• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

why not allow 5 people in a one bedroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lodgelady

DIS Veteran
Hello all...my sister is considering buying DVC and one of the reasons is that last year her family (2 adults & 3 kids) stayed with cash at OKW in a one bedroom and loved it. Now that she is looking to buy she asked me why her family of 5 couldn't stay on points in that same one bedroom. Good question. Anyone know the answer? :rolleyes:

Search this board...you will find zillions of responses on this topic.

Bottom line, a 1 bedroom has a king bed and a pull out sleeper sofa..bedding available for 4 people. Towels etc. left for 4 people. All DVC documents spell out occupancy limits as 4 in studio or 1 bedroom, 8 in a 2 bedroom and 12 in a 3 bedroom/grand villa.

You can have a child under 3 in addition to the 4 people, as there is a portacrib in the closet. (I think the age cut off is 3, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)

When you read the prior posts on this topic, you'll see it is one that has opinions on both sides..those for and against allowing more than the stated limits.

Happy reading!

In reality, points or cash, there should not have been 5 people, unless one was under 3, in the one bedroom.
The reasons stated by lodgelady are right on the money, I cannot add more.

Thanks for the replies. I tried doing a search, but wasn't successful finding a relevant thread. Anyway, I was more interested in why she was able to do something with cash she couldn't do with points. Bottom line is that it seems either it was a mistake that she had 5 in that room or they are not as stringent in upholding that standard with cash guests as she told me she did not try to sneak the 3rd kid in or anything.

hi: they aren't overly stringent about enforcing the 4 to a 1br villa. there simply isn't any bedding provided for the 5th person. there are concerns regarding occupancy/fire codes. with over 700 s/f at bwv or vwl and about 1000 at okw, these units are larger than the 350-390 s/f generally found at the deluxes that sleep 5 to a room. many people have brought the inflatable mattresses with them. this is against the rules, but the rules don't seem to be enforced that much.

It hardly makes sense when they allow 5 in room at the Polynesian. The 1 bedrooms are twice the size of a regular room with less occupancy allowed

But one of the things that makes OKW so attractive is its peacefullness. It was built for a certain number of guests. People buy in very well aware of the rules that were made so that a certain level of vacation experience could be had. Add an extra person or two to the occupancy limits and that level of vacation experience is no longer available.

Hmmm the five in a 1 bedroom villa is being revisited... this topic does come up a bit... and personally, I think it's ridiculous they'll only allow 4 in a villa that is 750 to 1000 square feet large!! Whereas in a 350-400 square foot room allows 5... Also, I want to point out that *some* Boardwalk studios also allow 5, because they have a small daybed... Where is the sense??? I think some 1 bedrooms should have a small daybed in place of a living room chair!!! We only have 2 children & thankfully so!! When the kids are this young, there's no reason to get a 2 bedroom... our kids are 3 & 6... they wouldn't sleep in a second bedroom if we PAID THEM!!! Thankfully as I said, we'll never face that 5 in a 1 bedroom rule....

That is one reason I am rethinking a purchase in DVC. I am a single Mom with two kids and if I decide that I want to ask a friend of mine, also a single mom, and her son I will have to book a two bedroom whick would cost way to many points for 5 people. Since I would sleep in the King bed w/ my two kids and my friend could share the couch bed with her son we could comfortably fit 5 in without breaking any codes or setting up another bed.

I can see why they wouldn't want 5 adults in the room but two adults and three kids under ten wouldn't be a strain on anyone.

Unless you really want the full kitchen, it's cheaper points-wise just to get 2 studios. For us there's not much incentive to spend the points for a one bedroom (3 in our family). Sure the washer/dryer are nice, but not the kitchen. When I'm on vacation, I'm not doing any cooking!;)

This is topic which usually generates some heated discussion and has, in the past, resulted in the thread being closed or moved to the Debate Board. In fact, it has been placed on the "forbidden topics" list by Pete himself.

There is a <a href="http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53589&highlight=occupancy">thread on the Debate Board</a> about this very issue and further comment is welcome there. Please check it out.

Thanks!

I just had a friend that returned last month from staying at HH at a resort called Port of Call. They had a 3 BR but had to sign a legal document stating that if they had more than 8 in the room they would leave and would be charged something like $250 and if they came back and still weren't gone it would double to $500. This was an exchange through RCI who has gotten really strict about giving people the same usage as they gave up regardless of the unit size. They will give someone that exchanged a studio that sleeps 2, a 2 BR units that sleeps "2".

I have 3 young children and this was a major concern when we were signing the contract (BWV). We had budgeted for enough points for a one bedroom and brought the room occupancy up to our salesperson. He specifically advised that, "There are no room police", and as long as we were comfortable in a 1BR or even a studio, for that matter, there was no problem.

So we finalized the deal due to this statment made by the salesperson. I hope he was being truthful.

So far we have stayed in a 1BR at HH and there was more than enough room. A 2BR would have been overkill for us.

Dom

The Polynesian has two queen beds and one day bed. That sleeps five. Some of the BWV have a queen bed, a double sleeper sofa and a tiny day bed. That sleeps five. The one bedroom has a king sized bed and a sleeper sofa. That sleeps four.

your sales person was right....no one will know...do not tell anyone at the front desk:) :D :cool: ;) ;) ;) ;)

Apparently, some have missed the earlier invitation to make further comments on the <a href="http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53589&highlight=occupancy">Debate Board thread.</a>

Please contribute any further advice on that forum.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter