Why you should not use Turbo Tax

Hi Michelle!

They can stick whatever name they want on it for all I care. That part's irrelevant.

The bottom line fact is NO program, short of software written by the hard drive manufacturer should do anything directly to your hard drive at this level. If the program malfunctions, and damages the boot record, you now have a hard drive that is completely unrecoverable, and possibly unfixable. Software should never have the ability to break the hardware.

And, considering the misjudgement they made in this part of the software, do you really want software written by them doing your taxes? I wouldn't.

And which tax product is linked to Microsoft? TaxCut. I rest my case. I will continue to be a TurboTax user, and I doubt that this will signficantly cost them market share since TurboTax is and long has been the software of choice for paid preparers. I appreciate the warnings and am dismayed about some of the implications, but the alternatives are not better IMHO.

Can anyone refer me to a neutral third-party software review for this years TurboTax? We've used it for years and I'd hate to change now but if all this hoopla is accurate, we will. I'd hate to change and then find out that the scare is a carefully planned Microsoft maneuver to get people to switch to TaxCut.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here on this thread. I just do not know enough about software to evaluate the pros and cons.

Peggy

WebmastgerAlex

It appears that TurboTax is listening to the complaints and have come up with an uninstall program that may eliminate the issue raised by you. See http://news.com.com/2100-1040-980600.html My wife loves TurboTax and I hope that this program solves your issue.

Wow! Now I'm totally confused. This was the first year I was going to do our taxes by myself using one of these programs. We will be filing jointly (DH & I) and the only things we have to itemize are our mortgage interest, taxes paid and charitable contributions. I was going to buy Turbo Tax, but now I'm glad I didn't. We don't have any CD burners/writers, but I don't want to take any chances.

Are there any similar problems with Taxcut software? Which version should I use? Deluxe or Standard?

Thanks for the updated information, I'm glad the uninstaller comes with the launch of the program now. That's what I was waiting for. I purchased Turbo Tax long ago and I'm using it this year.

Tax cut seems fairly safe. Whether you need standard or deluxe depends on your tax situation, most people can get by with standard.

I think that I am going to give Tax Cut a try. As I mentioned before, Tax Cut will pick up the information from last year's tax programs, and with all of the coupons, instant rebates, and mail in rebates, I will get it and lots of other software for free.
I don't need to take a chance that something is going to screw up this machine. I would not take much to do it. :rolleyes:

Where are you finding it for free? Our local circulars (Office Max and Staples) are giving rebates, but it's not free. :(

Hi Denise!

I got the rebates last week at Staples. I know that at least one of them was only good until the 18th (this past Saturday.)

Did Alex ever answer whether the new un-installer for TurboTax answered or dealth with his issue?

I looked over the info they are putting out publicly but quite frankly I don't trust them. I have looked and have not been able to find any independent verification.
For myself, I'm going to stick with the on-line version or tax cut this year.
I would be shocked if they didn't completely revamp this for next year, heads must be rolling over this.

Thanks for the input. This has been a very helpful thread.

I hear that if you are a Fidelity member you can use TT on line and that is safe. Last year it was free - haven't looked yet this year.

I bought Tax Cut at Walmart last night for $25 (Deluxe). I will get a $5 rebate and a free state program. I havd been using Turbo Tax in the past.

I did our return, and both DD's this afternoon. I found Tax cut to be equally as easy to use as Tubo Tax. My mother does income tax and she always reviews our returns to be sure that Turbo Tax didn't miss anything. I will have her do the same this year, but I think Tax Cut is just as good as Turbo Tax.

I appreciate learning about the Turbo Tax problem on the DIS.

After reading this thread, I'm very concerned and hope someone can answer this question. I have used TurboTax for several years. This year I received the disc in the mail, that you go online with and put in your credit card to have the program downloaded for federal and state, instead of purchasing the program from elsewhere. Will this version also cause the problems that you all are speaking of? I'm leary as we just got a new computer, and although it doesn't have a CDwriter I don't want to mess anything up on this very expensive computer...especially since its my son's;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter