• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why not Free Popcorn for Movies??

I actually love the bagged popcorn you get in concierge so we bring that when staying there. That said, when not in concierge I go up to pool deck and get a hot pretzel for the movies. Yummy.

I actually love the bagged popcorn you get in concierge so we bring that when staying there. That said, when not in concierge I go up to pool deck and get a hot pretzel for the movies. Yummy.

The one time Dcl does provide free popcorn is on the Turner Classic movie cruise that charters Disney ships. This year is nov. 12 to 19 on the fantasy. There are lots of movie screenings and they note that popcorn is free. Always cracks me up!

I bought movie theater candy before hand because I knew we were going to see the Jungle Book on our cruise. We bought one bag of popcorn for a different movie, but always filled up cups with soda on deck 11 beforehand.

Yeah, I never understood why DCL charges for popcorn at the movie theatre. I guess I'll just stick with bringing my own food from the Flo's Cafe into the movie theatre.

I should of clarified. Yes its sealed and bagged popcorn so as to not intermingle with the paws of the non-concierge savages

LOL, yes for the people in steerage.
Us old DCL farts that can remember when they only had that bad bagged popcorn that you could buy....DBFP (The days before fresh popcorn)
Once you go fresh you'll never go back.

Can you take food or snacks from breakfast or lunch and take it into the theater?
We have always taken snacks in with no issues until our last cruise on the Fantasy (Christmas 2015). As we were walking in, a CM told us we could not bring our fries in the Buena Vista Theater and while I was trying to get my kids to hand the plate off to me so I could take it out of the theater while they got seats she came over and said it again. I figured it was a new policy.

Last edited:
Free popcorn for only an extra $25K :scratchin Might have to consider concierge ... or NOT

if everyone had popcorn the theater would be a bigger mess than it already is. When leaving the evening shows it seems like there had been several popcorn accidents every time. There's popped everywhere.

With DCL you have to consider the "kid factor". Kids=mess. At least that seems to be the case in my house. Movie theatres seem to manage the clean up so why can't DCL. Geez we pay enough for the cruise to get free popcorn.

From what i remember fresh popped popcorn used to not be a thing onboard. Or at least we could not find it for years. They only sold small bags at the snack counter/gift shop of the hard pre-popped stuff that was probably popped on shore at WDW and shipped over. Its the same kind available in WDW hotel gift shops. Perhaps since this was an "extra" merchandise thing they just stuck with selling fresh popped popcorn instead of making something free that they also sell? Like why give up the profits if you already have people willing to buy it?

Just my guess.

this is the one topic I cannot get DH to shut up about.... every single time someone asks about the cruise, he says all the great things and always is sure to point out the popcorn $$... he will poop himself when he discovers next year the concierge lounge has it for free LOL, I guess I'll save the surprise for him

I agree. I thought it was very odd on our first cruise.

But, I went and grabbed some free pizza and other snacks. No-one seemed to mind (and we of course took care not to spill it anywhere and had napkins so our greasy fingers were touching the chairs).

Costco sells those mini cones of Popcornopolis. This may just me by next FE gift if we do Disney again.

On the couple cruises mentioned on other lines that had free popcorn, did they actually have a real movie theatre on board. On a carnival ship once, they had a movie day - went to the lounge and wow "a tv" set and "vcr" tape. Exciting - of course, the crowd was rather small as well. Not like the state of the art, 3-D movies on the Disney Ships. I guess what I am saying is do the other ships give away a few bags of popcorn vs. how much would be needed to feed the mass number of folks in the Walt Disney Theatre or Buena Vista theatres??? The cost is cheap but could they really keep popping enough to keep up with demand? But yes, free popcorn would be nice.

Typically, full meals are not allowed in the Walt Disney Theater, but may or may not be in the Buena Vista Theater. Snack-type foods (fries, ice cream) are allowed in both theaters (in my experience).
Not sure if alcohol is allowed, we always bring beer, no one has ever said a word to us...

Hey Steve, and yes, alcohol is allowed and in fact they sell it in the WD Theater.

AKK
Whats up Skip.....

Oh yeah I forgot...

Booked our next cruise 5 night double dip to Castaway next summer. Cabanas on island might make this VERY expensive
: )

if everyone had popcorn the theater would be a bigger mess than it already is. When leaving the evening shows it seems like there had been several popcorn accidents every time. There's popped everywhere.
This.

Good question, btw, OP!

Whats up Skip.....

Oh yeah I forgot...

Booked our next cruise 5 night double dip to Castaway next summer. Cabanas on island might make this VERY expensive
: )

More Power to you guy. Cabanas, are just a bit over the top for us. Our next one is next March on the FANTASY again. All the family is going, including the brothers and their families!

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter