Why Space Mountain Cars No Longer Glow?

They probably keep making it darker and darker so you can’t see how old and rickety the ride is looking. I saw it with the lights on during a ride on the Peoplemover last week and was like :eek: It was also down a lot when I was there.

They probably keep making it darker and darker so you can’t see how old and rickety the ride is looking. I saw it with the lights on during a ride on the Peoplemover last week and was like :eek: It was also down a lot when I was there.
We rode it with the lights on last year (and then it closed as soon as we got off) and it was horrifying. I hate the ride to begin with but ride for my daughter's sake, but seeing it with the lights on is just sad and I hate seeing how close the track is to everything.

I keep thinking it's louder and feels more clickety/rickety every time I go...

We rode it with the lights on last year (and then it closed as soon as we got off) and it was horrifying. I hate the ride to begin with but ride for my daughter's sake, but seeing it with the lights on is just sad and I hate seeing how close the track is to everything.

And, (as with all dark rides,) the interior light-level can be perceived to be brighter or dimmer depending on the light-level (often daylight) outside.

There is a good chance that’s what it was. We went on the ride right around noon. Plus, I hate to say it but I am getting older every time I go on the ride.
Plus, we zoomed in with a fast pass with almost no wait at all so my eyes didn’t have long to adjust.
Dan

That literally sounds like a nightmare. Back in 2006 I rode it with my then boyfriend who is 6’4”, I thought he was going to be decapatated lol. I absolutely loved the ride as a kid but as I get older the more frightening it gets!

That literally sounds like a nightmare. Back in 2006 I rode it with my then boyfriend who is 6’4”, I thought he was going to be decapatated lol. I absolutely loved the ride as a kid but as I get older the more frightening it gets!

I'm not scared, so much, but the ride is so R-O-U-G-H that it jars every joint on my body the entire ride!

I remember seeing glowing Space Mountain ride vehicles in action while riding Tomorrowland People Mover back in 1986. Web search suggests that they did indeed glow (wikipedia and some threads on disboard). I don't recall them glowing on the lift hill but certainly after that. I recall the glow running alongside the cars in a single horizontal stripe. That feature was really cool.

1. Why was it removed (or was it a lifespan issue that was never rejuvenated for some reason)?
2. Was it glow material or something else like black light? Since space mountain is mostly in the dark, I don't see how glow material would be charged.

Yes that was a cool effect. You could see the other cars glowing when you rode the ride. Another little detail gone :(

The black light may be gone from Space Mountain, but they added a strobe light to Expedition Everest.... so kinda a break even I guess?

**NEW RUMOR**

Strobe lights being installed on Space Mountain ride vehicles.

Heard it here first.

Last edited:
Wow it's really been that long since you could see the ride vehicles zipping around in there? It doesn't seem like it was that long ago. Sheesh the years just fly by!

**NEW RUMOR**

Strobe lights being installed on Space Mountain ride vehicles.

Heard it hear first.

Update: The Yeti will now ride in the back seat of select space mountain ride vehicles. He will join the ride on the lift hill. No word on what will happen to a passenger occupying the seat at the time.

I'm not scared, so much, but the ride is so R-O-U-G-H that it jars every joint on my body the entire ride!

Yes! Ugh. It’s just so jarring and that’s really what I hate.

Have you been on Primevil whirl? I'm surprised that thing (or any other wild mouse clone anywhere, really) is even street legal.

Dinosaur is even worse. It shook me right out of my underwear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter