Why you should not use Turbo Tax

W

WebmasterAlex

I have always used Turbo Tax but I certainly won't be using it this year! I can't believe they would put something in their product that can screw up your computer!

This is from P.C. magazine

Well wonder no more – product activation has now made its way into one of the most popular software programs ever created, TurboTax. And, as an extra bonus, the latest release of TurboTax comes with Macrovisions's obnoxious C-Dilla malware. C-Dilla prevents you from copying the CD by disabling your CD-RW drive. That means it's monitoring your CD writing activities all the time. As if you needed more processes running on your machine. Early reports from some users indicate that C-Dilla has caused interference with other software and that it is inordinately difficult to get rid of, perhaps requiring a low-level hard disk format. And to make things even dicier, Intuit apparently did not overtly inform purchasers of the new TurboTax that C-Dilla was included and would be installed on their systems.

Thanks, ALEX. I'm a Tax Cut user, but I'll be certain to see it they too are packing C-Dilla on their disc......

Well, I already bought it and will be using it, I guess I'll just have to deal with it!

I used it a couple of years ago. I don't think we will be using the newest version, though.

Alex(or anyone!), Do you know if Spyware Scan will detect and remove the spyware after you use the Turbotax?

We received the TurboTax deluxe CD in the mail for 2002. Yikes! I don't want to use it now - thanks for the warning.

No wonderlandmom it will not. From what I have read it is almost impossible to get this off of your computer once it is on there.

Alex,

You said it will this c-dilla will monitor all the time. So, it just won't stop you from copying the turbotax cd rom, but ALl the cd's you copy after you do you taxes? Thanks.

That's a complicated question AZkathy, but it does modify your computer in a way that no software package should ever do. There is a LOT of good info on that link that wonderland mom posted. I also looked at the thread on amazon that is linked to from that thread. I don't think anyone has all the answers on this but why take a chance? At the very least it seems to add an extra "process" to your computer which means that your computer is always running something it does not need, using up your processor and memory etc and that stays after you uninstall turbo tax. The rating at Amazon is down to 1 star our of 5 and people are dumping it in droves. I found this review, from a software engineer interesting

I am like many other reviewers in that I have been using turbo tax for years. Basically I pick up a copy at the local Frys Electronics every year (they have a couple of pallets at each store). This year I saw a bunch of taped notices on the pallets warning about "C-DILLA" and the authentication scheme. Well, since Fry's has a pretty good return policy (if you can stand to wait in their line) I decided to give it a try...

BOY WHAT A MISTAKE I MADE...

Once the C-DILLA software was installed (which by the way is never mentioned in their documentation and doesn't uninstall when you uninstall Turbo Tax) it started "interfacing" with my CD/RW and DVD/RW such that I began to have other issues outside of Turbo Tax. I ended up spending almost 8 hours (I'm a computer engineer by trade) researching and working at removing this program from my computer. Use google to find some of the "analysis" of the program. Its not pretty what it is capable of and the fact that Intuit does this both without telling you and (apparently) without doing enough internal research to know what they were getting into just boggles the mind.

Needless to say, I returned the package to Frys. Apparently I wasn't the only person. It took less time to return this package than anything else I had ever returned. They just took one look at the product and started filling out the paperwork. Note that Frys typically caters to silicon valley engineering types (course they are in other places too, but there is a pretty good engineering density here) so the number of returns here might be higher. Who knows.

As a software distributor, I'd be leary of selling this product with a return rate that high. The overhead cost of returns would totally eat out of my distribution profit. Who knows, maybe this will "break the camels back". I drive past the Mountain View Intuit offices almost every day. Now I wonder what they were thinking in those buildings....

It's tax cut (which has none of this stuff) for me this year!

Alex, thanks for the heads up. I have been reading the link, but so much is latin to this computer dummy. I do believe last year was the last year we will use TurboTax......Tax Cut, here we come.

If nothing else Dan you now have unnecessary processes running on your computer. They have no right to take up your computers resources without permission.

Thanks, Alex!

We have used Turbo Tax for the past few years. Appreciate the heads up!

What about those of us who are technologically behind and don't have a CD-RW or DVD-RW drive on our computer? Do we have to worry?

Thanks Alex. I posted a similar warning (although much shorter) on another TurboTax thread. I just found out the news albeit a bit too late since I have already mangled my TurboTax box in order to get my rebate. I'll check out the website cited for advice as to whether or not I can use Ad-Aware (or a similar program) to remove the spyware.

It mostly affects people with CD writers Amy, however anytime anything is writing something to a part of your disk that can't be removed even by formatting it is NOT a good thing. It could potentially interfere with programs in the future.
I have no idea Jeff, I have never seen MAC mentioned!
It looks like a really tough thing TC.. even with adware.
I can't believe how scummy these people are but I am glad to see there is a huge backlash happening, they are loosing a ton of business.
They have already found a couple of lies on the reply on their website so they are obviously running scared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter