Why Test Track worries me

pross

Earning My Ears
Yesterday, my family and I rode Test Track. We waited only about 10 minutes because we chose the single rider line. However, as soon as we boarded the ride, it broke down. I lost count how many times the ride stopped but I know it exceeded 4. What concerns me about TT is when the ride is in motion and the ride stops due to technical difficulty, it is NOT an easy stop. It was HARD to the point it hurt. It hurt so much the ride was ruined for me because I was so worried it was going to happen again. Luckily, when the ride stopped we weren't at a part where the ride was going as fast. I can't imagine a hard brake like that during the parts it speeds up or let alone going 60mph.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this. It makes me almost not wanna ride the ride because I know it's known for technical difficulties. I feel like it could actually hurt someone because the brakes were so hard.

All e-stops are pretty hard. E-stops are actually why many "tame" rides have warnings against pregnant women ridding. One of the worst e-stops I've experienced was actually the peoplemover. That stop can throw you forward if you aren't seated butt to bench.

I'm sorry Test Track was ruined for you though. It must have really stunk. Just know most technical difficulties are due to rider error like hats falling onto sensors or someone trying to get out. With test track e-stops can also be weather related. They really don't want to stop it but the fail safes are there so nobody gets seriously injured.

The e-stops are backed up by a separate computer on board the vehicle added strictly for safety reasons. During development the original computer was failing to perform slowdowns and stop when it should. During one test coming back into the building from outside it failed to slow down, broke the restraints, and flew through a wall at about 60mph.

A former colleague of mine was involved in the evaluation and upgrade of the safety systems after that. After they had done a review of the original software he said it was too complex to be reliably tested and would have eventually killed someone if not fixed. So they added a second computer that takes track position and speeds as inputs and acts as a fail safe if the main software malfunctions.

Yeah, the emergency braking is really hard. Consider it part of the vehicle testing, because it feels exactly like slamming on the brakes in a panic stop. :car: :D

I love the ride, it's one of my top 5 in all WDW. But I love cars and race them as a hobby, so I'm naturally attracted to the ride. And for those who say it's just like riding in a car and gives no thrills, sorry, I have to totally disagree there. The banked turns on the outside are something you would NEVER get in a passenger car on a roadway. That banking is NASCAR style and something you'd only get on a handful of racetracks.

Yeah, the emergency braking is really hard. Consider it part of the vehicle testing, because it feels exactly like slamming on the brakes in a panic stop. :car: :D

I love the ride, it's one of my top 5 in all WDW. But I love cars and race them as a hobby, so I'm naturally attracted to the ride. And for those who say it's just like riding in a car and gives no thrills, sorry, I have to totally disagree there. The banked turns on the outside are something you would NEVER get in a passenger car on a roadway. That banking is NASCAR style and something you'd only get on a handful of racetracks.

Not a fan of cars or racing, but I still love that ride. I've had it stop on the outside track before. Can't remember if it was a hard stop, probably was. I just remember them bringing the cars back slowly, so we slowly road the rest of the way over the banked track. It was interesting, felt like you were going to fall out the side of the car. We were laughing the whole way. Interesting ride. :D

I agree with the previous poster that you will never experience a banked turn like that anywhere on the streets. Only a hand full of people ever get to experience that even on the track, so for sure Test Track takes you somewhere you aren't likely to go on your own.

The e-stops are backed up by a separate computer on board the vehicle added strictly for safety reasons. During development the original computer was failing to perform slowdowns and stop when it should. During one test coming back into the building from outside it failed to slow down, broke the restraints, and flew through a wall at about 60mph.

A former colleague of mine was involved in the evaluation and upgrade of the safety systems after that. After they had done a review of the original software he said it was too complex to be reliably tested and would have eventually killed someone if not fixed. So they added a second computer that takes track position and speeds as inputs and acts as a fail safe if the main software malfunctions.
OMGoodness, the google quote in your signature is awesome! I am a Desktop Tech/Support right now and that is something I want to say ALL THE TIME!

OMGoodness, the google quote in your signature is awesome! I am a Desktop Tech/Support right now and that is something I want to say ALL THE TIME!

Thanks. It appears that SOOOO many poster come here first when a quick google will get them an answer immediately. I have always been very successful googling a WDW question. Some results even send you back here.

Yesterday, my family and I rode Test Track. We waited only about 10 minutes because we chose the single rider line. However, as soon as we boarded the ride, it broke down. I lost count how many times the ride stopped but I know it exceeded 4. What concerns me about TT is when the ride is in motion and the ride stops due to technical difficulty, it is NOT an easy stop. It was HARD to the point it hurt. It hurt so much the ride was ruined for me because I was so worried it was going to happen again. Luckily, when the ride stopped we weren't at a part where the ride was going as fast. I can't imagine a hard brake like that during the parts it speeds up or let alone going 60mph.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this. It makes me almost not wanna ride the ride because I know it's known for technical difficulties. I feel like it could actually hurt someone because the brakes were so hard.

It broke on us twice on Tuesday. It was not fun. Once right after the 60mph, once right before. It is definitely concerning. Cars in DL breaks down frequently too

As a coaster enthusiast, I have learned that most of the time when a ride "breaks down" it is for the smallest of things. It's a safety mechanism. It doesn't mean the ride is inherently unsafe, it means that they are being overly cautious and if everything isn't JUST RIGHT, they will stop to make sure everything is safe.

Something to consider is that height requirements are partially there due to the effects of e-stops. DD worked at Soarin' and they were told a major reason for the height requirement is the force of the belt during the e-stop. Just like you wouldn't put a small child in a regular car seat belt, they wouldn't want them on Soarin' where the belt is similar.

I had it stop just before we accelerated to go out onto the track. A good 10 min stop. When it did start again, it wasn't as much of a whip start as I feared. Still . . . unsettling just waiting to go out onto the track at any moment. I don't care for TT much now partly because of that experience & partly because I miss the old TT and the revamped version just isn't to my taste.

So does it stop more so during a certain time frame in the day? When did this start? This makes me nervous to ride it again

TT also freaks me out a little bit because of how jerky is it. And we have had it stop/start/stop/start many times when riding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter