Why not more days for Palo brunch

Magical_Suitcase

aka: kid-at-heart
Palo brunch is so popular that new cruisers or those who reserve late often cannot reserve a space. Why does not DCL offer this option on port days. I imagine many would schedule their excursions around a Palo brunch, I know I would. I think that Palo does occasionally have a brunch when visiting Nassau but why not other ports?

Kate

Palo brunch is so popular that new cruisers or those who reserve late often cannot reserve a space. Why does not DCL offer this option on port days. I imagine many would schedule their excursions around a Palo brunch, I know I would. I think that Palo does occasionally have a brunch when visiting Nassau but why not other ports?

Kate
Just a guess, but I'd say the Palo servers aren't available to serve brunch on port days. Now, whether they have the day off (a perk for being good enough to be a Palo server), or they are being utilized in other areas to fill in for other CMs off on that day, I don't know.

The Palo brunch on the Nassau day is a fairly recent addition. Has to do with low numbers of people actually getting off the ship in Nassau.

Just a guess, but I'd say the Palo servers aren't available to serve brunch on port days. Now, whether they have the day off (a perk for being good enough to be a Palo server), or they are being utilized in other areas to fill in for other CMs off on that day, I don't know.

The Palo brunch on the Nassau day is a fairly recent addition. Has to do with low numbers of people actually getting off the ship in Nassau.

During our Alaska cruise the Palo servers were working Daisy's Delites and Pinocchio's but I would think that more money could be generated for DCL if they were working in Palos rather the "fast food" places. You certainly could be right about Nassau. We stay on the ship when Nassau is the port.

Last edited:
I always assumed they didn’t want to discourage people from taking their excursions (which have a huge DCL markup). A lot of their excursions are $50-100/person over booking independently. So our family of 4 nets them $200-$400 on an excursion and would only net them $60 minus food expenses at Palo. That’s just one Family.

When we did our Baltic (which is a more port intensive and special cruise) the cruise director told us during the Castaway Reception that Disney had made more of the excursions that cruise than they did off the cruise fares that cruise.

I always assumed they didn’t want to discourage people from taking their excursions (which have a huge DCL markup). A lot of their excursions are $50-100/person over booking independently. So our family of 4 nets them $200-$400 on an excursion and would only net them $60 minus food expenses at Palo. That’s just one Family.

When we did our Baltic (which is a more port intensive and special cruise) the cruise director told us during the Castaway Reception that Disney had made more of the excursions that cruise than they did off the cruise fares that cruise.

This totally make sense. I am sure that DCL gets a huge cut from the excursions.

It’s a combination of many things but a large part of it is that while the ship is in port, some CM’s have that time off and leave the ship. Others must then cover those areas. We asked our server on our last cruise and he said as much- that when the ship is in port he is assigned to cover other areas or participate in crew safety drills.

Yes, they make more $$ having Palo open because it’s an upcharge but when a family by the pool wants lunch and it’s closed because there aren’t CM’s to man it, DCL stands to lose money there as well when that family doesn’t book another cruise. There aren’t a lot of extra people on a ship and frequently servers from any main dining room can be found doing other things when they aren’t in the dining room. We frequently had our server from dinner flipping our eggs at breakfast the next day (so when they get a day off to leave the ship, it’s well deserved).

Well, that's because they don't fill the tables at all times. It makes for a much more relaxed atmosphere if the place isn't full of people. For both the guests and servers.

We had our Palo dinner at 6, which is when they open. That made it really noticeable how they stagger things. There weren't a lot of us, but then a new wave arrived at 6:30 and an even larger one at 7:00.

It’s a combination of many things but a large part of it is that while the ship is in port, some CM’s have that time off and leave the ship. Others must then cover those areas. We asked our server on our last cruise and he said as much- that when the ship is in port he is assigned to cover other areas or participate in crew safety drills.

Yes, they make more $$ having Palo open because it’s an upcharge but when a family by the pool wants lunch and it’s closed because there aren’t CM’s to man it, DCL stands to lose money there as well when that family doesn’t book another cruise. There aren’t a lot of extra people on a ship and frequently servers from any main dining room can be found doing other things when they aren’t in the dining room. We frequently had our server from dinner flipping our eggs at breakfast the next day (so when they get a day off to leave the ship, it’s well deserved).

Oh my yes, the CMs do deserve time off, they work way too many hours, for days at a time and at long stretches of time. I am just curious that when Disney seems to be trying to make as much money as possible from every angle possible that they have not increased the number of days that Palo serves brunches. The brunches are very popular and it seems to be another way DCL could increase revenue .

The brunches are very popular and it seems to be another way DCL could increase revenue .

As mentioned the impact of the port adventures would be noticed. DCL is looking at this from a much higher perspective than you are. Just because revenue could increase by adding the brunch to port days it is not enough. They are not only looking at the amount of revenue increase but comparing it to potential loss at other revenue streams.

Also don’t some port contracts state that a certain number of people need to be brought by the ships each year/contract period? If tours and port traffic decrease DCL likely is at risk for breach of contract with these people and could lose future excursions and ports of call. There was a big push between the cruise lines and port of Nassau/Bahamas not long ago for this very reason.

we have had brunch on the 4 day, and we spoke to our server who said that they used to offer brunch on Nassau day but it was not popular and eventually cancelled.
Knock on wood now that I'm Gold it's not really an issue, but when I was Silver we would also directly head to the Palo reservations table upon boarding. (always got one)

We're on a 3 day Dream cruise in May and have a Palo brunch reservation on the Nassau day.

This is just a total guess, nobody has ever told me this....I always assumed they couldn’t have it open in port because it’s a restaurant where you pay for your meal. The gift shops are not allowed to be open unless the boat is out at sea. I wonder if the same rules would apply to a restaurant. It would perhaps be able to sometimes serve in Nassau because the ship is registered in the Bahamas. Like I said, just a guess.

We're on a 3 day Dream cruise in May and have a Palo brunch reservation on the Nassau day.
For the 3-night cruises with no sea day, Nassau day would be the only opportunity for Palo brunch to be offered. On the 4-night itinerary, they can do it on the sea day. I believe they stopped offering brunch on Nassau day in this case, after trying it for some time.

I was hoping for a Nassau day brunch on our 4 night with a CC double dip. But from a past navigator (2018) it seems they offer it on the last day, which is day #2 at CC. We booked this one to have two days there, so we are switching to dinner. But if a miracle happens and they have brunch on Nassau day, we will do that instead.

Total guess. Stores can’t be open during port. Is it possible that Palo can’t be open either because it charges? Maybe they got special permission for Nassau.

This is just a total guess, nobody has ever told me this....I always assumed they couldn’t have it open in port because it’s a restaurant where you pay for your meal. The gift shops are not allowed to be open unless the boat is out at sea. I wonder if the same rules would apply to a restaurant. It would perhaps be able to sometimes serve in Nassau because the ship is registered in the Bahamas. Like I said, just a guess.
I don't think so. Since DCL does do Palo brunch on Nassau day on the 3 night cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter