Why such limited availability at resorts lately?

Are you possibly from outside of the US?
Or is your TA possibly giving a discount that is not Disney's discount because I don't believe discounts for May would be out this early unless you fall into one of those categories.

We are going to Poly in early May and definitely discounts have not been released. ETA...unless TAs have access to discounts the general public does not? Historically the May discounts have been released in later December/early January according to MouseSavers historical data.

My TA has their agency exclusive discounts out through May also (I'm in the US).

Same as Shellyb84, we booked agency rates. They had Pop, PO not sure which one, and Beach Club available for May. I learned about agency rates here even though I can not share the name of the agency. Enough digging and I found it. Even though I booked tickets, DP and room I have until 5 days out to cancel. Pretty great deal on my end.

Tried to get a value resort for the following dates:
11/3 - 11/5
11/10 - 11/12
12/1 - 12/3
12/8 - 12/10

not one room available. not even a freaking suite. i checked online and called.
You are hitting end of F&W, Veterans Day weekend, Jersey Week, Pop Warner, lots of events during that time frame.

I had difficulty getting a standard view at the Poly for a week in February. I had to select the lagoon view, only bummer is the bill.

I think Disney is reclassifying room views to create more pricing breaks. I thought I had saw an article about them working on a way to change the value, moderate, deluxe classifications as well. That in combination with busier times in the winter months may be making it difficult to grab up last minute deals. From the conversations on the boards it seemed like less people were visiting this summer and perhaps they decided to avoid the heat and crowds and come later in the year.

I found it a bit hard to find a reservation for 12/9-12/16. We initially weren't entire sure on dates or how long we were going to go for. There was nothing in our price range for those dates at all but if I extended it to 12/18, I was able to find a room at Pop. Was a bit odd. I ended up booking it to have it while we decided. We ended up definitely only being able to go 12/9-12/16 and ultimately decided to stay at Universal for the first two nights so started looking for 12/11-12/16 and ended up with a few options (Pop was not one of them). Luckily we called and the CM managed to get our already booked reservation changed to the shorter time frame. *note - we were only looking at Value resorts as this was a "last-minute" trip that we're on a budget to be able to do.

Moral of my story is that there may be some rooms out there, but looks like you'd have to be pretty flexible with dates.

I think fall is the new summer. Between Halloween and Christmas parties/fun/decorations, everyone wants to go during that time, especially with what seems like more schools extending fall breaks - or more parents willing to pull kids from school.

Add in construction and voila! Hard to find rooms.

I'm totally a newb @ WDW and all, but over 6 months out, there was no availability whatsoever at POFQ for me in late February, so we decided to go with POR instead.

Just booked for my one trip. Absolutely crazy. Just doing 2 nights (driving over from beach for MK, maybe MNSSHP and both US/IOA). Offsite weren't the best rates (first weekend in Oct) and I was thinking if I do party, I'd at least like to be in Disney resort that night to avoid MK parking lot so late. Although I could likely bunk with other DS the second night as he'll be staying over by US/IOA with his group, have his own room. BUT then two resorts in two nights, ugh.)

POP available....
2 nights came out to $136 per night avg with AP Discount.
BUT
Night 1 came out to $103 per night with Public Enchanted Escape
Night 2 came out to $126 per night with AP or FL Enchanted Escape

Couldn't get the other night with either of these, which is just crazy.
So to save $43 I booked the two apart. Pays for half a MNSSHP ticket.
At least that night has AP Discount ...
Here's hoping they don't make us move!

Last edited:

When I booked my October trip, they had very little to pick from. Was planning on going to a deluxe for the first time since I actually can afford it but was only able to book for Riverside.

Just booked for my one trip. Absolutely crazy. Just doing 2 nights (driving over from beach for MK, maybe MNSSHP and both US/IOA). Offsite weren't the best rates (first weekend in Oct) and I was thinking if I do party, I'd at least like to be in Disney resort that night to avoid MK parking lot so late. Although I could likely bunk with other DS the second night as he'll be staying over by US/IOA with his group. BUT then two resorts in two nights, ugh.)

POP available....
BUT

It's like playing resort room Tetris

It's like playing resort room Tetris

RIGHT?!?

The stupid part is both nights were available under the AP rate but they were charging me way more than the individual night rates, one of which was the same AP discount.

I was so sure by time I booked the one - the other would be gone. So I booked party night first. But I got both.

RIGHT?!?

The stupid part is both nights were available under the AP rate but they were charging me way more than the individual night rates, one of which was the same AP discount.

I was so sure by time I booked the one - the other would be gone. So I booked party night first. But I got both.
:headache:

Is everyone and their mother now going to Disney World and staying onsite or does anyone else besides me think Disney is limiting the number of rooms available on purpose and keeping room rates at peak in order to get better control of crowds while maintaining high profits?

Other than around the major crowd times I have never seen people on here right and left saying how they can't find a room whether its for a trip in the next month or the next 9 months!

Hotel GM here.. For 25 plus years. Room inventory does not work that way. Trust me you want to have the best rate while highest occupancy, but there is a balancing act to get there.

What you don't know is how many rooms are being reno, how many are tied up into group blocks, how much inventory is being dealt out to other booking channels. They might roll back into general inventory after release dates and such. But Disney is not limiting them to push your rate up.

And not to be offensive, but you have very limited sample size of checking their inventory..

Just booked for my one trip. Absolutely crazy. Just doing 2 nights (driving over from beach for MK, maybe MNSSHP and both US/IOA). Offsite weren't the best rates (first weekend in Oct) and I was thinking if I do party, I'd at least like to be in Disney resort that night to avoid MK parking lot so late. Although I could likely bunk with other DS the second night as he'll be staying over by US/IOA with his group, have his own room. BUT then two resorts in two nights, ugh.)

POP available....
BUT

I've not tried it, but I've read before that you can call and have them link two reservations together. Maybe you could try that?

Is everyone and their mother now going to Disney World and staying onsite or does anyone else besides me think Disney is limiting the number of rooms available on purpose and keeping room rates at peak in order to get better control of crowds while maintaining high profits?

Other than around the major crowd times I have never seen people on here right and left saying how they can't find a room whether its for a trip in the next month or the next 9 months!
We are to be there 15 Oct thru 22 Oct and I've been stalking prices to look for better deals. During that week there are only 3 resorts available at all and the prices are not special.

What's extremely frustrating is the numerous emails saying that there are discounted rooms available at the value resorts from Sept to Oct. I get them for being a Florida resident and AP holder....I've been trying to book the weekend after Labor Day. The slowest weekend of the year. Can't find anything in Value or mod for the discounted rate. I've never had this problem in over 30 years. When I bought my first pass (Three season pass, Florida resident good for January, May, and September) they also offered room discounts. As my kids grew older we went 3 times a year during these months. In mid 90's we had seasonal passes and still went during these months. It was when only one of my daughter's was still at home that we switched to going often and whenever especially last minute trips, never had a problem getting last minute rooms at a discount. Then magicbands and fast-passes plus started and discounted rooms became few and far between.

There's availability on Orbitz for next year, but for the rest of this year seems slim to none. You can stay at the Poly next April for a bargain price of $926/night!! That's one pricey interior hallway.

If I had known beforehand how difficult it was going to be to get what we want for our December trip I don't think I'd have bothered. It was initially Disney or a cruise. Disney has turned into this slippery slope of compromises or increased costs. Lesson learned. For Dec 2018 I already booked a cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter