Wifi and accessing email on the Magic

plasmo

Earning My Ears
Sailing in March 2022 on the Magic.
I know I'm on vacation, but I will be expecting some important emails during our time at sea, and wanted to make sure I would be able to access emails.
I haven't sailed Disney for 10 years, and was wondering what type of internet connection options are available (just to check standard email and to access some occasional basic websites). I know previously I had to purchase data plans but was wondering if things were different now. Thanks!

It’s still the same as you remember. They give you 50 free MB to start with. Enough to maybe check some emails. I can’t remember the costs beyond that. But I do know when I looked it was pretty pricey for the amount you get.

The 50 free MB requires you to sign up for it the first day and can be used throughout the cruise. Turn off all your auto updates first or you'll blow thru the 50mb before you even try to use it.

I know the 1,000 mb is $89 or you can do $0.25 per mb, but I don't remember the other 2. The 50 free that jon185 mentioned has to activated the first day.

I use a Verizon phone and I have some option on our plan where when we are at just about any port, I just change it from airplane mode, turn off wifi, and for $10 per 24 hour period, I can use it just like I'm at home (full internet, calls, etc.). For the 'at sea' days, I buy a package. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the cost.

repeating some of what others have said:

Make sure you do this on the first day on board. In the DCL app, tap on “more” and then “connect at sea”. There will be a WiFi package with 50 mb for free, first day only. Any and every one in your room with a smart phone and an email address can sign up for this package.

Cost for other packages (as of November 2021) is attached.

In Nassau or on Castaway Cay, if your cell phone plan has “International Day Pass” you can get unlimited service while in port for $10/day. Service while in Nassau was spotty when we were there in November. I have an AT&T plan and my phone was alternating between BTC and AVIL. Both were included in my International Day Pass. Service at Castaway Cay was pretty bad. I’ve heard there is a cell tower down and that’s the reason. Whatever it is, do not count on it for anything important until things are repaired and you hear reports that service has improved.

Also, iMessage works for free on board, so if you can use that instead of email that's a cheaper alternative.

Attachments

• DCL WiFi packages.png
    DCL WiFi packages.png
    98 KB · Views: 30
We were at Castaway in December and I think it wasn’t working well. We were at Castaway last week, I used my $10 Verizon plan and it was perfect.

The 50 free MB requires you to sign up for it the first day and can be used throughout the cruise. Turn off all your auto updates first or you'll blow thru the 50mb before you even try to use it.
Thanks for the info everyone. I assume that the free 50MB is per stateroom, and not per person, right?
Do you sign up for the free 50mb thru the disney cruise app, and does it tell you how much of the 50mb you have used up? thanks.

Thanks for the info everyone. I assume that the free 50MB is per stateroom, and not per person, right?
Do you sign up for the free 50mb thru the disney cruise app, and does it tell you how much of the 50mb you have used up? thanks.
Per device as long as they are on separate email addresses. Yes it gives you a meter that shows usage when you log off/on. It is not through the app, but a separate account.

Last edited:
Sorry this is all new information for me, is the 50 mb free after you buy an data package, or just free? I have T Mobile so I am not overly concerned as I can just use my phone in ports as normal.

repeating some of what others have said:

Make sure you do this on the first day on board. In the DCL app, tap on “more” and then “connect at sea”. There will be a WiFi package with 50 mb for free, first day only. Any and every one in your room with a smart phone and an email address can sign up for this package.

Cost for other packages (as of November 2021) is attached.

In Nassau or on Castaway Cay, if your cell phone plan has “International Day Pass” you can get unlimited service while in port for $10/day. Service while in Nassau was spotty when we were there in November. I have an AT&T plan and my phone was alternating between BTC and AVIL. Both were included in my International Day Pass. Service at Castaway Cay was pretty bad. I’ve heard there is a cell tower down and that’s the reason. Whatever it is, do not count on it for anything important until things are repaired and you hear reports that service has improved.

Also, iMessage works for free on board, so if you can use that instead of email that's a cheaper alternative.

How do you get iMessage to work for free on board? We noticed our kids' iMessage was working, but mine was not. They were also getting snapchat and instagram notifications (but could not see what was in the messages). I was not getting anything at all. We were all connected to the ship wifi the same way, and we did not register for or buy a package.

If you sign up on embarkation day, it's 50mb free. A plan unto itself. You can then choose to purchase a plan, if your 50mb runs out.

Thanks for this info. Is this free plan something that is "well advertised" for people to sign-up for, or is this something that is easily missed? I want to make sure I don't miss this. thanks

How do you get iMessage to work for free on board? We noticed our kids' iMessage was working, but mine was not. They were also getting snapchat and instagram notifications (but could not see what was in the messages). I was not getting anything at all. We were all connected to the ship wifi the same way, and we did not register for or buy a package.

It should have just worked, mine has every time on board. Were you texting with someone else with an iPhone?

You do get notifications as well but can only access the object of the notification by using the WiFi package.

Thanks for this info. Is this free plan something that is "well advertised" for people to sign-up for, or is this something that is easily missed? I want to make sure I don't miss this. thanks

I'd say it's not as well advertised now as it used to be, since they don't give out paper Navigators any longer. Just set a reminder on your phone for some time after dinner on the first day to remind you to go look for it in the app.

It should have just worked, mine has every time on board. Were you texting with someone else with an iPhone?

You do get notifications as well but can only access the object of the notification by using the WiFi package.

i got zero notifications and zero imessages. My kids could text each other but could not text me.

i got zero notifications and zero imessages. My kids could text each other but could not text me.

Only possible thing I can think of is I had heard that people who hadn't done software updates on their phone had some issues, but I don't know the details or how true those claims are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter