Why was Disney Springs such a terrible experience for us?

hodad

DIS Veteran
My 5yo daughter, my 67yo mother, and I had a wonderful three day trip to WDW, including a day in MK. But on May 2 we went to Disney Springs in the hopes of getting souvenirs and thank you presents for the teenage girls who housesat while we were away.

To put it bluntly, we had a terrible time, and I'm half venting and half asking for advice on how to make our next trip less unpleasant. Warning: here be abundant complaints, which you are more than welcome to ignore, but I nevertheless need to get off my chest.

The walk from the orange lot to World of Disney was ridiculously long and hot. There seemed to be no places for the kid and grandma to sit and cool down or get out of the shade. People have told me that there are drinking fountains every 40 feet but we didn't see any.

We went to the Indiana Jones bar because the 5yo was running out of steam fast. I have to complement the bartender, whose name I have forgotten, for his patience and kindness with her as she slowly perused the kid's menu, then just asked for a cup of ice water.

That gave her enough energy to make it to the Lego store, where she built mini-figs for about 20 minutes in the air-conditioning. Thank heavens for the Lego store, but why are there so few kid-friendly places throughout the rest of Disney Springs?

When we finally got to World of Disney, it was disappointing. I was expecting something like the Anaheim store, but this was bigger, less organized, and despite its size seemed to have a smaller variety of items. Grandma wanted to buy a sun hat for the kid and had a really hard time finding any. Cast members apologized for being helpless. All they could do was ask if it was for a boy or a girl, then direct grandma to the Minnie-themed room or the Princess-themed room, neither of which had hats that protect someone from the sun.

While I waited in line to buy some towels and the Ariel-themed mouse ears that the kid picked out and received several complements for, she and grandma went out looking for a refreshing drink. When I met up with them, they were grumpy and still thirsty. All they could find, searching as much as any reasonable person would expect them to search, was a place with chocolate drinks, a place with margaritas, and a place with smoothies--none of which sounded anywhere near satisfying to either of them.

Tired, hot, and still thirsty, we were dreading the walk back to the Orange parking structure. Halfway back grandma went to a little shop selling sugary treats and asked for a drink. The owner mentioned that he had bottled water for sale even though it wasn't on the menu, and grandma told him she felt like Disney Springs wanted visitors to be thirsty and uncomfortable, and he said he agreed, that it made people want to buy things.

I get that Disney is fundamentally a business, beholden only to its shareholders. But as a mall, Disney Springs was really really terrible, and as a Disney experience, it was more Mr. Dawes Sr. than Fairy Godmother.

I hope things get better as construction finishes, and that the place becomes more user-friendly for a broader range of visitors. But it was by far the low point of our otherwise magical, unforgettable trip (We had breakfast with Winnie the Pooh! We swam in the pool at Coronado Springs! We rode Splash Mountain during the fireworks! The churro vendor gave us an extra churro in Frontierland!).

Going at night would have helped you guys a lot, since you wouldn't have had to worry about needing shade. We only ever go to DS at night, and it helps our moods when touring the area greatly. That's my #1 tip for anyone going to DS. You're going to experience heavier crowds, but the lack of the sun beating down on you makes it worth it. Also looking at a map of the area and looking into what the food retailers sell prior to going will help in the future, so you know where you can find bottled water and soda. Otherwise you will spend a lot of time aimlessly wandering, which will only make you more hot and thirsty, and therefore irritable. Most quick service restaurants sell fountain drinks separately from food, and also are willing to give out cups of ice water.

"As much as any person could reasonably be expected to search" apparently doesn't include walking 300 feet to the left of world of Disney to find Earl of Sandwich, Goofy's Candy Company, or the GIANT Starbucks you would have walked right past to get there? You can see the Starbucks from ghiradelli (I imagine that is "the place with chocolate drinks") PS the margarita stand has nonalcoholic juices and water.

Or, consulting a map was too much effort?

I agree that the walk from the Orange garage was obnoxious, but Disney Springs is meant to be a shopping/dining destination, as such no, it does not have places for kids to play every 5 feet. There are many stores to duck into if you are hot.

First the disclaimer...I'm 53 years old and overweight but healthy. I don't run marathons or even work out regularly but I can easily walk from the orange garage to World of Disney in the Florida heat and any reasonably healthy person should be able to do the same including a 5 year old.
I get really tired of people complaining that places are too far to walk to. It's a nice walk. It's pretty and has cool stores. You should enjoy it and appreciate that you have some money to spend and 2 legs that work instead of complaining that Disney put the parking garage too far from the store you wanted to visit.

I thought about this some more - the Starbucks is literally attached to World of Disney.

If bottled water, a smoothie, fruit juice, anything sold at Starbucks, or soda was insufficient for drinking - what were you looking for? A place that has smoothies almost certainly has water.

For making your next visit more pleasant, I suggest being more aware of your surroundings so you are better able to locate what you need.

Also, the new town center area is a shortcut from the Orange garage and directly connects with world of Disney.

Last edited:
We went on Saturday midday (blazing hot sun). We found plenty of shade to walk through. Also, on the market side, there are plenty of shops that connect to each other so we did that. I was a little confused about not being able to find something to drink. (I have not been on the side past the Lego store since it has been going under refurbishment, so will not comment on that area) On the Marketplace side, there are LOTS of places to get drinks...including the pretzel stand (Also right outside of WOD) and those places mentioned above. I am in agreement of the merchandise at WOD. I was very disappointed. I actually did not buy a thing there! If the walking is too much, maybe consider a stroller for the 5 yr old...even if they normally don't use one, or a scooter for yourself or mom. I cannot walk great distances, so I always rent a scooter at WDW, as I know my limits.

But the number one thing to do before next time, is research and study a map of the place. That way you know what shops are where and places that will have food and drink that you prefer. (here on the dis or allearsnet has menus for all places) Good luck!

research and study a map of the place

Thank you for a helpful suggestion. We assumed that, unlike the Magic Kingdom, Disney Springs wouldn't require homework. I guess that's where we went wrong! I can't see a reason to bring kids back to Disney Springs but it looks like a good place for healthy, affluent adults to get a meal.

I don't know why grandma didn't purchase a non-coffee drink at Starbucks. maybe because she was on the other side of WoD, was tired, and was wrangling a 5yo. 300 feet is a lot when you're not in the best of health and keeping track of a little kid. Maybe she should have waited in line at WoD while I went to buy a cool drink.

I have no idea why you had such a hard time finding a cold drink. There are food and drink locations literally everywhere you look.

I don't think a shopping/dining complex can be expected to have numerous spots for a child to play. That's what the theme parks are for. There is a carousel and train ride for little ones, as well as a squirting fountain play area where she could have cooled down. Every store is air conditioned...

Sounds like you were flying blind and none of you tolerates the heat well, so you were all crabby and impatient. You were in Florida in May. Why did you not come prepared with sun hats and carry along cold bottled water with you? We treat a day at Disney Springs just like a theme park day. Bring sunscreen, hats, bottled water, snacks, etc. It's an outdoor mall, basically.

You showed up unprepared. That is why you had a bad time. Next time, you will know to bring cold water, hats, maybe some snacks or toys to keep your child entertained while you shop, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter