Why the bad reviews?

I am all about people having scooters who need them, and I am not assuming that anyone with a scooter didn't need it whether they looked perfectly capable of walking or not, but I did mention many times that I could not believe the number of scooters in the parks this time around. I'd never seen so many and they were literally clogging walkways. Entire families on scooters, groups with every person on a scooter. It was very very excessive this time around, it seemed.

My 75 year old mother was with us and was in a lot of pain walking- my dad just died and she decided to move and has been carrying boxes for weeks and it's taken a toll on her knees. She refused to use a scooter because she said there were too many already lol.

I am all about people having scooters who need them, and I am not assuming that anyone with a scooter didn't need it whether they looked perfectly capable of walking or not, but I did mention many times that I could not believe the number of scooters in the parks this time around. I'd never seen so many and they were literally clogging walkways. Entire families on scooters, groups with every person on a scooter. It was very very excessive this time around, it seemed.

My 75 year old mother was with us and was in a lot of pain walking- my dad just died and she decided to move and has been carrying boxes for weeks and it's taken a toll on her knees. She refused to use a scooter because she said there were too many already lol.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

I'm with you. Use them IF you need them. Honestly, my mom SHOULD be using them (and it sounds like yours too). Like you said, I don't assume the person on them didn't need it (my mom would probably seem like a person that didn't need it if you looked at her), but when you see three or four people riding on the same one, I tend to think the worst, unfortunately.

When DL rented scooters and strollers some years back, the sheer volume of both was so bad that dh and I joked (sort of) that people just went straight from strollers to scooters. After DL stopped renting them, the numbers dropped significantly. I wonder what has made them pick up again? I'm sorry to hear that.

I think there's so many outside rental places around DL (in fact, you can rent them from the DLH, through a third party), that they're super available.

A lot of it is just poor planning. Most people choose Disney thinking it'll be an easy family trip and don't do any research or planning whatsoever... so they come in with false hopes & unachievable expectations...

My friend is planning a Disney world vacation around Christmas of this year... when I heard I warned her it was literally the busiest day of the year and she had no idea... she envisioned opening presents and heading to the parks around noon to then ride a few rides and maybe catch the parade...

Can I Say something.... Reading these are making me sad for our November trip. We didn't pick based on slow weeks and we haven't been since 2012 and now I'm worried. I've heard lots of people who have been recently saying about all the ride shut downs! That's crazy.

Thankfully I've been and at busy times so I can be prepared for crowds but we joked last fine that for the happiest place on earth there is lots of crying kids and screaming adults.

It's Disneyland. It's crowded. It's hot. It's full of careless scooter and stroller people. Kids and adults melt down at the witching hour.
If you hate all these things, it's best to stay away.

If you are flexible and can handle all these things and are still enchanted by the magic, you will not worry about these things. You will have a blast.

Can I Say something.... Reading these are making me sad for our November trip. We didn't pick based on slow weeks and we haven't been since 2012 and now I'm worried. I've heard lots of people who have been recently saying about all the ride shut downs! That's crazy.

Thankfully I've been and at busy times so I can be prepared for crowds but we joked last fine that for the happiest place on earth there is lots of crying kids and screaming adults.

You seriously just have to go in with a relaxed mind set. Personally, I hardly ever have rides down that we want to ride but my daughter is barely working up to the bigger rides so that's probably why.

Don't be sad! Just be prepared and enjoy what you *can* do. Don't worry about what you can't, but keep an eye on it (rides, etc. that go down) so you can jump on it when they come back up.

Well, thank goodness the staffing restrictions lift as of Sept 30! So even if it is busy like lately, you will at least have plenty of staff (including security to help those lines go faster).

Also, with maintenance people back to the needed numbers, rides that do go down will be up faster!

There were Magic mornings a couple weeks ago that almost ALL of fantasyland was still down due to lack of staff. You won't need to worry about any of that.

Why in the world Disney decided to reduce their staff during this Halloween season is beyond me. Maybe because in the past this has been the "off season". Not anymore!!! There is no doubt that this past month has been busier than most days in the summer!

There could be the tiniest crowds ever, and you could plan for months, but if it takes you 45 minutes just to get through security because there are only 2 lines open, half the rides are broken or not open yet, hours are only 10am-8pm, and the CMs are already grouchy, your day won't go very well.

Now take that exact above scenario and apply it to an unusually large crowd of people. That was most September and why I think a lot of people are so upset. It wasn't about lack of planning on their end...it was about lack of planning on disney's end.

I hate to see what is going to happen when SWL comes if they continue this trend...

Sorry for the rant! But again, in November, you won't have most of these issues, so don't worry and enjoy your trip!

I think something that would help is if DL extended park hours. 10 o'clock openings were suppose to be for slow time. If there's no slow time they should extend the hours!

I said this back in Feb/March. Disney should never open at 10am ever again. ..... Dear Disney, slow times don't exist. Stop pretending like you don't realize it, just so you can cut CM operating costs. 9am should be the latest. Period.

...though, I'm guilty of having a double stroller. :rolleyes1 But I'm very conscientious about when and where I stop, and have been known to scold anyone pushing the stroller if they stop in the way!

My problem is that people crowd right in front of strollers (and ECVs). Especially when it's crowded, more than just a few will step right in front of the stroller trying to get in/out of the park. And when they get hit, they give me the look or say something. I once upon a time, I was apologetic. But these days, I just throw it right back at them. STROLLERS ARE PEOPLE TOO!

It's still better than WDW. That place is and has been loaded with ECVs since arond 2006. That's when I saw a huge swing up. And those ECVs getting on the bus system over there is a nightmare. DL is nothing like WDW when it comes to this issue.

There could be the tiniest crowds ever, and you could plan for months, but if it takes you 45 minutes just to get through security because there are only 2 lines open, half the rides are broken or not open yet, hours are only 10am-8pm, and the CMs are already grouchy, your day won't go very well.

Now take that exact above scenario and apply it to an unusually large crowd of people. That was most September and why I think a lot of people are so upset. It wasn't about lack of planning on their end...it was about lack of planning on disney's end.

I think this is what we're all here ranting about. It's not that we don't plan. Shoot, coming from tons of WDW trips, planning is what I do. No, it has everything to do with Disney not planning. Or maybe they are planning....planning to just cut costs and we'll gladly take the table scraps they throw our way. That said, my wife and I are definitely leaning towards not returning for years to come. Hard to imagine our lives without Disney parks. But the diminishing returns on investments to Disney are taking a mental toll.

It's Disneyland. It's crowded. It's hot. It's full of careless scooter and stroller people. Kids and adults melt down at the witching hour.
If you hate all these things, it's best to stay away.

If you are flexible and can handle all these things and are still enchanted by the magic, you will not worry about these things. You will have a blast.
Yes!!! I 100% agree.
Certain things are a given: there will be crowds, there will be people who annoy you, there will be rides that break down. But for every hiccup you encounter there are dozens of other things at Disneyland that will bring you complete joy. Embrace the joy and let the annoyances roll off of you.

My problem is that people crowd right in front of strollers (and ECVs). Especially when it's crowded, more than just a few will step right in front of the stroller trying to get in/out of the park. And when they get hit, they give me the look or say something. I once upon a time, I was apologetic. But these days, I just throw it right back at them. STROLLERS ARE PEOPLE TOO!

Oh my gosh, yes! I regularly have to dodge people who see me, but step in front of my moving stroller all the time. But I literally am the one driving my stroller like a maniac around all the slow pokes, so I rarely hit anyone (can't remember the last time I did). If Stitch drove a stroller, that would be me. Lol

Because people have unrealistic expectations purely based on their perception of value of their dollar paid.

The expectations have stayed the same and the costs have gone up. I don't think that's unrealistic.

Well, thank goodness the staffing restrictions lift as of Sept 30! So even if it is busy like lately, you will at least have plenty of staff (including security to help those lines go faster).

Also, with maintenance people back to the needed numbers, rides that do go down will be up faster!

There were Magic mornings a couple weeks ago that almost ALL of fantasyland was still down due to lack of staff. You won't need to worry about any of that.

Why in the world Disney decided to reduce their staff during this Halloween season is beyond me. Maybe because in the past this has been the "off season". Not anymore!!! There is no doubt that this past month has been busier than most days in the summer!

I hate to see what is going to happen when SWL comes if they continue this trend...

Sorry for the rant! But again, in November, you won't have most of these issues, so don't worry and enjoy your trip!

I think this is an issue. Paying a premium for EMH only to have none of the attractions up is SQUARELY on Disney's shoulders. They should have been handing out return passes or something in that event. They just don't care even when they could correct this proactively or through no-cost-to-them solutions (return passes). There is ZERO reason for an attraction to not be open, staffed, and operational at park open provided Disney has done two things correctly...1. Proper maintenance Schedules. 2. Proper Staffing levels.

You know its bad when my daughter was begging to go back to the hotel. She's only 3 1/2 and she said she was over it. lol
Maui will be getting my money for the next few years. I enjoyed the 50th at Disneyland but this year was the deal breaker for me. Sucks because I used to enjoy going every few years.

I think this is what we're all here ranting about. It's not that we don't plan. Shoot, coming from tons of WDW trips, planning is what I do. No, it has everything to do with Disney not planning. Or maybe they are planning....planning to just cut costs and we'll gladly take the table scraps they throw our way. That said, my wife and I are definitely leaning towards not returning for years to come. Hard to imagine our lives without Disney parks. But the diminishing returns on investments to Disney are taking a mental toll.
Couldn't agree with you more gatorchris, We planned for almost a year. When we found out about parks short hours and staff party we were pissed. On top of the crowds I had enough

Eek our first day in the park will be oct 1st, are we in for crazy crowds and broken rides? I hope not. Makes me start to dread our trip with our 2 and 5 year olds. Hopefully it's not as bad as many of the reviews on here!

Eek our first day in the park will be oct 1st, are we in for crazy crowds and broken rides? I hope not. Makes me start to dread our trip with our 2 and 5 year olds. Hopefully it's not as bad as many of the reviews on here!
Expect it to be very crowded. I think as long as you go in knowing there will be crowds you are prepared. Rope drop and take advantage of the lesser crowds in the mornings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter