Wife has Ophidiophobia, places to avoid?

twincruisers

I love it when a plan comes together
So my wife is deathly afraid of snakes and since this is our anniversary trip to WDW, I’d like to know where to avoid so she can have a fun and relaxing time.

I’m not worried about wild snakes roaming the park, but any live areas of the park (like Rafiki’s) or virtual (jungle cruise expectantly) would be good to know so I can at least steer her away from having a bad time. I saw the old thread already but looking for a 2021 update would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance, as the say “Happy wife. Happy life”!

Last edited:
I am also very afraid of snakes. I avoid Rafiki’s in AK. There is also a snake in one of the animal viewing areas near the safari. Its been awhile since I’ve been there, might be the bat exhibit. I just remember looking at a viewing area, turning around and seeing one in a cage.

Yes, Jungle Cruise has animatronic snakes (one on a branch, many in the temple/tunnel) but those are the only ones I can think of? No snakes on Spaceship Earth, are there?

We saw quite a few snakes last month just around our resort (BCV) and the International Gateway. None bigger than a foot but there were more than we've ever seen before in late summer.

In March 2020, we saw a really large (stretched from one side of the walkway to the other) snake at ASMu, near the pool.
Lots of them in varying sizes at WL and they made no attempt to avoid people. Loved the resort, but DD21 has no desire to return because it was "too snakey".

I am also very afraid of snakes. I avoid Rafiki’s in AK. There is also a snake in one of the animal viewing areas near the safari. Its been awhile since I’ve been there, might be the bat exhibit. I just remember looking at a viewing area, turning around and seeing one in a cage.

Yes, when you do the Gorilla Falls Exploration trail, there are one or two little buildings that you walk through. They have small displays along the walls. I think one or more of those displays might have snakes. If you really want to see the gorillas, then plan to just walk in, walk straight ahead, and walk out the other door. Don't walk around the room to see what's in the displays. (Someone who has been there recently can probably give you more specific details.)

For people staying at Beach Club Villas, there is a shortcut which takes you out to the path to Epcot, without having to walk into the main Beach Club building. I don't recall seeing a snake out there, but it feels like you could see one at any moment. If I were afraid of snakes, I would not take that shortcut.

I feel like pirates might have animatronic snakes???? I could be wrong.

I feel like pirates might have animatronic snakes???? I could be wrong.
I just watched a ride video and didn't see any. You are safe. There aren't that many fake snakes thankfully at Disney.
There could be rubber snakes at some of the gift shops in AK and I would suspect at Indiana Jones area in HS.

My husband and I hate snakes. That being said we have seen them at the International Gateway at EPCOT, Tom Sawyer's Island bridge,
Beach Club, Polynesian and Carribean Beach Resort. We do keep our eyes open at all times!

There are (animatronic in most cases) snakes, based on my pre-pandemic experience/memory, this is not a complete list…

MK, at: BTMRR (although you might not notice if you aren’t looking for them); small world (unless they’ve removed the snake charmer scene); Railroad and Frontierland shooting gallery [I think both COVID-closed right now]; jungle cruise (as you said); cartoon eels in Philharmagic; eels in Little Mermaid ride.

Epcot: living with the land (eels in the tanks sometimes). Plus the rainforest seen feels snakey; snake symbols in Spaceship Earth.

DHS: Indiana Jones Stunt Show.

AK: reptile house on Gorilla Falls walking trail; Na’vi boat ride feels snakey, but extraterrestrial crawling things probably are not snakes. 🤔; Rafiki/Conservation Station.

My mom is the same. If she’s at a Disney resort, she’ll do the snake stomp back to the room. She learned that at the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine. Supposedly the snakes feel the vibration and think a predator is coming so they get out of the way.

She once clawed my husband’s arm while we were watching Honey I Shrunk the Audience. That attraction is long gone.

Are there still handlers with critters on display at the entrance to AK, or is that gone since covid? If you see any CMs there with small boxes/cages in their hands, you should probably give it a sneak peek before her, just in case. I always have one of the kids look first, in case one day they think it’s cute to bring out some damned giant tarantula and make me make a fool of myself….🙄 (and yes I dont love the JC queue but at least I know that ones fake)

But yeah, DH is NOT a snake guy either, so we’re pretty “aware,” and I think they’ve all been listed here. Now if you ever go to DL, beware of the Indiana Jobes ride….

Where are you staying? I've seen them in the wild on every single trip when staying at the Grand Floridian or Polynesian. In fact we saw at least 5 while walking the GF to MK trail! Most were simply sunning themselves but it would be a living nightmare for your wife.

Yes, when you do the Gorilla Falls Exploration trail, there are one or two little buildings that you walk through. They have small displays along the walls. I think one or more of those displays might have snakes. If you really want to see the gorillas, then plan to just walk in, walk straight ahead, and walk out the other door. Don't walk around the room to see what's in the displays. (Someone who has been there recently can probably give you more specific details.)

As someone who has been fairly recently, that is spot-on advice. Walk in (you have to, there's no way around it) and just walk straight forward to the exit.

We appreciate everyone's input. We're staying at Contemporary, Dolphin, and AKL as a forced split stay.

Having come from DLR we are comfortable with Jungle Cruise and BTMRR as we know they are coming and she can look away at the right times. It's the new areas like AK that we are trying to avoid surprises. Eels aren't too bad but if they jump out those will not be a good trigger (we scuba dive so things like Moray Eels aren't too bad).

I am the same way (can't even see cartoon ones). In all my trips I have only ever seen ONE in the wild. It was in Epcot, and thankfully a group many feet ahead of us saw it first, and their screams alerted me to veer off in another direction. I think my phobia has made me 'blind' to them if that makes sense. It is my greatest fear when we go (even them being in the room) but I know that going in, so I 'expect' to see them, and am happy when we don't.

Keep an eye out for the new daytime show at Animal Kingdom. It's supposed to use kites and puppets, I believe, and they already mentioned that there will be Jungle Book characters. Who knows if Kaa (the snake) might make an appearance? That show is also out on the lake in front of Everest, and depending on the sight lines it might be visible to people outside the amphitheater. It's not out yet so I have no idea what it's whole deal might be.

And if Fantasmic ever appears again there is a HUGE one in the show. A quick Google search says the DLR version had Kaa but Hollywood Studios had Jafar in snake form, and looking at the pictures it looks like the WDW is much, much creepier. Right now there is no announcement about it coming back, but depending on when you visit keep an eye out for it. If it's back in it's full form whenever you visit it might just be worth skipping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter