"Why is EVERYTHING better here?" First trip to DL, May '14

I've heard some people love the character meals @ DL compared to WDW and others hate that they're not as organized. I think we'll probably only do 1 next year since my DS does not prioritize meeting characters.

We are very excited to ride PotC @ DLR! And I'm very excited to go on IaSW there. That's one of my favorite rides and I can't wait to see the DLR version!

If it's not a priority, I wouldn't worry about it-it's not much of a priority for us either (at least, not on that trip). I enjoyed the DL version of IASW much more than the WDW version.

Great report

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it!

Really enjoying your TR, I think you did more in 6 days than I've done in 6 different 3 day trips, fortunately I'm going again on Thursday because after your TR I already have a list of new things I want to try.

We wanted to do as much as possible because we really have no idea when we might make it back there. Glad I could give you some ideas!

Have enjoyed your TR so far.
Can't wait to see it all in person!
I think you may have helped make my character breakfast decision for me though - Goofy's kitchen and not Storytellers.

Welcome! We went with Storyteller's because it had characters we don't see often and I'd heard good things about the food. Goofy's Kitchen sounded similar to Chef Mickey's, which we've done, and we wanted something a little different. I'm sure either is great!

I really want to do Storytellers for the Brother bear characters but thinking maybe an earlier reservation now if the parks open at 10 :goodvibes

Not sure what time your reservations is now, but I would aim for an 8:30am at the latest. Of course, if you're going to DCA, it's right next door, so not as much of a walk.

After small world, we decided to head back towards DCA, but meandered along the way.

Cheshire Cat in the wall by Alice in Wonderland:
IMG_3595.JPG

White Rabbit by the bathrooms (where we watched Soundsational from):
IMG_3596.JPG

The Penny Arcade looked like a cute distraction, so we got our fortune told by Esmeralda:
IMG_3597.JPG

IMG_3598.JPG

Candy Palace is almost part of the Arcade, and they had these cool Maleficent apples (in fact, everything that day was about Maleficent, they were even giving out buttons at the gates):
IMG_3599.JPG

There was also a dancing Pinocchio game:
IMG_3600.JPG

I tried to take some pictures of their Emporium windows:
IMG_3603.JPG

These next three were all in the same window-how many racially diverse characters can we put in one spot?
IMG_3604.JPG

IMG_3605.JPG

IMG_3606.JPG

IMG_3607.JPG

It was then that PB called my name with flat out panic in his voice and I knew something was very wrong. He couldn’t find his company ID! PB doesn’t have a wallet, he keeps literally everything including his ID and his main entrance passes in a plastic cardholder. At WDW, the ID is $50 to replace, but he hadn’t taken the holder out of his pocket since breakfast. We immediately went into Guest Relations to check lost and found. They didn’t have it, so I suggested they call Storyteller’s Café, since that’s the last logical place it could have been. Thank goodness, they had it there!

Heading across the Esplanade, there was a sand Olaf in place for the Rock Your Disney Side thing.
IMG_3608.JPG

Our first stop was obviously the Grand Californian. While PB backtracked to the restaurant, I sat on a bench right inside the entrance. Looking into the park from my bench:
IMG_3609.JPG

Looking towards the hotel:
IMG_3610.JPG

With ID safely in hand, PB made his way back to me. He said the CMs at the restaurant told him that at DL, if they lose their ID, a notation is made on their record card but there’s no cost to replace it. Not as big a deal, unless you’re repeatedly losing them and you have a bunch of notations.

On to California Screamin’! We decided to do the single rider line this time.
IMG_3611.JPG

The singles line is very odd. You go up a ramp to the left of the entrance, then they hold you on the exit side of the track. Next they send a group up an elevator where you walk over the track next to the standby line, then go down another elevator, where they pull you as needed. PB and I ended up on the same train, though obviously not together. And we were so excited because we finally got the purple train!
53111110005.jpg

53128340000.jpg

I actually think it was a better ride on the second go-round! We wanted to get on the Racers at least once more, so we cut through Pacific Wharf and took the scenic route in.
IMG_3612.JPG

Single riders was the way to go here as well. We waited maybe 5 minutes and were placed with a family of four. They were originally split two and two, but the dad asked if his son could sit in the front, and of course we had no problem with that.
53111110006.jpg

Since there was no wait, we immediately got back in the singles line again! Still in the same car, but not together.
53111110007.jpg

And you know what? We never did get to go to Ramone’s…all four times, we ended up getting new tires with Luigi! What are the odds? Guess it just wasn’t meant to be. It was getting to be near our Space Mountain return time so we left DCA and walked back over to Disneyland.

Glad y'all were able to locate PB's company ID! That had to be really scary for him.

Ok, ? about California Screamin'. You mention getting the purple train. In another TR, I noticed that the poster had pics of them in different color trains on that ride in the same day. So, how many different colored trains are there and is there a difference between them?

That's fun that y'all were able to get on RSR a couple more times! :cool1:

Ok, ? about California Screamin'. You mention getting the purple train. In another TR, I noticed that the poster had pics of them in different color trains on that ride in the same day. So, how many different colored trains are there and is there a difference between them?

Hmmm...I know there's at least two: purple and orange. And there's absolutely no difference, they all run on the same track. Purple is our favorite color, that's the only reason we wanted that train!

Hmmm...I know there's at least two: purple and orange. And there's absolutely no difference, they all run on the same track. Purple is our favorite color, that's the only reason we wanted that train!

Oh ok, I just wanted to make sure one wasn't "faster" or something. I like purple too so I can definitely understand! :laughing:

Not sure what time your reservations is now, but I would aim for an 8:30am at the latest. Of course, if you're going to DCA, it's right next door, so not as much of a walk.

We haven't booked it yet because not at 60 day mark yet but definately going to go for 8-8.30 breakfast. I will not leave until I see those bears! :rotfl2:

Glad you found the ID and yay for single rider line. I think i might be trying that a few times while I'm there!

Oh ok, I just wanted to make sure one wasn't "faster" or something. I like purple too so I can definitely understand! :laughing:

That was part of the reason we were so disappointed that the World of Color Wi-fi wasn't working-we wanted to win at the game so we could turn Mickey's Fun Wheel purple!

We haven't booked it yet because not at 60 day mark yet but definately going to go for 8-8.30 breakfast. I will not leave until I see those bears! :rotfl2:

Glad you found the ID and yay for single rider line. I think i might be trying that a few times while I'm there!

Yup, 8-8:30 should be good. Single rider lines were great, wish they had more in WDW!

Well friends, this is it. The last post for this TR. It's been so fun to relive the trip over the last three months, but I'm going back to the World in two weeks and will be starting that TR soon!
Back at DL, the FP return line for Space Mountain looked massive before the merge point. Thankfully it moved pretty quickly and soon we were boarding our rocket. Front row, so we got a great picture this time!
53111110003.jpg

It was around 3pm at this point and we were getting kind of hungry, so we split up to round up two of Disneyland’s most famous treats: corn dogs and Dole Whips! PB got the dogs and I went to the pineapple stand. The line was GIGANTIC. Wrapped all the way around to the entrance to Aladdin’s Oasis, and I probably waited about 20 minutes. There was a girl in line behind me who had never had a Dole Whip before and wanted to know if it was worth the line. I was like, “Absolutely!”
Goodies in hand, we met back up at the Jolly Holiday Bakery and snagged a table in the shade. PB just had a regular Dole Whip but I got a float. How awesome are the cherry and little umbrella? Once again, we were like, “Why can’t WDW do this?” I was on Disneyfoodblog yesterday and they said the same thing!
IMG_3613.JPG

And the corn dogs, which did not disappoint!
IMG_3614.JPG

PB disappeared into the bakery for a few minutes, and while he was gone, I was eavesdropping on the table of teens next to us. They were probably in middle school, complaining that they didn’t want to read Romeo & Juliet, they wanted to watch the movie…and not even the classic one, the Leonardo DiCaprio/Claire Danes version. After they left and PB came back, I told him about it and he was like, “Ugh, it’s good I wasn’t here, I would have yelled at them”. Turns out he went to get a cinnamon bun.
IMG_3615.JPG

That giant purple mug was a Rock Your Disney Side special: 32oz mug for $7.99, including coffee or hot chocolate at time of fill. What a steal!
My mom had requested a Matterhorn Macaroon, so I asked if they could box one up for me. They could, but it was going to be real awkward to get back to New York.
IMG_3616.JPG

Then PB had a brilliant idea! I didn’t know what he was doing but as soon as he left the table I realized: small soda cups are the perfect size! So that’s how I got it home, and it worked like a charm.

It was almost 4pm. My bus was coming shortly before 6 and PB had scheduled Super Shuttle to pick him up around the same time. We’d done everything we wanted, so we sadly headed out towards the exit. Right before we walked through, PB goes, “Are you ready?” My response was, “No, but I know we have to…” That is the first time in quite a while that I’ve left a Disney park unwillingly. My WDW vacations are always fun but I’m usually ready to go home at the end, probably cause I know I’ll be back soon. But who knows when we’ll make it back out to California?

Back at PPH, we stopped at Bell Services to pick up our bags, and then headed up to the Beach Comber Club. We tried our keys, but they didn’t work, as expected. I’d read on the DIS that even though the keys deactivate, if you knock on the door, the CMs will welcome you back with open arms and let you take advantage of the lounge until the end of the day. Well, either that policy has changed or we just had an unfriendly CM, who we’d never seen before. He told us that we were no longer allowed in because it was “way past check out time” and that we could grab a few items to go but wouldn’t be allowed to sit in there and wait for the bus. Having never stayed club level before, I have no idea what standard practice is. Does anyone know? Is this the same policy at WDW? I would think that since you have access to other facilities until 12am of your checkout day, such as the pool, that the same would go for this, but I guess not. So that was a little disappointing, because we were also planning to munch on the snacks there to avoid buying dinner.

Anyway, I took my bags to the bathroom to redistribute, freshen up, and prepare for the long journey home. Then we went downstairs to the Surfside Lounge to wait. I asked the front desk about the club lounge policy and they said privileges end “technically at 11”, which makes me think it kind of is up to the discretion of the CMs on duty (I even re-read all the paperwork they gave us at check in and didn’t find any mention of when access stops).

Shortly before 6, we made our way outside to wait. My Cars Land bus was a couple minutes late, but nothing too bad. This driver was much better than the one on the first day. He loaded our luggage by airline, which made things way easier at the airport. There were only a handful of people already seated when I got on, then we stopped at the Grand Californian, where maybe two more people boarded. Last stop was the Disneyland Hotel, where a big extended family got on. They sat near me and were pretty funny. I made it to LAX without much hassle; PB texted me that his Super Shuttle driver was insane and he’d be lucky if he made it alive…which he did!

JetBlue is in terminal 3, and their check in counter is super tiny! They had one person who was doing full service check in, and two (then only one) doing just bag drop. I didn’t even see the self-check in kiosks at first, because they were behind the line. It was just very confusing. I did help another woman with the kiosk because she had no idea what she was doing. Then I headed up to security, which was surprisingly easy and fast, before heading into the gate area…which was like nothing I’d ever seen before!

My gate was 33B, so down the short hallway where the purple-ish star is. But the half circle I colored in green was just rows and rows of seating. I’ve never seen a circular terminal before, and since all the gates were around the perimeter, they just put everyone in the center!
Screen%2520Shot%25202014-06-09%2520at%25207.22.06%2520PM.png

Now, I had a lot of time to kill. The last DL bus left at 6, but my flight wasn’t until 11:30. They had changed the schedule after I booked, otherwise I probably would have chosen another method of transportation. I got a strawberry Frappuccino from Starbucks, read a good chunk of “Divergent” by Veronica Roth, looked at the Burger King menu but didn’t see the price for a plain old cheeseburger, and ended up at the La Brea Bakery grab n go. Paid $11 for this stupid thing.
IMG_3617.JPG

I love BLTs, I love pretzel rolls, but this was just sad. Might have been better if it was fresh, but it was obviously pre-packaged. Didn’t even finish it. I thought the food options were lacking quite a bit here. Finally they started boarding us. I was in row 13, the window seat. I thought it was very nice that they provide everyone with complimentary eye masks and earplugs. Didn’t sleep very much, but I did doze a little, mostly cause I just couldn’t get comfortable. We landed in Boston a couple minutes early, at terminal C. I believe we were at gate 32 and I had to go to gate 40. Having never been to this airport before, there was a caveat I didn’t know about…
Screen%2520Shot%25202014-06-19%2520at%252010.54.48%2520PM.png

The pink line is me making my way from one gate to the next. I stopped at Starbucks (the green star) to grab a Frappuccino and a muffin, which I take to go and continue on my merry way. Except, oh hey, see that big red circle? That’s where you EXIT the secure area to get to the afterthought gates of 40-42. That’s right, I had to go through ANOTHER TSA screening. But since I had a fresh drink in hand, I couldn’t take that through security. So I sat at the food court to eat my breakfast before heading over to security part 2 and getting to my gate. That was very, very frustrating, and might actually deter me from using the Boston airport again.

I had just about two hours in the airport. My connecting flight left on time, the ride was smooth and short, and we got to Buffalo right on time, around 11:30am. I was in row 3 (window seat again, of course) so I was able to hop right off the plane. My bag showed up reasonably quick and I went outside to wait for Matt. I was so thankful he came to get me, but he has this aversion to pulling up to the terminal…he’d rather park in the closest long term lot (free parking under two hours) and walk to and from the car. Normally I don’t mind but I’d been on planes and in airports for about 12 hours. He also greeted me with, “You look really tired.” Gee thanks, love you too.

I will say I was surprisingly not jet-lagged in either direction. I think staying up so late/getting very little sleep on the nights before and of travel helped a lot. And with that, our amazing first trip to the west was over. I highly recommend a trip out there if you can make it happen!

That cinnamon roll looks delicious!!! That's one of my biggest weaknesses and I am definitely seeing one in my future next year. YUM!

Thank you for sharing your trip with us! It sounds like y'all definitely had a lot of fun! And it definitely has me even more excited to be heading that way next year. In fact, I booked our package tonight! :cool1:

Will you post a link here to your new TR once you start it? I would love to follow along!

Hi there, just wanted to say I followed along and read your entire TR and really enjoyed reading it! It looks like you guys had a blast :goodvibes Can't wait to read your next TR!

Boy I am really late to the party! I really enjoyed your trip report. It looks like you guys have a lot of fun together.

That cinnamon roll looks delicious!!! That's one of my biggest weaknesses and I am definitely seeing one in my future next year. YUM!

Thank you for sharing your trip with us! It sounds like y'all definitely had a lot of fun! And it definitely has me even more excited to be heading that way next year. In fact, I booked our package tonight! :cool1:

Will you post a link here to your new TR once you start it? I would love to follow along!

He said it was delicious! We had a ton of fun and how exciting that you booked your package! I'm sure you'll have a great time. :goodvibes

Hi there, just wanted to say I followed along and read your entire TR and really enjoyed reading it! It looks like you guys had a blast :goodvibes Can't wait to read your next TR!

Thanks for commenting! Glad you enjoyed it!

Boy I am really late to the party! I really enjoyed your trip report. It looks like you guys have a lot of fun together.

Better late than never! Thanks for reading!

My next TR is going to be a mostly solo adventure, but PB will be joining me for one night at the Grand Floridian, where we will pretend we know how to behave in classy establishments (or not!). The other five nights I'm staying at Caribbean Beach. Never stayed at either place before, so I'm super excited for that! And I will definitely stop by to post a link over here!

He said it was delicious! We had a ton of fun and how exciting that you booked your package! I'm sure you'll have a great time. :goodvibes

Thanks for commenting! Glad you enjoyed it!

Better late than never! Thanks for reading!

My next TR is going to be a mostly solo adventure, but PB will be joining me for one night at the Grand Floridian, where we will pretend we know how to behave in classy establishments (or not!). The other five nights I'm staying at Caribbean Beach. Never stayed at either place before, so I'm super excited for that! And I will definitely stop by to post a link over here!

How fun and exciting! I am amazed at the amount of people that were all up in your business as to whether you and PB are a couple. Why is it important? I must tell you though you gave my daughter and I both a giggle over it. I look forward to your next trip report!

My friend Kaoden sent me here and I am glad she did.

That was such a fun read. I spent this weekend reading it. I have been to WDW about 13 times plus my hubby and I worked there for a year, so it was exciting to see all what DL has to offer. I hope to get there in next year or two.

Can't wait for your next TR

:surfweb:

Hi Gretchen ! I really enjoyed reading your trip report. Loved the pictures!!! Thanks for sharing your amazing trip! DH and I will be heading out to Disneyland next week. It wil be my first time visiting as a wdw cast member. I'll be using my main entrance pasd, guest pass and paper comp tickets. Were you able to go directly to the turnstiles with each of these types of ticket media or did you sometimes have to go to the ticket window? Thanks!

Hi Gretchen ! I really enjoyed reading your trip report. Loved the pictures!!! Thanks for sharing your amazing trip! DH and I will be heading out to Disneyland next week. It wil be my first time visiting as a wdw cast member. I'll be using my main entrance pasd, guest pass and paper comp tickets. Were you able to go directly to the turnstiles with each of these types of ticket media or did you sometimes have to go to the ticket window? Thanks!

Yes, you can go straight to the turnstiles when using both the comp e-tickets and your ME pass. You don't even need your guest passes, just your ME pass and your company ID. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info! Hope you have a magical trip to wdw. Im looking forward to your next trip report.

What a great trip report!
I loved all of your pictures – thank you for mentioning what a good deal PP+ is at Disneyland, I never knew. 

I think it's great you have a friend like PB who loves Disney and loves to travel. (And he gets you some great discounts! Wahoo!)

Kind of a little on and a little off topic: I love reading about WDW vets going to DL. It's interesting and informative to hear of the trials and triumphs of a different style of Park touring.

Things that fascinate (or confuse) me when I read WDW trip reports:

1) "Resort days" (I can't imagine going to California to hang out in a hotel or a resort.)

2) Discussions of the "MAGIC" and the alleged 'bubble'. Where the Magic begins, where it potentially ends. Who has the ability to either enhance or spoil someone else’s Magic.

3) Serious planning. ADR’s. Waking up at a ridiculous hour to potentially get a reservation at a restaurant or a dessert buffet months in advance. This concept is both bizarre and awe inspiring. Mostly bizarre but I would do it too!!

4) The Meal Plan – Snack credits, counter service, Character meals that cost the price of a small car. (Or two meal credits!) I can envision a vacation filled with food, but no rides. Who has time for rides when there are meals to monorail to?! Or boat to. Or bus to. All those pre-planned ADR’s sound like they involve traveling to some far-off location.

5) Cups that get you “free” soda. I can’t believe the angst over bar codes on a cup. And those who cheat, and those who excuse their soda cheating.

6) Transportation: buses and buses and buses, oh my! (And boats and taxi’s and rental cars and free baggage collection the airport!) How much of a person’s time is spent waiting on transportation vs. touring? I can never tell.

7) The fascination of the Fur Suit. I have a secret fear that I will be forced to Tour with someone who waits hours in a fur-suit line.

8) The correct or the incorrect Resort to stay in. Plus, “What room should I ask for?” Close to the bus pick-up area? Pool view? Close to the Food Court? (And those soda machines!)
I usually just look for a bed and shower, in that order.

9) Park-hopping. I have learned this means very different things on each Coast. I’m not sure if I would attempt park hopping in FL, with exception to switching Resorts or Parks for one of the hard-to-get ADR’s with fur-suits that cost two meal vouchers.

10) The Castles. “Yours is bigger, mine is smaller. Mine was first, it has History. Walt built mine! He walked through mine in his pajamas! Yours was built the way Walt would have wanted it, your castle has presence and style! I can’t imagine the skyline with a tiny castle! I don’t feel like I’m in Disney until I see Cinderella’s!”

Thank you for sharing your first Disneyland trip with us: I loved the pictures and your great descriptions. I like how you had pictures for every step of your journey. I always imagine I can attempt a trip report like this, but I usually come home without all the "right" pictures. Reading your trip report was like receiving a present I had always wanted: it completely delivered!!

I look forward to reading your other trip reports on WDW, they will be helpful to plan my first WDW trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter