Why is the car buying process so broken?

OMG…what an awful experience. I have purchased vehicles from the same salesperson for approximately thirty years. He made every transaction seamless. Unfortunately (for me) he retired last year. ☹️

The BBB won't get your money back. File a claim with your credit card issuer. I guarantee they will get the money back for you very quickly. I had a couple of companies ignore my emails and phone calls for weeks, but the minute I handed the problem to a bank to solve, action was immediate.

I suspect that they jerked you around because you paid cash. With cars in short supply and the resulting lower sales volume, the money they make on finance deals has become even more important to them.

PS: Once you do get the deposit credited, I'd consider reporting the dealership to a local television station (not the one that runs their ads!) about them deliberately hiding the mfr. credit. That sounds like it could be a possible systemic fraud scheme.
The BBB intervened with a purchase where the seller attempted to make a substitute even though I had a specific product in the contract. I was refunded in full. …$20k. They can potentially be useful.

I haven't bought a car in a long time, but I deal with car loans for a living. I can report that we have A LOT of unhappy Vroom customers. I cannot speak for the quality of their cars, but the way they handle getting title/registration work together for their customers is absolutely pathetic. For example: we still have cars from October-December that the buyers still don't even have plates for because Vroom has failed to get them their paperwork. Without the proper paperwork the car cannot be titled to the buyer. This could cause them problems if there is an insurance claim etc... it causes a BIG problem for the bank because we cannot perfect a lien on a title that does not exist. That makes us very unhappy.

Carvana seems to be better, however we the lending institutions are the ones who have the problem (more so than the customer). Carvana just seems to love adding their liens to cars that we made the loan for. We also have a lot of trouble with Kia and Hyundai lease buyouts...those can be a nightmare for the lender AND the customer.

Once I have gotten agreement on a price and specific car, I set a 60 minute timer on my phone, set it down and say "this is how long I will wait here for you to finish the paperwork before I walk away."

Works every time.

That's a really good idea. I will have to give that a shot as the back and forth all day crap pushes my BP to extreme levels.

This is part of the reason tesla sales are so hot..you know all the bs upfront then you just hit the order button.

Direct to consumer is great for delivery but admittedly can be not great for service.

We are looking to replace a vehicle but are trying to wait out this craziness since it's a traditional brand.

I *hate* buying cars! Hate it hate it hate it.

As a PP said, even though you did get the check (YAY!) I would definitely inform your state's attorney general office. They certainly have a consumer protection division. (If you post your state I'm happy to track down the appropriate link.)
All of those other people had money flat-out stolen from them. I'm certain the AG will want to hear about it.

I asked the local salesman how much was a jeep, as there was no price on it. I was looking at cars; there were not many on the lots; so I decided a jeep would be ok.

The sales kid. Told me twice he could not tell me the price of the jeep unless I said I would buy it first. Because his manger would be mad at him cause that is the way it worked. He would be fired. So I was to agree to whatever price he said.?

I was so mad. I was already standing up. I said to DH, we are out of here, I don’t want him fired. Startled them both. We left.

Found a jeep I liked in Iowa, the Iowa dealership would not trade to a local dealership. I talked to them twice. Texted 2 to 3 times. Texted a offer. They agreed.

Took a day. Went and got it. They had the paperwork ready. It was during covid. They wanted us - in and out. We changed the level of a warranty. They said they would figure out how to do it and sent us away. And they did. Sent us the new paperwork thru the mail. So easy, I could be tempted to do that again. And that is a shame I feel I need to.

I asked the local salesman how much was a jeep, as there was no price on it. I was looking at cars; there were not many on the lots; so I decided a jeep would be ok.

The sales kid. Told me twice he could not tell me the price of the jeep unless I said I would buy it first. Because his manger would be mad at him cause that is the way it worked. He would be fired. So I was to agree to whatever price he said.?

I was so mad. I was already standing up. I said to DH, we are out of here, I don’t want him fired. Startled them both. We left.

Found a jeep I liked in Iowa, the Iowa dealership would not trade to a local dealership. I talked to them twice. Texted 2 to 3 times. Texted a offer. They agreed.

Took a day. Went and got it. They had the paperwork ready. It was during covid. They wanted us - in and out. We changed the level of a warranty. They said they would figure out how to do it and sent us away. And they did. Sent us the new paperwork thru the mail. So easy, I could be tempted to do that again. And that is a shame I feel I need to.
A new car? The HAVE to have the Monroney sticker on the window on ALL new cars. It's federal law. It lists the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. Now, they don't have to sell the car at that price, they can sell it for less, or for more, but that price HAS to be there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter