• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wii for Christmas, what all do I need to get?

tycopj

Mouseketeer
I need your help. WE have decided to get the Wii for our DD 12 and DS 7 for Christmas. I know the price was recently reduced for the console so that is good news. If you guys can explain the whole Wii system and parts required/needed/wanted I would really appreciate it! :goodvibes

I don't know what all to get. I don't want to go totally overboard, but I want it to be a "good" group of stuff. This will be their big gift! Like I said DD will be 12 and DS will be 7.

I'm sure I want to get the Wii Fit, what would I need with that? Are there games that come with it or are those separate?

The kids have friends over a lot, so I'm wondering if I need extra remotes?

I have heard about a charger? I'm not sure what it is and if we need it?

I've seen the "steering wheel" at the stores, is it needed and does it come with games?

Guitar hero is something I think my kids would like too. If you buy the guitar, does it come with everything that is needed?

I'm also wondering if I should wait for a bundle closer to the holidays. I know bundles can be a better price, but do they usually come with stuff you don't need?

I guess i need opinions on games as well.

Sorry for all the questions, it just seems overwhelming when I look around. I know the kids will be thrilled with the just Wii, but I want to get as much as possible for Christmas because we don't buy much throughout the rest of the year.

Thanks in advance! I do appreciate your help. :)

I bought my Wii off of ebay when it first came out and my Wii board and game too! I got it lower for what I would have paid retail plus I got the receipt with it so I could return it or exchange it if there was a problem.

The system comes with one controller. You need to buy Wii Sports to get a second controller that comes with the game. The Wii fit comes with its own game but now there is a second Wii Fit game that comes with different attachments but you use the same Fit board.

A charger is a must! Try to buy one that will let you dock more than one remote at a time. There are kits you can buy with the accessories like the steering wheel which you use for "Super Mario Cart" or dance pads you use on the floor for Dance Dance Revolution (which they have a Disney one out that comes with a pad)

Some of our favorite games are:Animal Crossing, Super Mario Cart, Sports(which has tennis, baseball, bowling etc), Super Smash Bros. etc,
plus I bought Wii Resort for Christmas... shhh!

Guitar Hero comes in a bundle with a guitar for around $89.00.

Hope this helps!

We don't use a charger but rechargable batteries for the Wii, look for the 15 minute kind and charger.

amazon has the Energizer one for $28.98, it charges 4 batteries at a time, ours only does 2 but I only paid $10 on clearance at Target so no complaints.

Another Vote for Animal Crossing, other good games for children the age of yours would be the Sonic games, Spongebob games are great fun too.

Any gamecube game will also play on the Wii.

I would suggest silicon controller skins in different colors it helps to hold onto the controller and keeps them separate. Each child has their own color. I found ours at the Dollar Tree.

Also you might want at least a 1 gig SD card, any SD card will do do not need to buy the nintendo one. BigLots has a 2 gig for $8

I also got my Wii when it first came out and was actually traveling in Florida when I stopped in at Walmart and brought the Wii Fit. As the PP stated it comes with one controller. Each additional controller can be purchased for about $40 each. When I purchased Mario Kart the wheel was included. Honestly, its not really neccessary, but to get the feel of the game you need it (if you need more than more it can be purchased for about $10 each). Since I use Wii Fit a lot, I try to find games that uses the board: cheerleading Squad, Gold's Gym, Jillian Michaels and Wii Ski. We also love to play Price is Right, cooking mama and the new Toy Story is amazing as its in 3D! Happy Shopping!

We don't have Guitar Hero, so I can't comment on that. The console comes with the game Wii Sports.

I'm sure I want to get the Wii Fit, what would I need with that? Are there games that come with it or are those separate?
If you buy the Wii Fit Balance Board either the original Wii Fit game or the new Wii Fit Plus will come with it. That's all you need. There are other games that are compatible with the balance board also, but those are sold seperately.

The kids have friends over a lot, so I'm wondering if I need extra remotes?
You will definitely need extra remotes. The console only comes with one. You can buy Wii Play that comes with an original remote or I highly reccommend Wii Sports Resort, which comes with the a new MotionPlus remote. Some of the newer games will only work with the MotionPlus remote.

I have heard about a charger? I'm not sure what it is and if we need it?
A charger isn't nessesary, but the remotes do go through AA's quickly, if used alot, so it's probably a good idea.

I've seen the "steering wheel" at the stores, is it needed and does it come with games?
The steering wheel isn't needed to play the games, but we have found that for the racing games it's easier to steer. However, if two people are racing against each other and you only have one wheel, it's not a fair race. ;) We got ours free with MarioKart. I would say wait on the wheel to see if you really think you need it.

I'm also wondering if I should wait for a bundle closer to the holidays. I know bundles can be a better price, but do they usually come with stuff you don't need?
I've seen some great bundles on QVC in the past. That being said, I wouldn't wait too long. I could be wrong, but with the price drop their might be a big demand for Wii consoles again.

I guess i need opinions on games as well.
As I mentioned before Wii Sports Resort is one of our favorites.
Wii Play is another we play all the time.
If your kids are into the role playing games MySims is fun. I think there are a couple different versions now. We have the original.

We buy used games at gamestop. Then trade them in on something else in a few months once the kids beat them and don't want to play them anymore. They also have a savings card there for $15 and you save 10% on used games and get offers and special member only notices. :) We love our Wii.

Our favorites are Carnival Games and Mario Cart racing. I agree with the rechargable batteries for the Wiimote.

Bearshouse

This is what we're getting (keep in mind this is the "Santa" Christmas gift for our whole family)

* Wii console, which comes with 1 game, 1 nunchuck, and 1 Wii-mote

* Second nunchunk

* Wii Play (game) which comes with second Wii-mote

* Wii Fit Plus, which comes with the balance board

* Disney's Sing-it, just the game (no mic)

* Rock Band 2, comes with guitar, drums, and microphone

That gives us two of each of the basic controllers, a game for each of the kids, and the Wii Fit for me. I'm not worrying about batteries and a charger yet; if battery demand turns out to be too much for the recharagables I already have for my cameras and such, then I'll get another.

Metacritic is great for researching Wii games. They aggregate reviews from a whole bunch of websites and magazines and you can read what other people are saying about the games you're thinking about buying. It's definitely saved me from buying games that would have been a big waste of money.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/

OP here, thank you for all the information. It doesn't seem as overwhelming anymore. I guess I need to figure out how much I can/want to spend. The Wii and the fit plus will be about $280 (Costco) and I'm sure we need the Fit plus. The games mentioned sound great, my son talks about Mario kart, dd wants guitar hero, :confused3

Thanks again for the input. It does feel to have made the decision to get the Wii. I know it will be a lot of money, but I think it will be nicer than spending it on a lot of little things. They are going to be so excited :woohoo:

Thanks again

If you decide to go with Guitar Hero, you might want to spring for the bundle with 2 guitars. That way the kids can play at the same time. Otherwise they'll have to take turns and won't be able to do the competition mode.

Wii games are buy 2 get 1 free at Toys R Us this week. You could get Mario Kart, Wii Play (which comes with a Wiimote) and another $50 game for $100 total (plus tax). Wii Fit and Guitar Hero are also part of that sale (buy 3, get the lowest priced one free).

Wii accessories are also buy 2 get one free (like nunchucks, extra steering wheels, etc).

I finally bought a Wii for a house gift for Christmas. I know that I need a second remote, but do I really need a second nunchuck? I plan to go to TRU for the buy 2 get 1 free and I am trying to pick things with similiar prices for the best "deal"

Read the games to see if you need a second nunchuck. On the upper right corner of the back of each game, it will show a picture of a wiimote with a number on it and perhaps a picture of a nunchuck with a number on it. Those numbers indicate the maximum number of each item the game can use. If there is no number, it usually means one.

Wii Sports Resort does not come with a second Wiimote, it JUST comes with the Wiimotion attachment... you have to already have a wiimote to put it on. If you want a second Wiimote and want to count it as a game, you need Wii Play.

We're getting a wii for our house this christmas too! My only advice is don't let your hubby be alone in the game store with a credit card! That was my mistake! That video game loving man went crazy!! :rotfl:

Have fun with your wii! I know we can't wait for Christmas!!

Not the original poster, but also overwhelmed by the Wii options!:laughing:

Does everyone think that the Buy 2, Get 1 deal at Toys R Us is the best deal? I'm trying to decide if I should buy a few games now or wait until Black Friday and later? :surfweb:

I have two boys (8 and 6) and a little girl (just turned 3)who is going to want to play too, does anyone have any game recommendations for the littlest one? I think I'm definitely getting Toy Story Mania and Sports Resort for the boys, but I have no idea for her.

TIA!

$33.33 per $49.99 game is probably the best you'll do. You could do Toy Story Mania for the 3 year old and maybe Mario Kart for one of the older boys.

Read the games to see if you need a second nunchuck. On the upper right corner of the back of each game, it will show a picture of a wiimote with a number on it and perhaps a picture of a nunchuck with a number on it. Those numbers indicate the maximum number of each item the game can use. If there is no number, it usually means one.

Wii Sports Resort does not come with a second Wiimote, it JUST comes with the Wiimotion attachment... you have to already have a wiimote to put it on. If you want a second Wiimote and want to count it as a game, you need Wii Play.
Thanks for correcting me. I don't know what I was thinking. We got Sports Resort when it first came out and I forgot that it only came with the MotionPlus attachment and not an actual remote.

If you decide to go with Guitar Hero, you might want to spring for the bundle with 2 guitars. That way the kids can play at the same time. Otherwise they'll have to take turns and won't be able to do the competition mode.

or the bundle with the guitar, drums and mic and game.

you also may need a second wiiMotion if you buy a game that uses that they are around $20

Does everyone think that the Buy 2, Get 1 deal at Toys R Us is the best deal? I'm trying to decide if I should buy a few games now or wait until Black Friday and later? :surfweb:

I have two boys (8 and 6) and a little girl (just turned 3)who is going to want to play too, does anyone have any game recommendations for the littlest one? I think I'm definitely getting Toy Story Mania and Sports Resort for the boys, but I have no idea for her.

TIA!

for the 3 year old I think she would really like animal crossing once she got past the initial stage of paying back nook, she can decorate her house, fish, catch butterflies and bugs and grow flowers.

TIA!

If you want to check out the "black friday" deals go to www.black-friday.net and they will have most of the deals posted and if not they will be soon. I know a lot of them are already posted there and as it gets closer more will come.

With our Wii we go to Gamestop a lot or Entertainmart for used games. My kids trade in old ones and get new ones for a lot less than the retail price.

I second if you get Guitar Hero get the one with the second guitar or you can get a generic remote Wii guitar for about $25. If you get the silicon gloves you have to take them off in order to play Guitar Hero (which is a pain) because my kids take them off and on and now here lately they just stay off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter