Why the single mom with kids argument?

Everything is more expensive right now. Disney is a high ticket luxury spend. Yes, it is super expensive, but is it much more expensive from a percentage increase than everything else?
i agree here, it isn't.

i also felt that way when Pete was killing Chapek over the stock price. I'm sorry Pete but I can't get on board with that argument specifically vs Chapek....a whole lot of stocks are tanking lately

We all find value where WE EACH find it. I'm a single, 50+ Trans woman. I'm a unique woman who wears pantyhose nearly every day. I'm weird. I love trains and anything Disney. I have, by choice, very few friends. I tend to stay at Disney Deluxe resorts though I will stay at a Value or Moderate resort. I go to Disney about 10-12 times a year. Many people I know think I'm nuts because I go so much. I refer them to
I'm a single, 50+ Trans woman. I'm a unique woman who wears pantyhose nearly every day. I'm weird.

I have a handicap tag due to two hip and one knee replacement. I use a scooter at Disney. I get free parking at Disney. We all don't pay any resort fees at Disney. Many of those hotels along I Drive? Some charge $25 and more per night resort fees. I have an Annual Pass and have since the early '90s. I use buses at Disney. Why when I get free parking? Besides the fact that I find the engineering that controls the loading ramp fascinating. they are more convenient for me. I don't need a spreadsheet to track what I want to do by the minute. I have never paid for Genie+ (and people think I'm nuts?) and never will. I don't do coasters or drops except for Thunder Mountain (hey, it's a train). The Walt Disney railroad and the People Mover are more my speed. I go for 4 to 6 hours. I get a bucket of popcorn and a Mickey pretzel and then either caramel corn in EPCOT or a Cinnamon roll at MK. I'll go on a ride or 2 depending on the lines. I don't mind waiting in a line; after all, I'm seated for the entire wait.

Am I a typical visitor? No, I'm a unique visitor like all of us are. Am I a different visitor? Yes, like all of us are. Why do I find Value at Disney? Because it's affordable for me and it's my happy place. I can drive up and be in a park in an hour and a half. I find Value at Disney. Not everyone else does. Do I agree with them? Yes, I do. Why? Because they are different from me.

If you don't agree with what Disney is doing (And no, they aren't targeting a specific demographic and leaving out others), they are adding to who they are marketing to. But if you don't agree, as I've said before, stop spending on Disney. That's the only message they will react to and hear.

Am I a typical visitor? No, I'm a unique visitor like all of us are. Am I a different visitor? Yes, like all of us are. Why do I find Value at Disney? Because it's affordable for me and it's my happy place. I can drive up and be in a park in an hour and a half. I find Value at Disney. Not everyone else does. Do I agree with them? Yes, I do. Why? Because they are different from me.
Yay for @DanielleC. Got to say that I'm in the same boat. Well, except for the transwoman part, being a couple of decades older, not having had knee replacement, or being in a wheelchair. ;) But seriously, her description of my attitude towards visiting WDW pretty much mirrors mine.

Does that mean Disney doesn't want me? No, I don't think so.

Maybe a
I have a lot of problems with Disneyworld at the moment, but why is the podcast gang arguing that Disney should lower prices so that “single moms with 4 kids” should be able to afford a Disney vacation? Are they serious, or is that just a talking point? Crowds would be even more unbearable than they currently are. Economics 101 says Lower price = more demand. If I’m Chapek, I go back to paper fast passes, get rid of the app (genie, etc) and raise ticket prices by 30%.
Maybe a single mom with four kids currently in 2022 can come on the podcast and offer their perspective. That would be refreshing to see it from their point of view instead of making assumptions of what they want out of Disney. Just ask them. Is it possible a single mom with four kids can afford it and be a lawyer or a doctor?! Yes. Is it possible they are single parent by choice and financially independent? sure. Is it possible they aren't and still think disney is special and have no issues with vacationing there within their budget? sure! Or not, we don't know unless you ask....bring on different sections of people on the podcast sometime, it would be a terrific show!

Yay for @DanielleC. Got to say that I'm in the same boat. Well, except for the transwoman part, being a couple of decades older, not having had knee replacement, or being in a wheelchair. ;) But seriously, her description of my attitude towards visiting WDW pretty much mirrors mine.

Does that mean Disney doesn't want me? No, I don't think so.

Um, how "young" do you think I am? I'm actually 65!

At the end of the day going to Disney, or any vacation, is a luxury and not a necessity. I grew up in a poor family and I had two 'vacations' in my first 25 years on this planet, both staying with aunties who did it so we could go somewhere different. Mr J, on the other hand, went to many different places on proper holidays, hotels, sightseeing and different countries.
But, today, people see a vacation, especially to Disney as a god given right, especially if they have kids. It's not, it's a luxury and if you can't afford it don't come to me complaining, because I grew up watching other kids having lots of things I didn't, but, while I was envious at times, like when my classmates went on a school trip to Germany, a country I desperately wanted to visit, and I couldn't, I moved on. Going without made me stronger and more determined to succeed in life, not become passive and sit around expecting the world to owe me a favour.

i mean, i donnno. I think that they were just triyng to use an example of someone who may not have the funds. Okay, maybe some single moms make bank. But A LOT do not.

At the end of the day going to Disney, or any vacation, is a luxury and not a necessity. I grew up in a poor family and I had two 'vacations' in my first 25 years on this planet, both staying with aunties who did it so we could go somewhere different. Mr J, on the other hand, went to many different places on proper holidays, hotels, sightseeing and different countries.
But, today, people see a vacation, especially to Disney as a god given right, especially if they have kids. It's not, it's a luxury and if you can't afford it don't come to me complaining, because I grew up watching other kids having lots of things I didn't, but, while I was envious at times, like when my classmates went on a school trip to Germany, a country I desperately wanted to visit, and I couldn't, I moved on. Going without made me stronger and more determined to succeed in life, not become passive and sit around expecting the world to owe me a favour.
omg yes! Two vacations before young adulthood! yes! And we only went out to eat rarely on a special occasion. There were no refills of soda back then so we were only allowed one glass. this is very on point.

It's just so strange, isn't it?

How Disney is equally too expensive, and yet not expensive enough.

How it's accessible to the "average American family" but somehow almost too accessible to the average American family.

A lot of people in the US view themselves as average because of their social circle. Median household income is 70k and I know people who make double that and think they're representative of the average American.
I think this depends where you live. Someone making $70k and living in NYC or CA is barely paying rent. Someone in Arkansas is living well on it.

Heck, our 22 year old makes more than $70k and still wonders how he'll ever afford his own apartment, without a roommate, in South Jersey, not even close to NY. The thought of owning a home and being able to pay it off before collecting SS gives him stress already. Our small house has more than tripled in value in the 25 years we've lived here.

Anyway, my point is, there's national average and then there's average for the region where you live.

omg yes! Two vacations before young adulthood! yes! And we only went out to eat rarely on a special occasion. There were no refills of soda back then so we were only allowed one glass. this is very on point.
Once, when we were really young my mother took us our for a meal in the local department store, a massive treat and because it was something we rarely did my sister didn't realise it was a sugar shaker and not a salt cellar and put sugar all over her fish and chips, my mother swapped meals with her and tried to remove as much as she could of the sugar before she ate it because there was no way she could afford a replacement meal.

Disney has left budget minded travelers with $300/night Value resorts that can barely sleep 4.
i do believe people discount there are many single mothers who both have their own careers & also receive court-ordered child support from the fathers.

There is a plethora of accommodations in Orlando. Disney knows certain people will only stay in the bubble and price what the market will bear.

everything is cyclical, once the revenge travel crowd is sated, demand will drop & rates will hit whatever new normal.

Tongue firmly in cheap: all we really need is good recession & disney will slash their hotel rates.

no silver spoons in place here, come from hardworking blue collar backgrounds. We didn’t start to visit regularly until after 9-11 when all travel products were of fire sale rates. specifically airfare & including values. @ $60 a night & soon after, free DP, a real fire sale.

was able to pick up resale DVCs at over 2/3rds less than what they cost now, paying cash, saving it the old fashioned way

finding travel deals is all in the timing, which, surely isn’t now with such high demand.
mean, we all know they can slum it at a motel on International Drive, and just get day tickets
There are many true deluxe properties in that area. Also, tons of TS & private home rentals.

in disney-speak, for a ’last minute/3 month prior’ trip the end of July, we were unable to secure disney rooms or DVC.

found a 4+ BR villa @ Margaritaville. Has it’s own pool/hot tub & usage of their main pool, etc. all for less than what it’d cost for 3 rooms at a value. I’m all for family togetherness but, the values are just too close for comfort with extended family YMMV

transportation costs as to rental cars is a true sticking point for us right now. if you are working with a tight budget seriously need to carefully compare all costs as to onsite vs off before jumping ship
Am I a typical visitor? No, I'm a unique visitor like all of us are. Am I a different visitor? Yes, like all of us are. Why do I find Value at Disney? Because it's affordable for me and it's my happy place.
Lol, very well said. Do find it amusing how many here are so shocked that people over 60 & well into their 70’s actively still actively enjoy the Universal parks.

i do believe people discount there are many single mothers who both have their own careers & also receive court-ordered child support from the fathers.
No people don't discount that, those don't mean you are able to make a Disney trip work. Child support is often derived off of the other's income, time spent with the kids and is designed to pay for basic necessities.

The several hundred bucks my mom got per kid (was just my sister and I) was for clothing, food, school and housing expenses and nothing was left to go to Disney that's for sure. Even my mother-in-law who got like $1k per month wouldn't have been able to (pretending she was a single mom)

And those were set in the mid-90s. For my mom renegotiating the amount meant going to court and well that costs money.

There will be single parents who can afford it, by in large it's a burden to do so and using child support as an example to fund a vacation and one to a place like Disney is probably not the best one.

If you don't agree with what Disney is doing (And no, they aren't targeting a specific demographic and leaving out others), they are adding to who they are marketing to. But if you don't agree, as I've said before, stop spending on Disney. That's the only message they will react to and hear.

AMEN!!!!!

I honestly get so sick of the argument that everyone "deserves" a trip to Disney World. Um, last time I checked, the Declaration of Independence did not say "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness AND a trip to Walt Disney World". I love Disney as much as anyone on here, but I also recognize that I am privileged to be able to go as often as I do, and I make choices to be able to do that.

Edit to Finish: When I'm not able to go to Disney as often, yes, I'll be sad, but I'll look into other options and find other things to do. As much as we love Disney, it is not the only place to vacation.

Last edited:
This is a good point. A "single mom with 4 kids" is no different than a single dad with 4 kids, or a 1 income family with one stay at home parent. Although, I guess there's a better tax break for married couples.

However, "single mom" has been used in the lexicon over and over again in our society as the poster child for "struggling family unit."
Exactly. I pay more taxes because I am not married anymore, but we are financially very comfortable and my kids aren't deprived. Also, men can make less than women...
Thank you for this, I agree. I'm a single mom and take my son to Disney sometimes two/three times a year. I hate the assumption that because I'm a single mom I must be poor. Just recently had that happen at a new doctors office for my son, assumed I was on Medicaid when handed me the forms. Had it happen another time meeting another mom from his school, came right out and was like 'oh are you on food stamps?' 🙄 Happens more than it should. And believe me, I'm a bit of a diva so I'm not walking around wearing rags here.

But regardless of the example being used... Disney has priced out a certain element of ALL families. My mom would tell me stories about how in the 90s she'd just go grab our 5-day Disneyland tickets at the Disney store for about $50 a piece. We'd drive (from Colorado) and stay at the Little Boy Blue motel and pack our lunches. Those trips were affordable. Could you do that now? Sure, but now there's more to pay for in park that impacts your experience not to have. And tickets now don't pass the inflation test.

On the flip side, if you save money and cut out other expenses.... My son's first Disneyland trip was my first year out of grad school so I was still entry level in my career and I scrimped, saved, had a garage sale, etc. to make it happen. We stayed at a cheap hotel, didn't splurge on souvenirs.. 🤷‍♀️ All depends on how much you want it.
Agree -- lower income people are certainly more likely to get priced out of a Disney (or honestly, any theme park) vacation. But frankly, that's the way life is. I'm more concerned about poor people being priced out of things like mental health services, food, gas, etc.

Single parent here - and one who traveled to Disney about every other year when the kiddos were little and money was pretty tight. We flew down on super discounted airfare or drove (we once got tickets for $9/person round trip!). We stayed at All Star Resorts, and packed breakfast and snacks and shared meals. We agreed to a budget and stuck to it and made great memories.

The problem with the new Disney IMO is that some of the things that they've taken away and now charge for are the things that make many families hesitant to travel to Disney. First and foremost for me would have been Magical Express. That was a life-saver with two littles in car seats. And the baggage delivery to our room? Heavenly. That alone is a new super hassle, even now that my kids are older. The old FastPass made it much easier to plan around kids schedule, and I don't ever remember waiting for resort buses ten years ago the way we've waited this last year.

We're taking a Disney break and going to SeaWorld parks and Universal in the next year. So far during the planning process, their Customer Service is far superior to Disney's...and we were Annual Passholders. Disney has some work to do.
This is very true. Part of the reason we became hooked on Disney was the ease -- baggage delivery to the room, magical express. The best way to travel by myself with three small children. Of course, 10 years ago, there was no Uber or Lyft. But just the idea of dragging all of the luggage by myself through the airport is really unpleasant. Now, I stick the kids with their own luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter