Why no RCI sailings regularly out on the west coast?

luv2sleep

DIS Veteran
I've seen a few but they tend to be off season cruises. They have so many ships. Why not port one out here?

This is strictly a guess, but where are they going to go? From what I've heard, Mexican cruises aren't doing so well due to the crime reputation in Mexico, and Canada/Alaska is hardly a year-round destination. There are SO many more possible places to sail to on the east coast that don't require a long time at sea. To get to Central America from California would be quite a shlep.

Sayhello

This is strictly a guess, but where are they going to go? From what I've heard, Mexican cruises aren't doing so well due to the crime reputation in Mexico, and Canada/Alaska is hardly a year-round destination. There are SO many more possible places to sail to on the east coast that don't require a long time at sea. To get to Central America from California would be quite a shlep. Sayhello

True but Carnival is here and so is Princess. They do MR, AK, CA Coastal, Hawaii, etc.

Hello,
I might be able to help answer this. First just to let you know my wife have cruised every year for the past 10yrs on RCI. We have taken a cruise out of LA before to mexico. The reason they no longer do the cruises out of the west coast besides Alaska is for 2 reasons. 1. They were not filling up the ships and this was even at a very cheap rate they wouldn't fill up. 2. As said by sayhello the crime was getting very bad in some of those ports. RCI had a tour in one port that got stuck in a shootout between 2 drug lords and they did have one guest that was hurt. This was the end of the cruises for RCI to that area. I can also say that a lot of stores and company's move out of the ports there for this same issue. Hope this helps

The only west coast activity as of now is Jewel of the Seas in Sept and Oct of 2015. Jewel is allegedly a gorgeous ship :) That would be great if she did well out there and you guys got her full time. Well, great for you, bad for us lol.

The only west coast activity as of now is Jewel of the Seas in Sept and Oct of 2015. Jewel is allegedly a gorgeous ship :) That would be great if she did well out there and you guys got her full time. Well, great for you, bad for us lol.

Sailing out from which port?

Sailing out from which port?

I think I just read on cruisecritic about it being out of Los Angeles.

I'm just trying to figure out how a whole summer full of sailings from Vancouver isn't considered regular west coast sailings. It's mystifying to me.

Then again I have absolutely ZERO interest in Mexico.

Oh wait, there are repositioning cruises between BC and Hawaii this and next year; was just looking at those on RCCL.

I see an abundance of west coast cruises while others see nothing.

I think I just read on cruisecritic about it being out of Los Angeles. I'm just trying to figure out how a whole summer full of sailings from Vancouver isn't considered regular west coast sailings. It's mystifying to me. Then again I have absolutely ZERO interest in Mexico. Oh wait, there are repositioning cruises between BC and Hawaii this and next year; was just looking at those on RCCL. I see an abundance of west coast cruises while others see nothing.

When I look for them during the times I can go during school break, sailing out of a CA port, I haven't seem much. However I haven't looked into 2014 or 2015. I has looked at 2013. So I should have said CA sailings during peak season.

I'm going to go check again.

Just checked. The only port in CA that RCI touches is San Diego. They are off season repositioning cruises to and from Ft Lauderdale. .Wasn't actually interested in Alaska myself. I don't know any ppl who include Canada in the terms West Coast and East Coast description. Anyway it just doesn't exist. There's Carnival and Princess though.

Just checked. The only port in CA that RCI touches is San Diego. They are off season repositioning cruises to and from Ft Lauderdale. .Wasn't actually interested in Alaska myself. I don't know any ppl who include Canada in the terms West Coast and East Coast description. Anyway it just doesn't exist. There's Carnival and Princess though.

Maybe when you live in driving distance of Vancouver it changes your perspective. Anyway now you do know of someone who includes it. And why shouldn't it be included I wonder?

And it's not Canada so much as Alaska. West coast of the US and all as a destination. BC is just where they leave from. (Also on the west coast of the continent)

Post is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1955778

Refers to this site: http://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html. Drop down to 2025 and scroll! Likely just a repositioning cruise or timefiller or something but still. Was a surprise to those on cc.

Maybe when you live in driving distance of Vancouver it changes your perspective. Anyway now you do know of someone who includes it. And why shouldn't it be included I wonder? And it's not Canada so much as Alaska. West coast of the US and all as a destination. BC is just where they leave from. (Also on the west coast of the continent) Post is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1955778 Refers to this site: http://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html. Drop down to 2025 and scroll! Likely just a repositioning cruise or timefiller or something but still. Was a surprise to those on cc.

Oh so it's just on a port schedule! It can't be booked yet I guess. I see. It's during school though. Thx!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter