that’s probably not an option as people continue to pay $$$ just to be ‘on property’.
The walk was just slightly too far to be acceptable (although at WDW, we routinely walk from Crescent Lake resorts to Hollywood studios). We did make use of the GCH to cut through but you had to time it right to go through the gate with someone who had access. This obviously means that we should not have had access but I had a Rise BG to get to so I took the chance!
Everything about the design of the PPH is weird, including the elevators and pool access. The bed linens were fine but the rest of the room was stained, dusty in places the vacuum could not reach and just…so…grimy! I wrote some pretty scathing reviews and emails after our stay. Never again!

I have stayed there before and after it was a Disney hotel. I haven't been in a few years, but I have no qualms about staying there again in the future. The reason why I wouldn't stay there at this time is because there is no food service available. The walk to/from the parks can be a pain when DTD is swarming with people. For the current rates of PPH, I think the new Westin and the new JW Marriott are probably much better overall, but they are farther away and if you don't want to walk the Anaheim streets, you'd be stuck called Uber/Lyft for a 5 minute car ride.

For a few dollars more, I'd stay at the Disneyland Hotel, but that's because I like quick access to food/drinks. If I needed the difference in cash to buy a Dooney and some Legos, I'd stay at PPH if I was seriously planning on eating in DTD the whole time.

The rooms have been fine; never had a huge issue with the elevators. The pool isn't as great at DLH, but that isn't a deal breaker either. What really bites is the fact that there is really nothing to eat or drink at the hotel. I like my drink at the end of the night, and it's ridiculous that the bar isn't open. The walk to/from is not at all a big deal as I don't have any health issues, and I welcome the high step count at the park. How else am I going to keep the calories in check w/ all the good food and sweets? But would I choose to stay at the PPH with the other choices available, even hotels like the Westin? No.

The GCH is a beautiful treat when I can afford it, and the DLH is a beautiful hotel w/ nice amenities as well. So if cost is really not an issue, there's no reason to stay at the PPH. My hubby would rather stay at the PPH than offsite, but I would really lobby him to stay at the Westin instead.

I have stayed there before and after it was a Disney hotel. I haven't been in a few years, but I have no qualms about staying there again in the future. The reason why I wouldn't stay there at this time is because there is no food service available. The walk to/from the parks can be a pain when DTD is swarming with people. For the current rates of PPH, I think the new Westin and the new JW Marriott are probably much better overall, but they are farther away and if you don't want to walk the Anaheim streets, you'd be stuck called Uber/Lyft for a 5 minute car ride.

For a few dollars more, I'd stay at the Disneyland Hotel, but that's because I like quick access to food/drinks. If I needed the difference in cash to buy a Dooney and some Legos, I'd stay at PPH if I was seriously planning on eating in DTD the whole time.
I considered the Westin with my Amex platinum benefits, but I'd prefer to be closer this go around. We do plan on eating in DDD every night. We were at Universal Orlando last month and I can't imagine the walk being any longer than RPR or PBH to the parks. I think DL folks are a little spoiled when it comes to walking distance to the parks. At some WDW resorts, the walk from the bus stop to your room can be half a mile.

The biggest problem with PPH right now is the literal lack of food options at the resort. NOTHING is open and walking to DtD or one of the other hotels is annoying when all you want to do is grab something to eat. I don't know when they plan to remedy this and start selling food at the hotel again, so for now I'd say avoid it for that reason. We also generally hate this hotel. It's just nothing special for the price. I'd pay the small upcharge and stay at the DLH instead.

I considered the Westin with my Amex platinum benefits, but I'd prefer to be closer this go around. We do plan on eating in DDD every night. We were at Universal Orlando last month and I can't imagine the walk being any longer than RPR or PBH to the parks. I think DL folks are a little spoiled when it comes to walking distance to the parks. At some WDW resorts, the walk from the bus stop to your room can be half a mile.

Just wanted to point out the Westin is literally one more city block further than the PPH, so if that walk is "no big deal" then one more block shouldn't be a deal breaker. The Westin is a MUCH nicer hotel for the money in that area. I would stay there a million times before the PPH if I was willing to walk.

Just wanted to point out the Westin is literally one more city block further than the PPH, so if that walk is "no big deal" then one more block shouldn't be a deal breaker. The Westin is a MUCH nicer hotel for the money in that area. I would stay there a million times before the PPH if I was willing to walk.
Cost-wise they are about the same. I've considered splitting between the Westin paid with points and GCH, but without a car that might be too much of a pain. I've come across your opinion of PPH a few times doing searches on here. You are obviously not a fan. :)

Cost-wise they are about the same. I've considered splitting between the Westin paid with points and GCH, but without a car that might be too much of a pain. I've come across your opinion of PPH a few times doing searches on here. You are obviously not a fan. :)

Split the difference and go with DLH. I stayed at PPH a handful of times back in the day when it was sub $100/night. Even at that price, I was underwhelmed.

I have a feeling once Disneyland Forever becomes a reality, the PPH will have a massive transformation and suddenly become THE premiere resort to stay at, until then, Disney seems content to let it languish.

It works for many, but for me, using an ECV, I need to wait for the prior people to get off, and by then, others have pushed past me, and either no space, or the doors have started closing. Also, to come down from a middle floor, often the elevator is full in the AM, and you wait several elevators.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter