WiFi questions

fredandkell

I'd rather be cruising
Ok y’all I haven’t cruised DCL since Bermuda 2019. Am on 7 day Fantasy Eastern next spring.

Two questions:
1. Does DCL still give you a bit of free WiFi on day 1, like 1 MB or something? I forget how that works but I have a vague memory of it.
2. Are iMessages still free to send on the ship?

Thanks!

1. They are rolling out new wi-fi, which the Fantasy does have. There are no freebies with the new system as it is day-based and not usage-based.
2. People have reported iMessage still works gratis on the new wi-fi system.

1. They are rolling out new wi-fi, which the Fantasy does have. There are no freebies with the new system as it is day-based and not usage-based.
2. People have reported iMessage still works gratis on the new wi-fi system.
Thanks! Do you happen to know the costs for the new day based model?

So, does anyone (expert IT people, etc) Know if the ATT cruise plan is good? I know it costs $100 for a month of usage. (Don't know WHY you need 30 days of it!) OR, to use the "supreme plan" on the DCL? I would like to FT or at least call the family once/twice and message/call them 1-2 times. We get 100MB being concierge, but I have heard that is like 10 minutes of web surfing/etc.. Not much.. Need help as have not been cruising in 20 years, and a lot has changed....

Thanks!!

On a 7 day western Caribbean on the Fantasy in December, iMessage worked until Thursday. Had to use a 2nd phone for the other 2 days. Not sure why it stopped working I was able to message people back home, my vet. Did not try to message anyone on the ship.

I’d be careful with a “cruise” plan. Probably very low limits to what you can do. I used my Verizon Day Plan $10 - in Ports but not actually while the ship was moving.

Boarded the dream today in Copenhagen prices did go up now $14/28/42 for a day for the packages. Signed up for 7 day packages for 2 devices at $438. Works very well. Was able to do a zoom call with audio from my laptop in the stateroom.
Does it require you to buy all 7 days? Or can you buy say a day here, a day there?

Does iMessage work only on the ship, or would it reach people at home?
iMessage works for anyone using iMessage, regardless of their location. I was able to use iMessage to chat with friends and family back at home as well as my partner who was on the ship with me. The only limitation was that it works for text only. You will not be able to send/receive media (pictures, videos) while using iMessage through the free WiFi.

When you use imessage is your phone in airplane mode?
Yes. Don't ever turn airplane mode off unless you're in port trying to connect to the local telecom! I got a terrible nasty-gram from Sprint a few cruises ago that I was in danger of being charge satellite roaming or something crazy like that because I forgot to enable airplane mode after the sailaway party.

You turn on airplane mode and then enable wi-fi.

Yes. Don't ever turn airplane mode off unless you're in port trying to connect to the local telecom! I got a terrible nasty-gram from Sprint a few cruises ago that I was in danger of being charge satellite roaming or something crazy like that because I forgot to enable airplane mode after the sailaway party.

You turn on airplane mode and then enable wi-fi.
Thank you!!

Boarded the dream today in Copenhagen prices did go up now $14/28/42 for a day for the packages. Signed up for 7 day packages for 2 devices at $438. Works very well. Was able to do a zoom call with audio from my laptop in the stateroom.
Perhaps the European cruises are slightly cheaper or it depends on the route, just got off the Fantasy (Eastern Caribbean) and it was $18 per day for the basic and I think the middle one was $30ish. Top one was still $42

Perhaps the European cruises are slightly cheaper or it depends on the route, just got off the Fantasy (Eastern Caribbean) and it was $18 per day for the basic and I think the middle one was $30ish. Top one was still $42
Is that per device? Or per stateroom? Like, for $18/day can all 4 people in the room use 4 devices for $18 total, or are they paying $18 each?

Is that per device? Or per stateroom? Like, for $18/day can all 4 people in the room use 4 devices for $18 total, or are they paying $18 each?
Whatever the quoted rate happens to be, it is for a single device being used At any given time. The account can be shared, but no simultaneous use permitted, so the first user must logoff in order for second user to logon. In fact, I seem to remember that if I tried to logon while DW was still connected, I was asked if the system should disconnect the other user.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter