• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why is "Frozen" rated PG?

MidgeD79

It's a Small World summer of 2017
I haven't seen the movie yet but was wondering why the PG rating?

Tangled was rated PG too, but I really didn't see anything too bad in that one, either. I wondered if it had to do with the fact that the animation is SO realistic... it's definitely not cartoonish. But I found Frozen very tame... not scary or too mature at all for my 4-year-old. The scariest thing was the snow creature that Elsa creates, and she didn't even bat an eye at it.

A couple of times, a character says, "What the..." He doesn't say the actual word, just "What the.."

I don't know... that may be a reason for the PG rating too?

There is some mild violence, but it really is tame. W/o giving away any spoilers, the ice castle scene w/ Elsa, Hans, & the 2 guards is a little intense & there are some other dramatic scenes as well.

My 4 year old wasn't scared in "Frozen" (although he did get in my lap the 1st time we saw it during the Snow Monster scene); however, the dragon dean in "Monsters U" did scare him.

A couple of times, a character says, "What the..." He doesn't say the actual word, just "What the.."

There is some mild violence, but it really is tame. My 4 year old wasn't scared in "Frozen" (although he did get in my lap the 1st time we saw it during the Snow Monster scene); however, the dragon dean in "Monsters U" did scare him.

:confused3

There is some mild violence, but it really is tame. W/o giving away any spoilers, the ice castle scene w/ Elsa, Hans, & the 2 guards is a little intense & there are some other dramatic scenes as well.

My 4 year old wasn't scared in "Frozen" (although he did get in my lap the 1st time we saw it during the Snow Monster scene); however, the dragon dean in "Monsters U" did scare him.

MINE TOO! My 4yr. old wanted nothing to do with Monsters University. She was in my lap immediately after the Dean showed up. About 30 minutes before the movie ended she was done with the entire movie and we left. But Frozen, had no problems at all. She even said "I think he is cold and hungry" as an explanation for the Snow monster being angry. LOL :lmao:

It was indeed very tame. There is one innuendo I can think of that most kids would never ever catch. It was something about how a man's shoe size doesn't matter . . . .

There is one other tiny thing that jumped out at me but I cannot recall what it was so it must not have been much.

And besides the mild violence the only other thing I can think of was the relatively mature theme handled by Elsa about a woman being who she is and not trying to please everyone else. About the personal costs of letting go and being who you are (even if it means being alone) versus the personal cost of trying to do what's "right" and what's expected of you. Some people might view this is a simple cut and dried message but for me and for my DD12 it was a complex issue to ponder with plenty of gray area to discuss. :) So not really a bad or inappropriate message - just a mature topic with some great talking points for older kids and parents.

I have to be honest that I never looked at PG and G as being any different. I only started to get concerned when a film was rated PG-13...

Mild peril would be my guess. You hardly ever see a G rating anymore.

We saw it yesterday and didn't think anything was to bad in it. There was lots of younger kids there and I thought it was cute they were all laughing out loud. :goodvibes

And besides the mild violence the only other thing I can think of was the relatively mature theme handled by Elsa about a woman being who she is and not trying to please everyone else. About the personal costs of letting go and being who you are (even if it means being alone) versus the personal cost of trying to do what's "right" and what's expected of you. Some people might view this is a simple cut and dried message but for me and for my DD12 it was a complex issue to ponder with plenty of gray area to discuss. :) So not really a bad or inappropriate message - just a mature topic with some great talking points for older kids and parents.

This is a similar message to that in "Mulan;" learning to live with who YOU know you are, handling the concept of not meeting up to everyone else's expectations, being "true to your heart," etc. IMO a MUCH better topic than "girl is unhappy, girl meets boy, and they live happily ever after" that is seen in so many of the earlier Disney films!

We haven't seen "Frozen" yet; DD is 20 now so seeing Disney films is still on the list, just not at the immediate top of the "see it now" category. We also want to see "Saving Mr. Banks." I love that my grown up girl still wants to watch Disney movies with her old mom!

Because kids don't want to see G movies anymore.

The writers throw in some tiny little thing to "break the rules" and get a PG, so the older kids don't consider it babyish.

The PG rating was for "action and mild rude humor".

Like the "picks his nose and eats it" comment. (Which, if you stay for the full credits, you learn is apparently a statement not endorsed by Disney, but solely the comments of the actor in question, or something to that effect. We stayed for the extra snippet scene at the end, but DW caught that disclaimer.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter