Why would you go to Disney World with a 9 year old?

P

pnelson

My boss just said this to me. He thinks at 9 years, my son is too old for Disney World. I know he's not, but he bummed me out. Is this my last chance to really enjoy Disney World with my son? I know after this trip, he will be a preteen if and when we ever return. No more characters or Fantasyland rides, no more autographs or cute pictures! I'm really bummed.

Don't listen to your boss. My son and I took our first trip to WDW last August, he was 9 years old at the time. He LOVED it. He was excited about all of the rides (except TT, RNR, SM, and AI), and enjoyed meeting the characters. One of his favorite things was the pool at the All Star Sports Resort.

"
One of my favorite memories was watching my son play in the fountain between World Showcase and Future World. We were there for over an hour!

I'm planning our second trip for next summer (he'll be 10) and our third trip for Dis Con 2 (he'll be 11). I don't think he or I'll ever be to old for Disney. Of course as he gets older the things he likes about Disney will change, but I'm sure he will still enjoy going.

I've found that when it comes to Disney, some people just don't get it.

How sad that your boss feels that way. Don't belive him. My DS (9) is so excited about our trip in one month. I know a lot of that is because his mom is excited but he is still a kid and will be for a long time. Nine is a great age. My DS will ride EVERYTHING, from Dumbo to alien encounter.No strolers, he can sit still in nice resturants,rarely whines! I think nine is the perfect age!Enjoy the trip and your precious child.

Jordan's mom

I just took my kids (DD, 11 and DS, 9) to USF/IOA and WDW in May. We also had our friends along with their DS, 9, and DD, 2. The three older kids had a blast at both USF/IOA and WDW. The boys probably had the best time at IOA since they love the wild rides, such as Dueling Dragons and Hulk. But, all of them had a blast at the three WDW parks we did, MK, EPCOT and MGM. They also really loved the horseback riding we reserved for them at the Tri-Circle D Ranch and the speedboats we rented at Poly. Both of my kids are still bugging me to take them back ASAP and I expect this will last all through their teen years if they are like their old man :D
I think if you show that you can let go and be a "kid", the real kids will do it too. Don't listen to the old grumps like your boss!!

Too old...? R U kidding me? We are going down for Christmas with all our kids this year (ages 7, 9, 16, and 23 (with her husband), and everybody is STOKED about the trip. Me? I'm on the downside of 50, and I don't think I'm too old yet...

Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror and Star Tours all rule....

hakuna matata and happy holidays to all....

DB.

p/s How old are you when you quit gasping at the 90 ft tall tree in Wilderness Lodge..?

again in Feb. They are 14 (a VERY mature 14), 12 and 2 yr old. The older kids stod in line for all of the characters and got pics with them. They also loved the character breakfasts. My 12 yr old son "pretended" to be embarrased when was hugged by a character but he loved it. Go and have fun. And no one is topo old for Dumbo!!

Don't you just hate people with their ignorant opinions?

I have heard the exact same statement except it was:

"Why would you take a baby?"
"Why would you take a 1 year old?"
"Why would you take a 2 year old?"

And so on.... she is 4 and 1/2 now and loved every one of her 7 trips so far. We went with our nephews (ages 9, 11, 13, & 14) in March and they had a ball and want to go back.

Ignore your boss!!!

I'm 30 and I can't get enough of the place!

A lot of people just don't get it. Age has nothing to do with the Disney Spirit. My son, 21 (yo), and myself were just at VB & WDW this past July. This next July we're all going back....son#1 24 yo and his wife, son #2 21yo, daugther 13yo my wife and myself. You can never get enough Disney!

I loved Jenn's comment about the questions "Why would you take a baby? 1 year old, etc." I think we've had children of every age at Disney World - 6 weeks to 18 (19 when we celebrate her birthday with dinner at Artist's Point on Christmas Day) and I've always been amazed how "every age" seems just right for the magic.

My youngest is more timid than some and I don't think he'll even be ready for Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, etc. until he's nine!

I JUST NOW got off the phone with a friend of my boy (another high schooler, age 17) and he and his Grandma (age way-over-17) are going to join us (fortunately we have a 2BR at BWV waiting). I gess they didnt realize that they're both overage......

DB.

Really, people just don't get it. I have found people either LOVE WDW or don't. We always get"You are going again?" This trip we disscussed other options, but all of us decided to go back to the place we love, yes, again. My twins are 8, and are SO excited to get back. Everytime we go there are things we STILL haven't done or seen.
Have a GREAT trip!!!

Since my DS is only 3, I can't speak for him, but I can tell you that there hasn't been an age where I didn't want to go to WDW/DL...

I will say that its POSSIBLE your son MAY be a little less excited about WDW/DL during his teen years. But even if this does happen, it will be a phase. If he has the Magic in him, it will never go away. It will remain so he can pass it to his own children.

I was just talking about this post with my massage thearpist and the receptionist at her office. They both agree anyone who would say what pnelson's boss said has never been to WDW. My best friend hates amusment parks. She will not take her 11yr old DS to any and thinks anyone who does is "dumb". Her aunt uncle and 2 grown cousins stat at FW every winter for 3 weeks and every yr they invite her and her DS to join them. Every yr she will say "he is too young". LOL she really thought I was nuts taking my then 2yr old DD. She was just talking about an ex coworkers of hers whos daughter is taking her 4 and 2 yr olds to WDW. She said "boy won't she be bored since they are too young to ride any of the rides". I just laughed.

How sad .... for you boss that is. He obviously doesn't understand the disney magic. But that's his loss.
We all know better and my DS aged 9 will be going for the 2nd time this year. He is very excited as is his 7 year old brother. They love Disney.
As for being too old - we are taking both grandparents with us - both are in their 60s and still can't wait to get to Disney. Once the magic gets you....

Have a wonderful trip

Angela

Hey pnelson,
I have a suggestion. Take your boss with you to WDW and show him how wrong he is. :rolleyes:

These are great replys everyone! They are really making me feel better! I've been a little sad anyways because my son is growing so fast! Everyone is right-People just don't get DW!

There is never a wrong age to go to Disney!!! Heck, my $81 yo grandmother says she wants to go with us next year (if she is still alive) (Her quote not mine but then she has said that for every year since she was 45!) We have taken our kids from the time they were 2 weeks in utero (didn't know it at the time) to current ages of 9, 6, 3. My 9 yo is the most excited. She can do everything this year. No height restrictions. She is so psyched. She loves Epcot, AK, and MK the best! (Oh and in that order)

Obviously, your boss hasn't seen the commercial of the family that is vacationing at WDW and they all are arguing about what to do next and the matriarch of the family steps up and says, "We are doing Tower of Terror!" Has your boss even been to WDW? If so he wouldn't have said that!!!

We too have wondered if we should try something different and then we burst out laughing wondering what instance of insanity we had just had!

You aren't the crazy one, your boss is!

:earsgirl:
45 more days!

DD was 8-1/2 and loved it! We didn't want to go when she was younger and wouldn't have any recollection in her own memory other than photographs. Now at 10-1/2 she can't wait to go again (she be 11-1/2 if we go as planned).

BTW. I was 10 on my first trip and 29 on the 2nd- I can't wait to go again either!

Disnee Dad Says......................................................Your boss is an idiot, no, tell him he is uninformed. Unless you have gone five times, 9 is a great age. He/She will enjoy the characters, meals or otherwise. All the great rides, for all ages!! I think your boss needs to "growdown" , rather than growup! WDW is for al ages, if you believe in magic!

He will have a wonderful time! Ignore your boss! I am 15, and just went on my first trip in April, but convinced my parents to let us go back the first week in January! I LOVE WDW, and most of my friends that have been there love it too! WDW is a place for almost all ages, and he will most likely enjoy it throughout his teen years also!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter