Why not RCI Exchange?

Perelandra

Mouseketeer
I understand that the DVC resorts are the best value, but if you already are a DVC member, and you want to change up a year and travel somewhere else, why not do the RCI exchange? I've read a lot of negative posts about how it's not a good deal and you should pay cash, but when I browsed the exchange website, I found several great options of places to stay around the world for what I thought was a reasonable point total, and I could keep my cash.
I understand that I could probably buy an RCI timeshare somewhere else cheaper and that DVC wouldn't be a good deal if I wanted to do an exchange all the time, but that is not my situation or question, so is there anything that I'm missing that would be negative about using points on RCI once every few years or so? Thanks!

I think there are several considerations. The first -- which doesn't apply in your situation -- is the idea of using the ability to exchange via RCI as a justification for a DVC purchase. That's just plain dumb for a number of reasons, primarily because that ability is NOT guaranteed and could go away at any time. But we see it often in purchase decision threads.

The other issue is that of "value." Many people think that RCI resorts will not be up to DVC standards. Others think they are paying a high price for a DVC/RCI exchange.

My personal attitude is that they are YOUR points and you do what you want with them. If you want to go to Las Vegas, your RCI exchange resort will be much better than the DVC resort in Las Vegas.

I've never used DVC for an exchange, but I have used Wyndham and one of the best exchanges we've ever done was to a one-star place on Cape Cod. It was like a Motel 6, but it was spacious, spotless, had a gracious and helpful staff, and it was located 3 miles from our uncle's house. We would certainly gladly stay there again, especially for only $250 or so per week. To me, that was great value.

As far as the "DVC standards" question, you have to do your own research into resorts. You may find some resorts better than DVC, you may find some not as nice...but worthwhile anyway because of the location. It's a little ironic that we think "location, location, location" in justifying DVC, but ignore location when discussing exchanges. And with regard to "standards," would you exchange into a place that only had paper plates and plastic utensils in their studios? I would, and have (Wyndham/RCI --> DVC). DVC is hardly the gold standard for luxurious accommodations in the timeshare industry; DVC is average or a little above, but with great location.

Another "value" consideration is cost, and with many DVC/RCI exchanges you will be paying WAY less than you'd be paying at a DVC resort. The points are lower, and your $95 exchange fee is less than half of what I pay with Wyndham.

As with any timeshare exchange, you are most likely to get a good exchange during low or shoulder seasons. You should also learn the exchange system, which is very different from the DVC system. Your understanding of how to use an exchange system is often the key to making it work for your family.

I think there are several considerations. The first -- which doesn't apply in your situation -- is the idea of using the ability to exchange via RCI as a justification for a DVC purchase. That's just plain dumb for a number of reasons, primarily because that ability is NOT guaranteed and could go away at any time. But we see it often in purchase decision threads.

The other issue is that of "value." Many people think that RCI resorts will not be up to DVC standards. Others think they are paying a high price for a DVC/RCI exchange.

My personal attitude is that they are YOUR points and you do what you want with them. If you want to go to Las Vegas, your RCI exchange resort will be much better than the DVC resort in Las Vegas.

I've never used DVC for an exchange, but I have used Wyndham and one of the best exchanges we've ever done was to a one-star place on Cape Cod. It was like a Motel 6, but it was spacious, spotless, had a gracious and helpful staff, and it was located 3 miles from our uncle's house. We would certainly gladly stay there again, especially for only $250 or so per week. To me, that was great value.

As far as the "DVC standards" question, you have to do your own research into resorts. You may find some resorts better than DVC, you may find some not as nice...but worthwhile anyway because of the location. It's a little ironic that we think "location, location, location" in justifying DVC, but ignore location when discussing exchanges. And with regard to "standards," would you exchange into a place that only had paper plates and plastic utensils in their studios? I would, and have (Wyndham/RCI --> DVC). DVC is hardly the gold standard for luxurious accommodations in the timeshare industry; DVC is average or a little above, but with great location.

Another "value" consideration is cost, and with many DVC/RCI exchanges you will be paying WAY less than you'd be paying at a DVC resort. The points are lower, and your $95 exchange fee is less than half of what I pay with Wyndham.

As with any timeshare exchange, you are most likely to get a good exchange during low or shoulder seasons. You should also learn the exchange system, which is very different from the DVC system. Your understanding of how to use an exchange system is often the key to making it work for your family.
Thank you. That is helpful.

I think the negative on RCI with DVC points is, that you can purchase a much less expensive timeshare that trade well with RCI.
So don't over buy DVC so you can trade out, there are much less expensive way to achieve the same goal. But if you have the points and need/want a change of locations, go for it.

I think the negative on RCI with DVC points is, that you can purchase a much less expensive timeshare that trade well with RCI.
So don't over buy DVC so you can trade out, there are much less expensive way to achieve the same goal. But if you have the points and need/want a change of locations, go for it.
OK, that is what I suspected, so in summary: Shouldn't buy in originally for RCI, but in cases like mine, if you already own and want to go somewhere besides Disney every now and then, it can be a good use of points, especially if you don't want to mess with renting out your points and booking out of pocket at non-DVC resorts.

OK, that is what I suspected, so in summary: Shouldn't buy in originally for RCI, but in cases like mine, if you already own and want to go somewhere besides Disney every now and then, it can be a good use of points, especially if you don't want to mess with renting out your points and booking out of pocket at non-DVC resorts.
That's my take on it, but there are a lot of people who think DVC/RCI is almost always going to be a "low-value" trade, including some very knowledgeable timeshare folks.

But bottom line, they are your points. If you're happy with your exchange, that's really all that matters (IMHO).

I understand that the DVC resorts are the best value, but if you already are a DVC member, and you want to change up a year and travel somewhere else, why not do the RCI exchange? I've read a lot of negative posts about how it's not a good deal and you should pay cash, but when I browsed the exchange website, I found several great options of places to stay around the world for what I thought was a reasonable point total, and I could keep my cash.
I understand that I could probably buy an RCI timeshare somewhere else cheaper and that DVC wouldn't be a good deal if I wanted to do an exchange all the time, but that is not my situation or question, so is there anything that I'm missing that would be negative about using points on RCI once every few years or so? Thanks!
A subset of exchange options are very reasonable and truly a good value but the problem is that they are very unlikely to be available. I have other exchange options that work better and are a better value but were I to only own DVC, I'd only consider trading if I could trade up. Something like Maui or Aruba during a high season for top resorts. The fact that DVC is easily rentable also gives you options that one might not have otherwise. IMO it's never a reasonable option to buy planning to exchange but if one does own and wants to hold out for the top options, no harm done. But there are other negatives as noted. There's the fee, loss of control and that one is an exchanger on the other end and at the mercy of the timeshare in question. So basically do you want to trade a BMW for a Chevy and have other negatives that go along with it. If you do, make sure you learn the system, plan well ahead (AT LEAST a year), investigate well so you understand what you're getting into and put in an ongoing search. Don't accept the RCI rating as sufficient information and safety of an adequate exchange.

Here's an extreme example but it's a real one based on out trips. A few years ago we went to Cabo and stayed 2 weeks. The resort was very nice and in the RCI Registry collection. The numbers have changed slightly I believe but at the time the 1 week (1 BR) would have been 600 DVC points and the second week (2 BR) would have been 900 points. So 15000 (well over $15K rental) DVC points for 2 weeks that cost me maybe $600 to $650 total for the 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I own RCI points and you have to be really flexible as you don't know when and if your ongoing search will match. Lately the matches have been Saratoga and Old Key West, and 1 bedrooms, which are great, but if you are looking for something else, I would not count on it. I would add the costs of the yearly maintenance fee of the RCI points, add the exchange fee and then the fee Disney charges for exchanges ( I think it is not around 150.00)and see if it makes sense. That being said I am in the process of looking for a DVC resale.

D

I agree with PP about not buying DVC to trade via RCI. But, there are many excellent options to use DVC for a vacation via RCI, esp. if you dpon't want to bother with renting your points and then paying cash.
We have traded (with another RCI TS) into various villas at Hilton Head. This is a very good option, as it is very difficult to trade into DVC HHI. The quality ranges from almost equivalent to DVC to somewhat lower. But, for a week in the summer at the beach, does that really matter? Most resorts in RCI at HHI are not on the beach, but a short walk or bike ride away. In fact, DVC HHI is not on the beach either. HHI is an excellent family vacation. We liked it so much, after 3 RCI trades, we bought a summer fixed week TS @ HHI.
Williamsburg, VA is also an excellent choice. Again, quality of Greensprings and Governors Green is fine, maybe just a step down from DVC. There are many others, but from the others we stayed at, a big step down from DVC.
Smugglers Notch in VT is a fabulous family resort, both winter (info from friends) and summer (we loved it). The units range from older and definitely a step down from DVC to just as nice. We got the older unit. Large and well-maintained, with older furnishings, etc,. But, this was one of our top vacations. So much to do at the resort, as well as numerous day trips within 2 hours. Again, do granite countertop and newer sofas matter when your family says that was the best trip ever?
Welk Resort, CA, near SD. This resort is in a beautiful setting. Our unit looked liked it was out of a magazine. About 45 minute drive to SD, 30 minutes to Carlsbad, beaches. We had an excellent week, golfing at the resort, SD zoo, battleship, Carlbad, touring a mission, and soaking up the atmosphere. There are several RCI resorts in Carlsbad area, if you wanted to be closer to the beach.
Hawaii is another place for RCI trades. All of the HGVC on the Big Island are excellent, IMHO, and a fabulous "value" for DVC points. HGVC Big I is one of our fav destination.
We also got a RCI trade for Vincennes, France, outside of Paris, but decided we wanted to stay closer to Disneyland Paris.
All of above are IMHO. I somewhat agree with the BMW for Chevy trades, but that Chevy was in a beautiful area with a very happy family. In terms of unit and resort (not factoring in the destination) the HGVC Big I and SD area trades were equivalent, with HHI, Wllbg, VT solid Chevys.
For RCI, you need to start a search MORE THAN 1 year out, as savvy RCI traders will be in the queue ahead of you. By 9 mths, most good stuff has been taken. Elaine

Last edited:
...so is there anything that I'm missing that would be negative about using points on RCI once every few years or so? Thanks!
One thing that has not been mentioned is what happens if you confirm an RCI exchange and then have to cancel. Those points do NOT come back into your DVC account, so be sure you understand the ramifications of an RCI cancellation.

Exchanges are a totally different system from DVC bookings, so you have to go to school and learn a new system. The more you know -- and understand -- the better exchanges will work for you.

Until about a year ago, DVC was only allowed access to 500? RCI locations, now they have increased that number but it could also decrease in the future.

IMO they allow RCI trades because it looks good on paper when people are thinking of buying DVC.

:earsboy: Bill

Until about a year ago, DVC was only allowed access to 500? RCI locations, now they have increased that number but it could also decrease in the future.

IMO they allow RCI trades because it looks good on paper when people are thinking of buying DVC.

Yes. A year or so ago, the number was a little less than 600, as I recall. Now it's about 3,000 of the 3,200 RCI resorts.

Some will say that's an insignificant change because the quality of the 600 was higher than the 3,000 -- but I personally think it was a BIG upgrade for DVC just in terms of offering so many more destinations.

You have to be a little careful with RCI numbers because they have two systems and some resorts operate in both systems. So if a resort has offerings in both Points and Weeks, it will be double-counted.

Only time I will consider a exchange to RCI will be if my points are going to expire and I can not use/ rent it. You can deposit your RCI points upto 45 days before your use yr anniversary and they are good for 3 yrs after RCI deposit.

Only time I will consider a exchange to RCI will be if my points are going to expire and I can not use/ rent it. You can deposit your RCI points upto 45 days before your use yr anniversary and they are good for 3 yrs after RCI deposit.
3 years, or 2 years?

Yes. A year or so ago, the number was a little less than 600, as I recall. Now it's about 3,000 of the 3,200 RCI resorts.

Some will say that's an insignificant change because the quality of the 600 was higher than the 3,000 -- but I personally think it was a BIG upgrade for DVC just in terms of offering so many more destinations.

You have to be a little careful with RCI numbers because they have two systems and some resorts operate in both systems. So if a resort has offerings in both Points and Weeks, it will be double-counted.
I fall in the middle but closer to Bill's view. MOST of the resorts added give additional choices but not resorts that are generally reasonable options. What it does add is limited availability resorts and new resorts that typically weren't being offered but likely should have been. Mostly this happened for new resorts because it took time for DVC to know enough about them to add them and for limited availability because they chose not to list those because it hurt their successful exchange % most likely. But sometimes there are resorts that didn't make the cut that were reasonable for a given persons' situation. So it gives more choices, usually a good thing but in this case not so much. One really should investigate the exchange process and resorts prior to accepting an exchange (or listing for a possible match) but a large % of DVC members don't and assume it'll be OK. I've seen many reviews from DVC members where they said something to the effect they assumed it Disney put it on the list it'd be comparable, most aren't even with the limited list. It comes back to the point they didn't investigate so I put it back on the member since they could have avoided it but the reality is many approach things in such as way as they don't do the due diligence they should.

IMO the time to think about it for all members that have sufficient points is for the top options in high demand areas like Maui. Even if one just keeps the request running with the idea if it does match, they'll go. But that likely fits for about 50-60 resorts in high season and getting those options is fairly unlikely.

One really should investigate the exchange process and resorts prior to accepting an exchange (or listing for a possible match) but a large % of DVC members don't and assume it'll be OK. I've seen many reviews from DVC members where they said something to the effect they assumed if Disney put it on the list it'd be comparable, most aren't even with the limited list. It comes back to the point they didn't investigate so I put it back on the member since they could have avoided it but the reality is many approach things in such as way as they don't do the due diligence they should.
Agree, and the bolded part about owner expectations of DVC looking out for them is especially important.

There are two things you really have to do for yourself in exchanging; nobody else can or will do them for you.

First, learn and understand the system you are using. Know its strengths and its weaknesses. Know how to use the system to maximize your possibilities for success. With RCI, learn what an "ongoing search" is, what it is not, when you can use an OGS, and when you cannot. Learn how to select acceptable resorts/destinations for your ongoing searches.

Understand what the process is when you get a match.
  • How long do you have to decide?
  • How do you confirm?
  • What do you do if you want to decline the match?
  • What happens to your search if you decline?
  • What happens to your points if you confirm an exchange and later have to cancel?

Second, carefully research potential resorts.
  • Are they up to your standards for this trip?
  • Does their location outweigh any downgrade in accommodations?
  • Are there extra resort fees involved?
  • Is the resort all-inclusive? (If so, you may be looking at huge dining fees not included in your exchange.)

Don't assume anything. Research thoroughly.

Agree, and the bolded part about owner expectations of DVC looking out for them is especially important.

There are two things you really have to do for yourself in exchanging; nobody else can or will do them for you.

First, learn and understand the system you are using. Know its strengths and its weaknesses. Know how to use the system to maximize your possibilities for success. With RCI, learn what an "ongoing search" is, what it is not, when you can use an OGS, and when you cannot. Learn how to select acceptable resorts/destinations for your ongoing searches.

Understand what the process is when you get a match.
  • How long do you have to decide?
  • How do you confirm?
  • What do you do if you want to decline the match?
  • What happens to your search if you decline?
  • What happens to your points if you confirm an exchange and later have to cancel?

Second, carefully research potential resorts.
  • Are they up to your standards for this trip?
  • Does their location outweigh any downgrade in accommodations?
  • Are there extra resort fees involved?
  • Is the resort all-inclusive? (If so, you may be looking at huge dining fees not included in your exchange.)

Don't assume anything. Research thoroughly.
I'll add that a great exchange for one person is not suitable for another. I recall reading someone who matched I think it was Cliff Club in Kauai and was planning on a lot of beach activities. They assumed HI equals beach but it wasn't really so for their exchange even though the resort they got was an extremely nice resort. One thing to remember with DVC exchanges is that the normal rules for RCI aren't always applicable. For example, you don't get the normal 1 day to change your mind and the cancelation rules and options are different DVC used to give you the option of confirming after a match by calling, now it's done automatically without options for ongoing searches assuming it was a true match. Sometimes RCI will match something that's close then reverse it if you don't want it, I don't think they do that with DVC though.

Speaking as someone who has used, and will use, our DVC points for trade outs, I believe it's totally a personal preference. We've had amazing experiences with trading out (Sedona, AZ being the best), and not so amazing, (a Cape Cod resort we thought left MUCH to desire). Our personal opinion is why lay out money for a room if a trade out is available? Especially if we know the trade out trip is in lieu of a Disney trip, as opposed to besides it. We have the points, so we use them. I will say that I like to use resources on the web to review ratings and travelers opinions of the resorts that come up in RCI before we commit, but I do that no matter how we book our trips. I even do that with DVC resort reservations, if for no other reason that to keep up to date on things.

Good luck with your decisions and have fun planning!

Is it safe to assume that if one is willing to rent out DVC points (through a rental agency, which will likely end up getting less per point) & pay for the equivalent RCI exchange with the proceeds, that this is almost always a better value than doing the actual exchange?

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter