Why we're not buying annual passes again and instead, doing a non-park vacation.

Canadian Tom

DIS Veteran
Hello: We have two weeks booked for March and April next year and we've decide after being annual passholders for many year to forgo the passes and not enter the parks. We're displeased and shocked with what is happening with Disney World regarding genie plus and pay for the rides individually. Can I afford the cost, most definitely, but, the whole thing about paying extra to go on the attractions after paying the high park entry fee is insulting. I've watched the wait times for the major attractions for quite a while and appalled at the standby wait times. If I was a cynical person, I would say Disney is purposely making the standby wait times long in order to increase revenue. So, we plan to spend two weeks at BCV enjoy all the facilities and not go in the parks to stand in long lines. We'll find other things to do and enjoy eating and spending our dollars at some non-disney establishments. Thanks Disney for giving us the reason to try a non-park Disney holiday. Thanks Canadian Tom

Another annual pass holder that did not renew. I finally booked a return for after the holidays ( since mid 2019) and I’m still deciding whether we ll actually go.
Im concerned about the added cost for the previous free service FP, unhappy to see the many reports of people saying the “feel” has changed within the parks with less than happy CM’s and guests as well, I really don’t want to be looking down at my phone all day trying to get on rides with long waits, and carrying more stuff to charge up our likely dead phones mid way thru the day. It was my Happy Place, the total immersion was the escape. I’m just not sure it’s worth paying More now to get Less and not feel satisfied.
I’m looking forward to more posts about guest experiences with Genie etc. then, I’ll decide.
Hoping your vacation is a Great one, OP!

Hello: We have two weeks booked for March and April next year and we've decide after being annual passholders for many year to forgo the passes and not enter the parks. We're displeased and shocked with what is happening with Disney World regarding genie plus and pay for the rides individually. Can I afford the cost, most definitely, but, the whole thing about paying extra to go on the attractions after paying the high park entry fee is insulting. I've watched the wait times for the major attractions for quite a while and appalled at the standby wait times. If I was a cynical person, I would say Disney is purposely making the standby wait times long in order to increase revenue. So, we plan to spend two weeks at BCV enjoy all the facilities and not go in the parks to stand in long lines. We'll find other things to do and enjoy eating and spending our dollars at some non-disney establishments. Thanks Disney for giving us the reason to try a non-park Disney holiday. Thanks Canadian Tom
I feel this way also. We haven’t been to WDW in a few years and have been talking about going back, but changed our mind for the reasons you listed.

I am making plans for a new holiday in late 2022 2023 . I will be going down to Orlando BUT no Disney Parks this time around..
..... I am just not willing to look at a phone 1/4 of my holiday.
I won't pay more money for rides I have already been on then have to pay extra for them ,,that's just plain crazy.
Get up at 7 am to book rides on a Holiday???
Reports of unclean park & upset guest.
I may be a DVC owner but that doesn't mean I have accept everything that is happening at Disney right now.

Best wishes to everyone
Hugs
Mel

I just read this, and for the first time in my life, I said "Screw you Disney". I've almost had it.

"Although the Q4 Earnings call revealed a 99% increase in Parks revenue compared to last year, Disney is still looking to cut costs.

One suggestion from CFO Christine McCarthy involved reducing the portion sizes of food at restaurants to increase profits.

She also commented that in addition to saving money the idea was “probably good for some people’s waistlines.”

We still have a couple of 8 day park hoppers from the original issue of the Canadian Ticket Offer. I'm thinking that we've got to use them eventually but DW is flat out refusing to ever set foot on Disney property again. This after going at least once a year for the last 20 years and admittedly being a huge Disney family. After cutting Fastpass+ for Genie$, cutting Magical Express, limiting park hopping to after 2PM, cutting 180 day dining reservations, no extra magic hours, etc, etc, etc, she's just angry. Disney has chosen the people they want in their establishments and it definitely is not us. Sad.

I just read this, and for the first time in my life, I said "Screw you Disney". I've almost had it.

"Although the Q4 Earnings call revealed a 99% increase in Parks revenue compared to last year, Disney is still looking to cut costs.

One suggestion from CFO Christine McCarthy involved reducing the portion sizes of food at restaurants to increase profits.

She also commented that in addition to saving money the idea was “probably good for some people’s waistlines.”
Someone needs to tell this woman that just because she looks like Cruella Deville she doesn’t need to act like her too.

As someone looking at going to Disney for the first time in their adult lives, I don't find the cost of tickets all that outrageous (although Genie+ is obviously a money grab), for me it's the on-site hotel prices that are bonkers, especially when factoring the exchange rate in.

This is why they should never let the finance people talk about operations

With what is happening to Walt's Happy Place. I think he'd be turning in his grave. I think it goes against his basic premise of why he built Walt Disney World.

With what is happening to Walt's Happy Place. I think he'd be turning in his grave. I think it goes against his basic premise of why he built Walt Disney World.
IMO it looks good on them. It doesn't help that people continue to go yet hate what's happening to the parks. The only way things change is if people stop going.

IMO it looks good on them. It doesn't help that people continue to go yet hate what's happening to the parks. The only way things change is if people stop going.

It doesn't matter - for every person who stops going (or threatens to, see countless previous posts) there is always someone else waiting to step into that spot.

Every time something like this happens there's countless whinging on various forums (see alcohol in the Magic Kingdom/Disneyland as an example), followed by Disney posting record profits.

We stopped going to WDW a few years ago with only a overnight stay with a visit to Disney Springs for dinner, then it was off to Universal. The one night stay was only because of ME and now that that will be gone there’s really no point in that overnight anymore. We have one more stat at WDW planned and that is because we are taking our grandchild on the family tradition of ‘first visit when you turn 5’.
I don’t agree that record profits have to do with people saying they will no longer go but go anyways. I think the record profits has to do with all the cutbacks they continue to do. Cutting ME for example will increase the bottom line substantially but it just means people like me will skip Disney Springs.
Every time people say they won’t be back, at least a few mean it. Soon enough, more and more people will mean it. WDW is becoming a place for the elite and as that continues so will cutting things and increasing cost to continue making those profits.

We used to go at least twice yearly. We have 2 trips planned for next year (DLR in the summer and WDW at Christmas/NYE). After that, it will be once yearly at most. We used to do 2 dessert parties at Christmas. That is ending. We also do a lot of sit-down meals. Cutting back on that. With the end of the Magical Express, we will be renting a car again and will venture off property for meals on our non-park days like we used to do when we didn't stay on property. Haven't been to Universal in over a decade, but I think it is time to go back.

We have a trip planned to Florida...but we decided to cut Disney out totally. We will do the race (Daytona 500 - as that's the whole reason for our trip) and 2 days at Universal and one day at Kennedy Space center, then head down to the keys for what would have been our Disney days to do adult relaxation and touring around. I looked at staying on a Disney property then uber/car rental to get to Universal for 2 days, but we just decided it just wasn't the best use of our $$$ Can we afford it...yes. Do we feel the value of our hard earned and saved dollars will be best spent at Disney...NOPE. As much as I want to experience some of new rides and things, the value of it is just not there. So we will give our tourism dollars to other areas of Florida.

We do want to take the granddaughter when she is a little older. We will be doing it VERY differently then, staying off property, no park hopping, and VERY little eating on Disney property. It is just too costly, for the value of it. We have many other places we want to see/experience in the world. For us, Disney will never be one of those places we regularly visit.

We used to do annual passes, ME and not rent a car, we'd eat all meals on property and spend lots of time in the parks walking around and eating but now without ME, renting a car and not going in the parks, we'll spend most of our dollars off property. Thanks Disney

I remember that happening some things in the Toronto area...I remember getting seasons passes for years at Canada's Wonderland before kids, then one year, I remember the prices going up insanely. My hubby and I looked at each other and said "yunno, let's skip getting them this year, it's not worth the price". I think a lot of people thought the same thing, as within two years, Wonderland dropped the price for the seasons passes. The prices are still high for seasons passes (years later), but there are more incentives and specials to make it a little more affordable. But, my point being, enough people stopped going that they had no choice but to try and entice people back. Right now, Disney doesn't need to do that, people are going to the park and putting up with the 'less is more'.

Disney is a business and needs to make a profit, but at this rate, for the price of going to Disney, I could go on a dream vacay to Italy! To be honest, I'd LOVE to take my family to Disney to experience the joy that I did going there as a child. But, waking up at 7 am to try and get a pass for a ride, standing in line for two plus hours and sitting on my phone most of the day checking wait times instead of enjoying the parks seems stressful. So, with finally being able to afford a vacation, we're looking at other options.

Right now, I know for a fact that I could fly to London or Paris for a week and it would cost less than a week at WDW. Even with a few shows, plays, or excursions, thrown in for good measure. A nice 3 star hotel in London that I know (and lets face it most WDW hotels are not more than 3 stars) will cost just under $2000 Canadian for a 7 night stay.

Right now, I know for a fact that I could fly to London or Paris for a week and it would cost less than a week at WDW. Even with a few shows, plays, or excursions, thrown in for good measure. A nice 3 star hotel in London that I know (and lets face it most WDW hotels are not more than 3 stars) will cost just under $2000 Canadian for a 7 night stay.
Yeah, it's things like that which really convinced us to look at other places. We'd been planning Disney, then Covid happened. I get that Disney has to recoup the costs of being closed for so long. But, it's the thought of being able to go to Paris, or even a 5 star resort on a beach for less money. I think it was John who said a while back that Disney charges 5 star prices and it's not a 5 star experience (with all the cutbacks). A vacation should be relaxing! I know a theme park is not a 'relaxing' place, but, all the changes have made it sound more and more stressful than ever before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter