• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wicked Wind Down - Are we really not discussing this?

DVCBeachBum

Mouseketeer
With all the discussion over Blue Card vs White Card and staying on points vs cash stays….I was surprised there isn’t a dedicated thread talking about “Wicked Wind Down”.

As a quick overview from what I understand if you have a Blue Card and are staying on property you can book a reservation for TOTW fireworks for $55 a person. You get a drink, app, and dessert and a reserved table for that. Those without a reservation may be let in on a first come, first serve basis. This is being trialed July 11-Aug 11. You cannot make reservations past that date to this point.

I’ll go with my thoughts…

*we all know that first come/first served = never come cause you won’t get served at Disney in general
*$55 PER PERSON is insane. What about people that don’t drink? 2/3 in my family doesn’t and won’t drink sugar laden “mocktails” either
*at 9 pm we have already had an expensive Disney dinner…..last thing we want is an app!

I have defended Disney on a lot of the nickel and dime comments but this I can’t…..

I realize some don’t like it but to be honest, we booked and we are excited. It is worth it for us and allows us to go and enjoy the night without worrying that we will be shut out since we only had one night of our three night trip to go to TOTWL without it being a hassle.

We are now planning our day for meals around it.

And if it is still going on in December, we will book again.

Sorry.

My thoughts on this are, if I’m ok paying $55 for this, I might as well spend the extra $34 and go for dinner at California Grill. We’re going to be staying at BLT over New Years and marathon weekend, so we’ll try to get up to the lounge, but I’m not willing to spend that much money to guarantee it.
I have no issues with them offering it though. It’s really no different than the multiple other firework parties offered.

I will admit that I was taken aback a bit at first, but then thought about it in context to what we have paid for Seats and Treats dessert parties in the MK. For about double what this is going to cost you get a spread of pretty cheap, basic desserts - though unlimited - and some really crappy wine and cheap beer - again unlimited, but :crazy2: . Yet we've paid it a couple of times just to have a seated view out of the fray for the fireworks.

Here, the cocktails look really good and reviews from the preview night were pretty good on the food. If this is still offered over Labor Day weekend, we will be trying to book it. The night we have in mind we currently have dinner reservations at Steakhouse 71, so I decided to book a late lunch reservation there in addition. It we are able to grab a Wicked Wind Down reservation, I'll drop the Steakhouse dinner ADR. Apps and cocktails with a small dessert and a view of the fireworks sounds just about right after a large, late lunch!

I do understand that if you don't drink alcohol that this would be a major bummer. But honestly it's not much different than any of the firework packages that include alcohol. The food you get is never going to be worth it without the adult beverages. You have to decide if the view of the fireworks is worth the cost. But, still, I do understand the disappointment.

Last edited:
I think that price is a steal, especially compared to the other rates they charge for fireworks. As mentioned above, Disney doesn’t really cater their packages to alcohol drinkers versus non-drinkers. The preparty for my family cost $300+ for two adults and two kids. For some it’s worth it, for others it isn’t. This isn’t a nickel-and-dime you situation. This is Disney giving members another unique opportunity to do something special. If it’s not worth it, stand in Main Street and enjoy the show!

There's a lot of room on the deck, even when they reserve a portion of it for lounge patrons. I am not all that interested in the lounge. I just want to watch the fireworks from the deck. Nothing has really been said ( officially) if that's an option or not. Perhaps the FCFS until capacity is reached refers to the non-lounge area. No good reason they couldn't allow any DVC Member into that area. Pre-covid, it was never even close to full when we were there -maybe 30 people, max.

It will all be interesting to see everyone’s thoughts as the reviews roll in. Pens Fan brought up an interesting idea. Perhaps more people will skip that dining reservation and do this instead which in the long run actually is a loss to Disney but I doubt that will be enough people.

We have done Seats and Treats and I did think to compare it to that. We are staying at BLT starting on the 14th so just outside this reservation window. Ill be watching to see what everyone thinks. Also will likely test out the FCFS situation as our room will most likely have a fireworks view anyway

I was just thinking that, if it’s offered in November, this is something my family of 4 would enjoy. Obviously the kids wouldn’t be drinking but it would be a good way for us to watch the fireworks on a weekend without going to MK and dealing with the crowds. It’s less than we spent on the pre-party in January.

Last edited:
I see this as just reduced capacity for anyone not willing to pay to play. If this is popular, you can count on Disney dedicating even more space to the reserved tables and fireworks viewing. In Disney's perfect world, the lounge is exclusively for people paying the money to attend. Perhaps even opening it up to non-DVC members for the right price.

So I just called and reserved this for August 11 (the last night), as we were planning on doing AK in the evening and since it closes at 7 it sounded like something else we could do for the night. First of all, it's actually $66 per person, including tax as the CM said. I said that's a hefty tax rate then, at 20%. He said "including taxes and service fees." :( Also it's definitely the same price per person, even though we have children that won't be drinking. As someone earlier on pointed out though, it's much cheaper than the fireworks packages in the park (though further away from the castle, so it should be less) and sounds like better food and drink options. So we'll still give it a shot. However, I asked him if we would be able to visit TOTWL if we didn't have this reservation, and he said no, that's it's a special event and after August 11 when it ends, then members could visit first come first serve. So I asked if you don't have a reservation for Wicket Wind Down, you won't be able to go up there, and he said yes. I think he is wrong though, as I see this on the DVC website regarding WWD:

Eligible Members with access to Membership Extras—who are staying at a Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort using their Membership—can book this add-on to their Top of the World Lounge plans daily excluding holidays, and special events.

So I just called and reserved this for August 11 (the last night), as we were planning on doing AK in the evening and since it closes at 7 it sounded like something else we could do for the night. First of all, it's actually $66 per person, including tax as the CM said. I said that's a hefty tax rate then, at 20%. He said "including taxes and service fees." :( Also it's definitely the same price per person, even though we have children that won't be drinking. As someone earlier on pointed out though, it's much cheaper than the fireworks packages in the park (though further away from the castle, so it should be less) and sounds like better food and drink options. So we'll still give it a shot. However, I asked him if we would be able to visit TOTWL if we didn't have this reservation, and he said no, that's it's a special event and after August 11 when it ends, then members could visit first come first serve. So I asked if you don't have a reservation for Wicket Wind Down, you won't be able to go up there, and he said yes. I think he is wrong though, as I see this on the DVC website regarding WWD:

Eligible Members with access to Membership Extras—who are staying at a Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort using their Membership—can book this add-on to their Top of the World Lounge plans daily excluding holidays, and special events.
Hmmmm…..OK, So I will be the unofficial after the window tester for getting in as we START on 8/14 but we are staying at BLT and already have great dining reservations and MNSSHP for every night already planned. Our room is very likely to be fireworks view as even though we booked lake there are really only 2 2 bed lock offs that are wheelchair accessible and they are both fireworks view. So I am totally fine to go up and see how easy it is to get in and then go back to our room if turned away. I have a super bougie Charcuterie board and custom cake coming to the room anyway hahaha

I think you were told it wrong as well because I asked the same question and was told that yes, those who are not doing this add on would still be allowed up...it is why they want us there at least 30 minutes before fireworks.

And, I expected the $66 as that includes the tax and gratuity...

I think you were told it wrong as well because I asked the same question and was told that yes, those who are not doing this add on would still be allowed up...it is why they want us there at least 30 minutes before fireworks.

And, I expected the $66 as that includes the tax and gratuity...
Oh so the "service fee" is gratuity? I didn't expect that, as I figured gratuity would be left when we get the bill, but I'm ok with that if it's already included.

I will admit that I was taken aback a bit at first, but then thought about it in context to what we have paid for Seats and Treats dessert parties in the MK. For about double what this is going to cost you get a spread of pretty cheap, basic desserts - though unlimited - and some really crappy wine and cheap beer - again unlimited, but :crazy2: . Yet we've paid it a couple of times just to have a seated view out of the fray for the fireworks.

Here, the cocktails look really good and reviews from the preview night were pretty good on the food. If this is still offered over Labor Day weekend, we will be trying to book it. The night we have in mind we currently have dinner reservations at Steakhouse 71, so I decided to book a late lunch reservation there in addition. It we are able to grab a Wicked Wind Down reservation, I'll drop the Steakhouse dinner ADR. Apps and cocktails with a small dessert and a view of the fireworks sounds just about right after a large, late lunch!

I do understand that if you don't drink alcohol that this would be a major bummer. But honestly it's not much different than any of the firework packages that include alcohol. The food you get is never going to be worth it without the adult beverages. You have to decide if the view of the fireworks is worth the cost. But, still, I do understand the disappointment.

This :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter