Why so cheap

OPs have made excellent points on the lower price for SSR, and I have one more. I'm guessing that a lot of people bought in during the really low price for the Friends and Family promotion, then realized they couldn't afford it or had too many points in total. They paid about $83 with no closing costs. A lot of points sold real fast during that time, and some purchases were bound to be a mistake for some folks.

Friends and Family was $86 a point(that's what I paid), unless they gave existing DVC owners another 3 off.

Friends and Family was $86 a point(that's what I paid), unless they gave existing DVC owners another 3 off.

DVC ran a similar promotion in '05 and the price was $83 per point.

Price of resale @ $84/point

Including closing costs and 2007 dues.

Total: $13,693.00

Price of Disney direct @ $91/point

Total = $13,775 + $500 dues for 07 prorated

I think this is the reason the resale prices have to stay low. I know I bought direct because I didn't have to go through ROFR and I got to pay with my CC and get $150 back in rewards. I also bought in February and just got back from my first trip. So for me $84 on the resale market was not low enough.

Being owners of three contracts, one at VB, one at SSR, and our newest at AKV, I will answer the VB one first.

Back in 02 when we finally bought there was huge incentives to buying at VB. We ended up paying $65/point, so even at $67 going rate now we don't loose a thing. Got to use those points for the last 5 years, and are still making an additional $2/point toward the "higher" maintenance fees we pay. Glad you asked that question, because I have been thinking of selling our VB points, but after doing this analysis, I really don't think we got a bad deal there. It cost us about $250 more per year on maintenance fees (in comparison to SSR), which means we have paid a total of $1250 more in maintenance fees from SSR, not sure about BC which was our other choice at the time of purchase. But I believe at the time BC would have cost us more like $85/pt. which would have been $3500 more than we paid for VB. We will be staying at VB for the first time in May, so we have always gotten into any resort we wanted at the 7 month marker without problem, including VWL at Christmas without a problem.

We have stayed at SSR once and will again in May before our DCL cruise, and after our VB stay, because of the easy in and out. We don't plan on going in any of the parks during that stay, so proximity of parks are not important. So, IMO SSR was not a mistake and has a great purpose to us. Plus it is piece of mind that being such a large resort there will always be a place to stay on property no matter how short the notice.

Hope that helps answer the question on VB.

We bought BCV in March of 02 at $70 per point.

Interesting... I've done the WDW College Program twice ('99 and '01), and I've never heard that. I imagine those are much less crowded and probably cleaner than where I stayed!

They are very likely still in use. (Assuming they are, anyone driving clockwise from OKW to DTD at night can see the lights on the right side of the road.) People on DIS who are very reliable sources have said that they are being used for the International College Program, so those in the US program may not be aware of it.

As for the condition of the units, I have heard nothing.

Well, I never thought I was that hard to begin with (although I have admittedly played it up on occasion to spice up the debate.) :rolleyes: I personally don't care for SSR, that is obvious, but I never said it was a (complete) mistake. Just think it could have been done a lot better. Hopefully time and improvements will help, it’s not totally beyond redemption, but unfortunately, my biggest issues with it really can't be changed.

Just curious ... what's your biggest issue with it? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter