Wiggles Fans... documentary

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
Not sure how many of you watched the Wiggles with your kids but there's a documentary on Amazon Prime if you are interested. It's over 90 minutes, but was interesting. Talked about their beginnings and through all of the changes. Our kids out grew them while the original four were still performing, actually got to see two of their shows.

Toot, Toot, Chugga, Chugga! Big Red Car. Is on the same earworm scale as It's a Small World.

In the very beginning of their fame they came to the Mall of Georgia and performed in the food court. My wife took my daughter who was very much a fan.

In the very beginning of their fame they came to the Mall of Georgia and performed in the food court. My wife took my daughter who was very much a fan.
We first saw them in Louisville with our oldest (I think she was around 4-5 at the time). We had visions of her singing and dancing. Nope, she just stared at them the entire concert. Like she was in awe that she could see them in person. I think she danced for the last song. They left the stage and she cried.

We saw them ~4 years later in Cincinnati with her younger brother and the kids had more fun.

Been meaning to watch that..

Not sure how many of you watched the Wiggles with your kids but there's a documentary on Amazon Prime if you are interested. It's over 90 minutes, but was interesting. Talked about their beginnings and through all of the changes. Our kids out grew them while the original four were still performing, actually got to see two of their shows.
The original wiggles still out there sometimes
I did see this reunion concert which is sort of weird- all these adults really getting into it.

At my kids 21st party I took over the music to mess with him and started playing the wiggles and they all got into it.

I really liked the Wiggles when my sister's kids were little and watched them. A couple of years ago they covered Tame Impala's Elephant for Like A Verson:

With a little bit of Fruit Salad thrown in for good measure, LoL. I admit to having this song on my phone.

It's a great documentary if the Wiggles were ever part of your family entertainment life. I had almost no knowledge that they are continuing to perform with mostly new members. I did know a bit about Greg's health issues when he was unavailable for a concert we went to 15-20 years ago, but I knew nothing of other health and personal issues other members have had.

Wow, wish I had Amazon Prime. My dd loved the wiggles. We went to a couple of their concerts. She was obsessed with Jeff. LOL.

I remember the uproar when they replaced the yellow wiggle due to illness, then the original yellow wiggle (Greg) came back so they got rid of the replacement yellow wiggle. They also had a girl wiggle, not sure if she is still with them, but I think she married the blue wiggle. That's around the time my kids out grew them so I don't know what happened.LOL

Before the Wiggles, they were The Cockroaches and they played at our high school 😂

Emma (yellow) did marry Lachlan (purple) however they divorced fairly soon after. Emma left the Wiggles to form her own production but was replaced by two young women, Tsehay and Evie.

I never figured out why The Wiggles became so popular and how they became huge. Because when you are in children's music and you're a children's music artist you get all the fame and fortune because children's music is an easy genre to begin with. But like Imagination Movers Johnny And The Sprites and Dan Zanes The Wiggles actually made their American debut on Disney Junior back when it was known as Playhouse Disney and based on their success for Disney The Wiggles became big celebrities in America by having merchandise such as CDs videos a computer game and toys such as Halloween costumes pretend musical instruments and plush dolls and by appearing in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2006 and the CBS sitcom Yes Dear and even did an episode featuring the late Steve Irwin and based on that alone made The Wiggles popular than ever. But when The Wiggles popularity started to wane was when Greg left The Wiggles and when Greg left The Wiggles it hurt a lot of fans and I think that's why they split. But my cousin took her son to see The Wiggles when he was an infant and he really loved their concert and my uncle even liked The Wiggles too. But when you are an children's music artist or band Disney Junior is your ticket to fame. Another children's band that Disney hyped a lot like The Wiggles was The Doodlebops and like The Wiggles The Doodlebops had their own show on Disney Junior but now you don't hear about The Doodlebops anymore and look at Choo Choo Soul that also got started on Disney Junior that also gained a show and music CDs and it proves it that when a children's music artist wants fame they go to Disney Junior and they get a deal for their own shows and concerts. Which is why I think The Wiggles chose Disney to get their fame in America and Disney sure gave them a huge deal to help market them to American preschoolers because that's what was selling big at the time

I never figured out why The Wiggles became so popular and how they became huge. Because when you are in children's music and you're a children's music artist you get all the fame and fortune because children's music is an easy genre to begin with. But like Imagination Movers Johnny And The Sprites and Dan Zanes The Wiggles actually made their American debut on Disney Junior back when it was known as Playhouse Disney and based on their success for Disney The Wiggles became big celebrities in America by having merchandise such as CDs videos a computer game and toys such as Halloween costumes pretend musical instruments and plush dolls and by appearing in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2006 and the CBS sitcom Yes Dear and even did an episode featuring the late Steve Irwin and based on that alone made The Wiggles popular than ever. But when The Wiggles popularity started to wane was when Greg left The Wiggles and when Greg left The Wiggles it hurt a lot of fans and I think that's why they split. But my cousin took her son to see The Wiggles when he was an infant and he really loved their concert and my uncle even liked The Wiggles too. But when you are an children's music artist or band Disney Junior is your ticket to fame. Another children's band that Disney hyped a lot like The Wiggles was The Doodlebops and like The Wiggles The Doodlebops had their own show on Disney Junior but now you don't hear about The Doodlebops anymore and look at Choo Choo Soul that also got started on Disney Junior that also gained a show and music CDs and it proves it that when a children's music artist wants fame they go to Disney Junior and they get a deal for their own shows and concerts. Which is why I think The Wiggles chose Disney to get their fame in America and Disney sure gave them a huge deal to help market them to American preschoolers because that's what was selling big at the time
Actually The Wiggles got their American start via Barney. Disney came later. They became popular because they appealed to kids. They were (all?) trained in early childhood education and that helped.

And if you look at what you wrote, "children's music is an easy genre to begin with", but then go to list groups/shows you don't hear about any more (Doodlebops & Choo Choo Soul). We watched the Doodlebops too. They were OK, but the Wiggles were SO much better.

And they were SUPER popular in Australia, WELL before hooking up with Disney.

Sorry DodgerGirl, you are wrong - The Wiggles didn’t need the US market. They were massive hits before they got to the US - they knew their preschool market inside and out due to their training.

There are very few bands who appeal to such a wide range of ages, as seen by the popularity of their adults only concerts held recently and for such a long time period.

Sorry DodgerGirl, you are wrong - The Wiggles didn’t need the US market. They were massive hits before they got to the US - they knew their preschool market inside and out due to their training.

There are very few bands who appeal to such a wide range of ages, as seen by the popularity of their adults only concerts held recently and for such a long time period.
Yeah but I am sure it made them a lot more money.
Being big in Australia and being big in the US is night and day IMO.

For example winning multiple Aria's in Australia means next to nothing in the scheme of things.
I have family in Perth that have never even heard of a band that won best rock Album multiple years also best rock group. I told them I was going to see them for the third time in the US and they had no idea who they were

They are in the music industry - they are in bands that play rock as well as Irish music pretty much every night. It boggles my mind. But I guess the ARIA is not like winning a Grammy.

The US is such a larger market - like 12 times larger - its a just a lot more money and fame - for better or worse.

Also as a side note - I recall my niece that was a teacher in Australia - mocking the wiggles and not liking them all that much early on. Of course now its a different story. Same with Steve Iriwin TBH. Now a lot of revisionist history when it comes to both of them. I give them both a lot of credit for doing a lot of good things.

Side Note - I actually own one of Steve's cameras that is autographed by him. Picked it up at a charity auction for $300 way back when. The camera itself was worth at least $1500 US back then (3ccd Sony - but it was a PAL camera) - but no one was interested in it.

I loved this documentary! We saw them in concert many years ago and I loved it just as much as the kids. I loved their energy and positivity. They were early childhood teachers and understood children.

I'd love to see this but we don't have Amazon Prime. My kids loved them...especially my almost 21 year old. We had several CDs, DVDs and saw them in concert three times over the years. Here's a pic from 19 years ago:

Attachments

• 2004 - 10.30 - Wiggles04.JPG
    2004 - 10.30 - Wiggles04.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter