• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wild Africa Trek vs. Wanyami Safari?

disneyyes

Mouseketeer
Wild Africa Trek or Wanyami Safari? Hi fellow WDW fans, ... if there is anyone out there who has done both of these experiences, would you recommend one over the other? I want to surprise DH, and I am not sure which to book. (we are staying at Animal Kingdom Villas) This is for a mid-February trip, if that makes a difference in the experience.

I would vote Wild Africa Trek. We did it in October 2013 and for us it was a great tour, we had great tour guides and a nice little lunch. I have never been so close to animals that could eat you in a heart beat. The guides took a ton of pics of us and we had the photo pass plus so we have some great shots. Very cool tour.

Oh yea, our tour was at 8:45am. Perfect time, not hot or cool....

Good luck with your choices.

Thanks, Bracho! Anyone else who experienced both of these tours willing to offer their opinion? TIA!

Wild Africa trek definitely.

The safari was cool being out there before others and with longer times in the truck. We had to wait for rhinos to move for a while and they were pretty close. But in some ways, it's not a unique experience.

The trk though was more fun. Back stage, walking over the crocs, checking out the hippos....the trek was unique, different than what you normally do or see.

Do you have to stay at animal kingdom to book these tours? If not how do I find out about them? We are going in April.

Thanks

Jane

They are so completely different.

Wanyama Safari is on the savannah at Animal Kingdom Lodge and pertains to the animals at the Lodge. It begins at 4:00 pm. You go out on a truck with guides and get a very up close view of the animals and the guides give you information about the animals and how they are cared for. It is finished with a very nice dinner at Jiko.

Wild Africa Trek is at the Animal Kingdom and part of it is a walking tour with a guide where you go over bridges, etc. Then you end up on the savannah in a truck and they go slower than the regular safari ride. They take you to a covered open air structure where you have a very light lunch. There are viewing areas where you can use binoculars. It can get very hot on this tour and really should be done as early as possible or during a time of the year where heat is not much of a concern.

I have done both and it is really hard to say which I prefer because I don't feel like either can really be compared to the other. You can only do the Wanyama Safari if you are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. If this would be your only stay at the Lodge for some time then I might choose the Wanyama Safari since you can be staying anywhere and still do the Wild Africa Trek.

The dinner at Jiko is a "Family" style dinner - It is very good - you eat the Chefs favorites but if you have "pigs" that don't seem to realize that the platter is for 4 to 5 people and take more than half it you might leave hungry.

The meal on the Wildlife Trek is small, but nice - you basically get the same sampling on the Safari at the Lodge. Which did I like better? I would say the Wanyama Safari - got much more up close to the animals.

The dinner at Jiko is a "Family" style dinner - It is very good - you eat the Chefs favorites but if you have "pigs" that don't seem to realize that the platter is for 4 to 5 people and take more than half it you might leave hungry.

The Jiko dinner is now individually plated, although everyone is seated together.

I think it's a good idea that the Jiko dinner is now individually plated. I've done the Wanyama Safari twice and unfortunately gotten those little "Piggies" referred to by a PP both times.
To the OP, since I've done the Wanyama Safari twice, and would love to do it again, I'd recommend that one. Unfortunatly, back issues prevent me from doing the Wild Africa Trek. However, you do get close to animals on the Wanyama Safari. Giraffes, especially, are so curios and so cute-

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter