WIFI use passenger to passenger

anita46

DIS Veteran
We plan to leave our phones in airplane mode (its only a 4 day cruise)

But now, I think we may need our phones to coordinate between ourselves on the ship.

Will a WIFI package cover this?
Do I need a package if its "local"?

Sorry but I dont get a lot of the discussion about the plans. Speak slowly....o_O

Will appreciate any recommendations

Just got off the wish. I Put my phone in airplane mode, connected to Dcl-guest WiFi and did not pay a single penny for internet connection. Only used the free stuff.

I was able to communicate with my wife using iMessage on our phones as well as the navigator app chat feature.

Also able to use iMessage to chat with our sons back on dry land in the USA!!!

Yes left my in airplane mode the whole time. I have an apple so yes you can iMessage still just can not sent pictures.

Using the Disney app you can chat with your whole party. You have to set it up once on there wifi. Can do this in the terminal.

Yes left my in airplane mode the whole time. I have an apple so yes you can iMessage still just can not sent pictures.

Using the Disney app you can chat with your whole party. You have to set it up once on there wifi. Can do this in the terminal.
Great call out that can’t send pics or videos only text messages but that is good enough for ship conversations

Reactions: NAB
iMessage also work with the free in-flight Wi-Fi provided by Southwest airlines. You just need to enable iMessage texting via checking terms and services on the in-flight web page.

-Paul

We’ve been using iMessage since 2019 cruises. It works pretty good. We use it to contact folks at home.

Does anyone know if AT&T wifi calling works on the Wish with any if the ship WIfi plans?

Just got off the wish. I Put my phone in airplane mode, connected to Dcl-guest WiFi and did not pay a single penny for internet connection. Only used the free stuff.

I was able to communicate with my wife using iMessage on our phones as well as the navigator app chat feature.

Also able to use iMessage to chat with our sons back on dry land in the USA!!!
My iMessage always ends up signing out, not sure why. But whatsapp has worked fine for me.

Has WhatsApp worked using only the free ship wifi? Or does it require a paid internet package?

It’s worked for free for me on the fantasy and the wish so far since the new internet packages came out and I’ll be on the dream on Dec so I’ll report back then too

That’s great that we can use iMessage to communicate with ppl on land. Does the person on land need to have an iPhone, or can they have, say, a Samsung.

That’s great that we can use iMessage to communicate with ppl on land. Does the person on land need to have an iPhone, or can they have, say, a Samsung.
They would need an iPhone otherwise it’s a regular text message which would either require cell service or one of the higher Wi-Fi pantages and having Wi-Fi calling turned on.

Looks like Android phones (should include Samsung) can install an app on their phone to handle iMessage texts.

Maybe it’s not even that complicated. Perhaps they just need text privileges included in their phone package - like talk and text, pretty standard these days.

Do you text these same people currently (when you are on land)?

Whatsapp can be installed on iPhones and Android and works on the ships without a package. So if the person on the ship and the person on land install it, they could communicate even if they have different devices. It is easier than trying to get imessage apps working on Android (which requires a personal server running something if I remember right).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter