• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wild Africa Trek

hjchik

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone. Scheduled to go back to Disney this fall and was looking for any add ons that may be interesting. Has anyone done the Wild Africa Trek? If so, was it worth doing it?

Yes, last November for my Dad's 75th bday. Thought it was amazing! We all had a great time!

Loved it! I went with my son and it was fantastic. We got to see lots of animals up close. My favorite were the hippos. We walked across a bridge that was missing some planks etc hanging over the gator pit which made for some adventure. We stopped to eat a yummy lunch they provided on an outdoor raised area where we could see animals surrounding us.

Well worth the money. They also have someone taking photos that are included which is nice too! Great experience! I'd likely do it again now that my other kids are old enough!

My DH and I took this tour in May and we loved it! We booked a 10:15 tour so that it wouldn't be too hot yet and so that the stop for food would coincide with lunchtime. We're both AP holders but the AP discount wasn't offered on the tour for this day/time. I wasn't aware prior to booking that there were sometimes exclusions, but I wanted to do it anyway so we paid the full price.

We met our guides next to the entrance for Kilimanjaro Safaris to check in and get our gear. This included metal water bottles that we got to keep as souvenirs after the tour (which DH and I both sacrificed to the TSA gods at MCO because we absentmindedly forgot to make sure they were empty before entering security... oops!). We started the tour by walking a small part of the Gorilla Falls Exploration trail with our guides. They led us onto a private/gated pathway over to see a couple of hippos up close. We met one of their caretakers there who told us a bit about them and then answered any questions we had. We were a small group of five including DH and me, so everyone was able to ask several questions. There was a girl on the tour for her 9th birthday whose question for every animal we saw was, "Can I pet it?" It was cute the first couple of times. :rolleyes:

We kept going on the path over toward the crocodiles, which we got to see up close from a couple of vantage points including the rope bridges. I thought that part was a lot of fun. Afterward, we boarded the ride vehicle again and took a path very similar to Kilimanjaro Safaris, with our guides telling us about the animals we saw along the way (and reiterating to the birthday girl that, no, she couldn't pet any of them). We stopped to eat around the beginning of the third hour of the tour. The food was almost identical to the Savor the Savannah menu (minus the breads, nuts, and alcohol). It was enough to pass as lunch for me, but not quite for my DH. ;) After eating, we boarded the vehicle again and saw a few more animals before heading back to where we started.

At the end of the tour we got a code to download all of the pictures that our guides took along the way. There were a lot of photos of the animals we saw, as well as posed and candid photos of us, which are some of our overall favorites from that trip.

I think this is definitely worth doing once. I plan to do it again on a future trip to take my DD once she's a little bigger.

We really liked the Wild Africa Trek. The afternoon tours in the summer (and possibly into the fall -- we did it in September) have had a discount because it is hot out. We were warm but it was worth the price reduction and we ended up being the only 2 people on the last tour of the day! Private tour! The food included and the free photos are nice when Disney seems to be upcharging everywhere. ;)

The guides answered lots of questions and let us take our time.

PHXscuba

We have this booked for next month. I did read a lot of reviews and never read any bad ones. I cant wait it seems like it will be fun.
I have a question. Do they have a bathroom in the place where you eat the food?

We have this booked for next month. I did read a lot of reviews and never read any bad ones. I cant wait it seems like it will be fun.
I have a question. Do they have a bathroom in the place where you eat the food?

Yes, there is a bathroom there :)

We just did the Wild Africa Trek yesterday. It really was amazing. Totally worth the money.

I was particularly amazed by how organized everything was. We were a very small group of 4 guests with 2 guides so we really got to take our time and ask tons of questions. The guides were a lot of fun and very informative. They really loved their job and that made us all share in that joy and enjoy ourselves.

They had the photos up the same day and they came out great. I know the tour normally has more people and I feel like since we were just 2 couples we got a lot of photo ops.

Overall I’d recommend doing it.

We did this 3 years ago, and it was a highlight. We go every January and I think we will do it again this year.

Glad to hear the good reviews. I have booked this as a surprise for my DH on our upcoming November trip. Had to pay in full at the time of the reservation. Was able to get an AP discount but had to get book a tour after 11:30am to get it.

My adult son and I did it in May and loved it. We did it mid-morning so we had lunch around 1 or so. He isn't fond of heights so thought he might have issues with the bridge but it didn't bother him, he even stood on it and bounced it while I was ahead of him, which didn't please me. While we wouldn't do it every trip, other than diving in the Living Seas, we can see it as one of the only add ons that we would repeat.

We did the first tour on July 31st and had a good time. I really liked it. I'am kind of afraid of heights and worried about the bridge but that was one of my favorite parts, that along with the feeding the hippos. The height didn't bother me at all.
If we have the extra money I would love to do it again.

Last edited:
Recommended. I've done it once and my wife twice.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter