Why not RCI Exchange?

One more thing about RCI trades. You cannot sell them. You can gift them if you cannot go, but you cannot sell them.

Is it safe to assume that if one is willing to rent out DVC points (through a rental agency, which will likely end up getting less per point) & pay for the equivalent RCI exchange with the proceeds, that this is almost always a better value than doing the actual exchange?

LAX
In most situations yes AND it gives you options, safety and flexibility you lose with the exchange. But I'd look at each situation and decide how it shapes up though a healthy set point is assume that when exchanging a high end timeshare (not just DVC) you are accepting a certain amount of decreased value and additional risk, the question then becomes how much of each.

We have traded a lot within RCI not with our DVC points but with some of our other timeshares.

Even when rci puts on the "gold crown" logo for some resorts most definitely don't live up to what I consider a gold crown.

RCI can be good but I would consider using my dvc points in RCI a poor use of points.

We tend to use our timeshares within their own system, and rarely trade out this way We maximize the use of our timeshares. When we opt for a vacation in Europe we use our RCI timeshare for that except when we go to Portugal or Italy then we use our Hilton which has some very nice properties there. I would almost never use my hilton within RCI only exceptions are for Hilton New York and DVC. Hilton New York is way cheaper point wise in RCI than through Hiltons own portal(go figure). For comparison I could book approx 18-20 consecutive days at the Hilton New York with my one Hilton timeshare per year plus booking fee of 219$. My annual mf is 580$. For 800$ I would get great value of my timeshare through RCI. This is however one of the exceptions, at most I would consider the use of my Hilton points through RCI a poor use of points - I would rather rent them out which I also sometime does.

If you regularly wish to explore the world outside DVC - I would recommend buying into a system which has properties many places around the world or buy what is considered a good "trader" in RCI. This way you should get most "bang" for your $$.

Regards

Thanks for all the replies. I'm really glad I asked. I just assumed you would search on the RCI exchange site, pick the week you are interested in, and reserve it for the points listed (most looked pretty reasonable to me) much like DVC. I had no idea that you would have to learn a whole new system. I will definitely do my homework, and maybe be more open-minded about renting out my points as well. Thanks again.

We had a big discussion about this a couple of years ago. The wording in the documentations suggests it's a year and a half but is vague. Also, I noticed this week that DVC has added the usual 24 hour grace period for bookings that other RCI members have had for some time. The $95 exchange fee is currently being waived. I'm guessing they have to provide RCI with a certain volume by contract and they're trying to beef up the numbers.

Here's the wording for cancelations
The full number of Vacation Points used for the reservation will be returned into your RCI exchange account. You may request additional exchange accommodations through RCI. Travel must occur by December 31 of the following calendar year.
Here's the info from the RCI Disclosure on deposit first.
  1. An exchange may be requested for the same time period or for a time period that has a comparable exchange value as the Vacation Time deposited. The exchange request may be placed at the same time that the Vacation Time is deposited or at any time thereafter, but no later than the end of second calendar year after the date of the deposited Vacation Time.
We discussed this in detail and some checked with MS. I think the final thought was it was basically 2 years from Dec from the date of deposited time which may be later than the date of deposit.

We had a big discussion about this a couple of years ago. The wording in the documentations suggests it's a year and a half but is vague.

Here's the info from the RCI Disclosure on deposit first.

"An exchange may be requested for the same time period or for a time period that has a comparable exchange value as the Vacation Time deposited. The exchange request may be placed at the same time that the Vacation Time is deposited or at any time thereafter, but no later than the end of second calendar year after the date of the deposited Vacation Time."

We discussed this in detail and some checked with MS. I think the final thought was it was basically 2 years from Dec from the date of deposited time which may be later than the date of deposit.
Right, that's the way I remembered it as well -- which, if I'm right is a MAXIMUM of two years...and could conceivably be only a little more than one year. For example, if I have an October UY and deposit to RCI in September to keep from losing the points, I would only have about 15 months to use the points in RCI.

Is that right -- or would it be 2 years + 3 months?

The $95 exchange fee is currently being waived. I'm guessing they have to provide RCI with a certain volume by contract and they're trying to beef up the numbers.
Of course, they also doubled the inbound nuisance fee from $95 to $190, so it's not as though they are losing money on the deal.

There have also been some exclusive-to-DVC deposits that are quite attractive: Hiltons in NYC, National Harbor in DC, Wyndham San Francisco, and a few others, which adds to the "need to get DVC deposit volume up a bit" theory.

Right, that's the way I remembered it as well -- which, if I'm right is a MAXIMUM of two years...and could conceivably be only a little more than one year. For example, if I have an October UY and deposit to RCI in September to keep from losing the points, I would only have about 15 months to use the points in RCI.

Is that right -- or would it be 2 years + 3 months?
2 years plus 3 months for deposit first but 1 year plus the rest of that year for cancelations if I'm reading it correctly. Of course it could change and then real story could vary. It does give rise to some creative ways to extend the life of points in some situations.

2 years plus 3 months for deposit first but 1 year plus the rest of that year for cancelations if I'm reading it correctly. Of course it could change and then real story could vary. It does give rise to some creative ways to extend the life of points in some situations.
So...if you don't like the answer you get, call back? Typical.

Last edited:
Of course, they also doubled the inbound nuisance fee from $95 to $190, so it's not as though they are losing money on the deal.

There have also been some exclusive-to-DVC deposits that are quite attractive: Hiltons in NYC, National Harbor in DC, Wyndham San Francisco, and a few others, which adds to the "need to get DVC deposit volume up a bit" theory.
"Exclusive to DVC?"

You mean if I deposit SFO for a DVC exchange, ONLY DVC owners could get the Wyndham exchange in SFO? That would seem to violate something...

(Also I'd bet that National Harbor is not that much of a difficult exchange. Old Town Alexandria would be, but not National Harbor.)

Last edited:
It would be interesting (and also probably impossible) to see how that's working out for DVC.

Honestly, I'd rather save the $400+ and stay in a 2-3 bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, or a 3 BR at Wyndham Reunion (with water park included). Or, if I owned Hilton, save the money and stay at one of the nice Hilton resorts.

So...if you don't like the answer you get, call back? Typical.
Not so much in this case, I was more referring to our varying opinions reading the information and talking among ourselves. Now if DVC allowed us to pick the week and resort deposited and reap the benefits accordingly, that could be a game changer.

Or, if I owned Hilton, save the money and stay at one of the nice Hilton resorts.
We stayed at Parc Soleil (HGVC) in September and I loved the resort. The room (a one-bedroom) was furnished very nicely, it seemed to be larger than our DVC accommodations, and we would definitely stay there again. The resort itself had LOTS going on. The one thing I missed was that Disney transportation but Lyft easily took care of that. We are back at Boardwalk in two weeks and I'll be doing some comparison room wise.

"Exclusive to DVC?"

You mean if I deposit SFO for a DVC exchange, ONLY DVC owners could get the Wyndham exchange in SFO? That would seem to violate something...

(Also I'd bet that National Harbor is not that much of a difficult exchange. Old Town Alexandria would be, but not National Harbor.)

National Harbor is rarely deposited, vs. OTA's "never". So, doable, but not impossible. It's also not all SFO, but a specific batch of Wyndham Canterbury. IIRC, you are a TUG Member; go back and check sightings board over the past week or two to see what I'm talking about.

I have no experience prior to the time I booked a week in Maui for the week before we will be in Aulani. I hope it goes well. We simply called MS and booked a resort through them and RCI. I read a favorable report on the Disboard trip report board! We'll be there in February. I know there will not be a washer and dryer in the 1 bedroom but for $95 150 DVC points and whatever fees that I have read about, I think it will be fine! Then the next week we have a 2 bedroom in Aulani for a week.

I have no experience prior to the time I booked a week in Maui for the week before we will be in Aulani. I hope it goes well. We simply called MS and booked a resort through them and RCI. I read a favorable report on the Disboard trip report board! We'll be there in February. I know there will not be a washer and dryer in the 1 bedroom but for $95 150 DVC points and whatever fees that I have read about, I think it will be fine! Then the next week we have a 2 bedroom in Aulani for a week.
KBC?, nice resort though the 1 BR has a limited kitchen unless it's changed sine we were there last. Historically they've tended to give exchangers bad villa assignments and tried to get additional money on check in to upgrade them but I'm not sure how things are going now that Diamond is in charge. The do have W/D banks to use if needed.

National Harbor is rarely deposited, vs. OTA's "never". So, doable, but not impossible. It's also not all SFO, but a specific batch of Wyndham Canterbury. IIRC, you are a TUG Member; go back and check sightings board over the past week or two to see what I'm talking about.
I checked and see what you mean.

Not sure how they pull that off without having some reciprocal DVC availability for Wyndham owners only. The Wyndham end might be developer inventory; I doubt if either National Harbor or Canterbury are sold out.

Think Wyndham and DVC made a deal?

I think either of those Wyndham resorts would be a nice exchange. OTA is more convenient than National Harbor (right across the street from the Metro station), but NH is still a convenient timeshare to visit DC. I think they have free shuttle service to a Metro station and there is a free (I think) ferry across the river to Alexandria.

Canterbury -- given the SFO public transportation -- looks like a great place to stay. It's close to both the cable cars and the F Line. We'll be there for 4 nights next summer (plus 4 nights at Yosemite Lodge).:banana::banana::banana:

KBC?, nice resort though the 1 BR has a limited kitchen unless it's changed sine we were there last. Historically they've tended to give exchangers bad villa assignments and tried to get additional money on check in to upgrade them but I'm not sure how things are going now that Diamond is in charge. The do have W/D banks to use if needed.
Yes, KBC and yes, only a microwave for cooking, that's what the trip report said. We are giving it a try, I do think we will like it. The W/D were mentioned as being in the hall if I remember correctly.

We did not want to travel to Hawaii for only a week. We have no other timeshares and have done 2 Hawaiian cruises, so wanted to stay in 2 places.

Hope to see whales, & people say they are off the coast of Maui for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter