• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why would someone do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ducklite

<font color=teal>Take the Poly, it's fabulous!<br>
We had dinner at Citrico's a few nights ago (I'll post a review in a bit). When we got there, there was a family with three kids that looked to be 6, 4, and 2ish. The two year old was already melting down, and the four year old wasn't far behind.

They were seated just before us, and as we walked past their table to get to ours (at the other end of the room) the two year old was kicking and wailing, and the four year old was crying and standing next to the table.

WHY would these parents be so ignorant, rude, and obnoxious to bring kids who had already had enough into a restaurant like that? Get them counter service and put them to bed for God's sake!!

While we were eating one of the managers came over to say hello (being "locals" we eat there enough that several of the managers, servers, and chefs recognize us as "regulars") and asked how our meal was. I mentioned the situation on the other end of the dining room to him, and he agreed it's becoming a problem, and we weren't the first to comment on it. They are discussing ways of dealing with this type of issue that would work for everyone, including seating all families with younger kids within a certain area only, amongst other ideas that he didn't elaborate on. One of the other people we spoke to that night said the previous Friday had been so bad with crying and out of control kids that he had a massive headache that four extra strength Tylonol didn't kill.

Why would parents do that to other diners? Personally I think it's the dining plan. The notion of "I paid for it I"m going to get every freaking dime out of it and to hell with the rest of the world." We've noticed lately a lot of people on the dining plan at the more upscale restaurants that in all honestly probably never would have eaten there otherwise. People who don't understand the items on the menu, have kids who have obviously never eaten anywhere but a barn trough, and even adults with no manners. TAKE YOUR DAMN BASEBALL CAP OFF WHILE AT THE TABLE!! What is WRONG with people these days?

As we told the manager we spoke with, "In all honestly, if Disney doesn't do something about the issues at their nicer restaurants, we'll stop eating at them." We dropped $150 AFTER DDE the other night. Fortunately the obnoxious table was far enough away that we didn't need to deal with them, and the only kids seated near us were either well behaved (one table) or the parents had their meals wrapped and left (another table--and thank you if you are reading this--it was the "right" thing for you to do) or they left before we got our appetizers (a third table that I was about ready to complain about.) Do they really want to lose business like ours (we dine there every 6-8 weeks or so) over people who eat there once every five years and disrupt the place while they are there?

Yesterday we ate at Wolfgang Pucks. They originally tried to seat us next to a table with what looked to be three kids under age five and their obviously overwhelmed parents. We asked to be moved before we even sat down. I'm glad we were as five minutes after we were seated the 14 month or so old hurled her plate to the ground, shattering it and sending the contents flying through the air at other people. And the parents were the ones who had the nerve to give US dirty looks when we asked for a different table before we actually sat down. :rolleyes:

Anne

I feel the same when i am going round shops and supermarkets. i have 3kids and if one of mine were grumpy i would take them somewhere an change their diaper, feed them or lull them to sleep. I saw this the other day. A mom continued pushing wailing toddler around the supermarket as if nothing wrong. I took care of them when needed, my kids always came first! gosh when mine were babies I hardly ate through tending my babies. (i make up now though ;) )I was so skinny :rolleyes: Sitting through a meal where a child is crying is neglect IMHO. Flame away if must!

I don't think that it is just because of the dining plan. This happens in any vacation areas. The "unwritten" rule for parents of young children has been to go to nice restaurants "early". When you are on vacation, this is hard to schedule, and especially in Disney where you may not have many options for time. I know sometimes if I am tired or in a bad mood this would really bother me too, but most times I just have sympathy for the parents, and engage in a nice coversation with my husband/family to distract me.

The Free Dining starts Aug 13, so if I were you and it bothered me so much, I think that I would avoid Disney Restaurants during that time. This promotion allowed many families to be able to afford to go to disney who normally couldn't. They can't afford to "throw away" the TS Credits and PAY for a different meal at a counter service. They are not interchangeable.

As far as disney goes, I expect that Disney is more worried about DISNEYWORLD profits as opposed to those of individual restaurants, I'm sure that tourists are much more there business than "locals", so I wouldn't count on disney stopping families from dining in the nice restaurants any time soon.

FYI, I have only one child (14 years old) and I always tried my best to use the eat early rule

naz022292 said:
I don't think that it is just because of the dining plan. This happens in any vacation areas. The "unwritten" rule for parents of young children has been to go to nice restaurants "early". When you are on vacation, this is hard to schedule, and especially in Disney where you may not have many options for time. I know sometimes if I am tired or in a bad mood this would really bother me too, but most times I just have sympathy for the parents, and engage in a nice coversation with my husband/family to distract me.

When a kid is SCREAMING at the table next to you, that's not always an option. There are PLENTY of options for TS dining at early hours at WDW in more appropriate settings. I'm not talking about a fussy infant, I'm talking about full fledged melt-downs by toddlers. It's unacceptable for parents to stay in a restaurant with kids who are being that disruptive. No one should have to listen to it.

The Free Dining starts Aug 13, so if I were you and it bothered me so much, I think that I would avoid Disney Restaurants during that time. This promotion allowed many families to be able to afford to go to disney who normally couldn't. They can't afford to "throw away" the TS Credits and PAY for a different meal at a counter service. They are not interchangeable.

But they could always order their meals to go at the podium so as to not disrupt everyone in the restaurant. They can also plan their TS credits to be used during lunch time when the kids are not totally wiped out after a day in the sun. There are plenty of ways to handle it without making an absolute nuisance of yourself.

As far as disney goes, I expect that Disney is more worried about DISNEYWORLD profits as opposed to those of individual restaurants, I'm sure that tourists are much more there business than "locals", so I wouldn't count on disney stopping families from dining in the nice restaurants any time soon.

With over two million people in a 70 mile radius of WDW, you would be surprised how many people dining at a nicer WDW restaurant on any given night are locals. Losing their buisiness WILL make a noticiable dent in profits.

I agree they aren't going to stop families, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do start either confining them to one area or becoming more proactive about wrapping their food and sending them on their way when their kids are disrupting the establishment. It's not just the locals who it bothers, it's the "tourists" as well.

Anne

Scratch42 said:
They Gotta Get their Money's Worth! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That's it!

They wanted to eat there, and they didn't think about the other diners, or even worse, their own kids, simply because they "can" and they "want to".

I wish it didn't happen. When you're plopping down 100-200 dollars on a relaxing, upscale meal, you don't want to hear anyone's meltdown- and you shouldn't have to- especially since WDW as such an abundance of child care programs.

When I was little, I remember starting to go to nicer restaurants at age 8 or 9 and I knew that I was being included with adults and if I didn't behave appropriately, I wouldn't be included any longer. I was taught table manners- how to put the napkin on my lap, what fork to use, how to ask to be excused to use the bathroom, etc.

It's not like there is a magical age- I know my 13 year old nephew can't sit still for that long. Even in Applebee's or something- once he's done eating, he's out of there- he'll run around in the parking lot until the adults finish and pay. Of course, I expect to see children, but if a child is screaming or throwing things (or if the parent is) they don't belong in a restaurant at that time.

Anne So sorry to hear this especially since we will be dining there for the first time in Aug. As a mother of 3 boys, who enjoy eating out, I have always tried to make sure wherever we go was appropriate for their ages. (was finally happy when they were all old enough that dinner out was not an evening at McDonalds :) ) They are now 14, 17, and 25. Over the years we have tried more upscale restaurants at Disney and occasionally have seen the same situation. Having a seperate are for families sounds like a great idea. I'm looking forward to hearing your review; I don't often see many for this restaurant.

I don't care where it is, I don't blame the kids. They don't know better. The parents do.
(I always say us without kids make the most PERFECT parents. ;) :lmao: )
I once walked into a (non-Disney) store heard a kid wailing clear from the back of the store and turned around and left. No thank you.
I have seen parents take fussy/wailing/crying/sick young ones in strollers into PI and DTD LATE (11:00 p.m.+). :confused3
Before Akershus went all princess we were going in for dinner. A (toddler or slightly older) crying boy had been left in the lobby by himself to play while the parents went and did whatever. I think the parents expected the CMs to babysit. And they were busy doing their job, and obviously felt very uncomfortable with the whole situation.
Where we were seated we could hear the kid wailing away. We were going to ask to be moved and finally someone came and got him. :rolleyes:
Sometimes the common sense leaves, if there was any there in the first place.

We ate at Citrico's last year for the first time. I think it's more refined, classy and quiet and felt that it wasn't a place for young kids. This year, we are not returning.

If I had very young kids, I would have been very uncomfortable with any screaming here. My kids are 11 and 15 and I won't go to Citrico's even with them. We tend to get loud and it isn't the type of restaurant for that.

ACJT said:
rich snobs??
Youch!!!
I think rich snobs would dine somewhere else than WDW! :rolleyes:
If you can eat through your kids screaming you are lucky - the majority cant !

I think it is more of a case of bad planning. I know my teen son would complain if I booked all 2 sig table service eateries. That just wouldnt fill him ! so i plan and book a few buffets to keep him happy and just enough table service to keep ME happy. If I had toddlers I would not book signature dining restaurants, unless I knew they could behave. At Narcosees 3 years ago dd age 5 was perfectly behaved.

ACJT said:
rich snobs??

I seriously doubt that. Have to agree with Anne, it's the opposite - they paid for the dining plan, scheduled their ADRs poorly without thinking of how exhausted their kids would be, and are not about to change plans now. The rich snobs you mention would spend money to hire a babysitter and leave their kids in their room relaxing and watching TV.

I am not sure what the previous poster is implying.....who are rich snobs? Those of us who do not want to hear screaming exhausted children while eating at an upscale restaurant and are complaining about the screaming exhausted children.....Maybe you could clarify... :) or are you implying they are "the entitled" and as such have every right to eat there and their children can misbehave because they can...

I hear ya Anne, Citrico's is one of my favorite restaurants and we eat there each time we go to WDW. I will tell you that if my husband and I were there and there was a child having a meltdown at the table beside me, I would asked to be moved and if that could not be done, I probably would leave and have my food packaged up. I am not sure I could leave without saying something to the parents or those in charge of the restaurant.

I agree with a previous poster, this is clearly a parenting issue. I had three daughters, adults now, and we took them to the finest restaurants. If one of them was out of sorts for whatever reason, one of us left the table with that child whether we had finished our meal or not. I would never subject other diners to my children's behavior if it was not appropriate.

One more thought, I live in a resort area......I see this every day because when these people are not in Florida for the warm weather, they are here on Cape Cod and there is no food plan here. I truly believe it is the we are here spending our money and our children have rights too...if you complain, you are someone who does not like children...

I think it's a combination of "max out the dining plan," poor planning, and not really caring about the kid issues.

My DD ate at restaurants from the age of a few weeks (ok, she didn't eat then, but she sat). However, the key was/is the choice of restaurants. Our favorite local spot has good food and is always crowded and noisy. They seat a kid in high chair and appear with a bag of Teddy Grahams, crayons, coloring sheet, and helium balloon to tie to chair. My point it that we chose a family friendly, noisy place. We also (only once) asked a server to pack up our dinners to go as DD was becoming obnoxious--as in "please, don't even serve our dinner. When it comes up, just box it." DD learned her lesson quickly.

Over the years, we ate at many places. As a result, my DD --now a teen--is comfortable anywhere (and knows how to behave). She knows how to speak respectfully to servers, send back a poorly cooked steak, and tip appropriately. I have seen her instruct her friends that they need to order water to drink so they'll have enough money left for a tip--they are just at the age of "can we go to Steak and Shake after the movie" and some of them don't understand allowing for tax and tip in planning what they can afford!

My bottom line--the parents need to treat the children and the restaurant appropriately. If a kid is exhausted, it is nap time, not dinner time. If mom and dad want a fancy restaurant, put the kid in one of the kidcare clubs at WDW and enjoy! Choose appropriately.

And yes, on our last trip, we noticed a lot of little people at restaurants where they had not been previously...at least not in such numbers! Downside to the DDP.

It is very common for a few parents to totally ignore the needs of their children when doing so would interfere with their own enjoyment. Insensitive, to their children and everyone else -- yes. Why would they do that? Selfishness, pure and simple.

I always hate to see this behavior. :confused3 If my girls were tired I would take them back to the room. Hey, WE don't want to hear them scream!!! :furious: WE don't like LOUD noises and neither do our kids. :bitelip: If on the very RARE occasion they were just acting up, they go straight to the bathroom for a smack on the back side and that takes care of it. Usually just the threat of it stopped the behavior. It make us all uncomfortable to hear screaming. :blush:

All this talk of Citrico's is making me want to go. I think I will try to schedule it for our November 2007 trip, my DD's will be 16, 14 and 7. They enjoy upscale menus.

Citrico's is a great restaurant, please do schedule it for your next trip..... we love it there and always recommend it.

Getting back to the OP's original point, I feel very comfortable with a dining Siberia when eating at nicer places with kids.

Last Jan we were at AKL and had dining reservations for Boma for my bday. We had a tired 6 & 9 yr old with us, and we weren't dressed really nicely.

Now, Jiko is my favorite rest of all times, AND it was my birthday. My DH - on a whim - asked Jiko if they had any open slots for dinner. Unbelievably, they had one right then - but it was in the very back, brightly lit, no colors or atmosphere and a few other families with little ones were eating there.

It turned out great. The waiter was wonderful, the kids lounged on the big booth and played with their gameboys quietly and I wasn't stressed at all with worrying about my kids ruining anything for the better dressed older diners.

Also, we felt it was all so relaxed in Siberia that had they acted up, we could have immediately ordered the food to be wrapped up and gone back to Old Key West.

Obviously, they took one look at us and put us back there - but we were thrilled and happy with the situation.

So yes - I say separate the families with little ones in nicer restaurants! Flame away!

Growing up, my parents would take the three of us (starting with the youngest around 4-5 yrs old) to very high end French resturants about 2 - 3 times a year. We learned very quickly how to behalf, and any poor behavior was simply not tolerated. The one time my DB acted up, my mom took the three of us out of the resturant immediately, and we waited at the car while DF settled the bill. With that said, these meals were NOT FUN as a kid (or even as a teenage). They were torture. What kid actually wants to sit down at a dinner table, on their best behavior, for 2+ hours, eating food that we mostly didn't like?

I ate at Citrico on my last trip down with a group of coworks (we were there for company seminars). It is clearly not the place for young children, and I would never book an ADR with DNiece and DNephew on a trip. The kids would not enjoy it; it's a long meal, and hard for even good, older kids to sit for that long. I would definately go back there with adults though.

I just think you need to plan differently with kids - it's not able "getting every dollar's worth" out of the trip, but about having fun. On one recent trip, we were taking the bus and overheard another family with a very fussy toddler. The mother wanted to go back to the resort and put the toddler down for a nap. The father made it clear that the trip was costing a fortune, and he was not wasting an afternoon in the hotel. Their son could just "suck it up" and enjoy the rest of the day (they were hopping from one pack to another). I understand that on the DDP you don't want to waste meals, but you can clearly pick options which are suitable for the group you're traveling with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter