• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wild Animal Park or San Diego Zoo?

Lagoongirl

Earning My Ears
I'm going to So. Cal in September and I am going to buy a citypass. I was wondering which would be better to go to...the wild animal park or the zoo? I have been to the zoo about 20 years ago, but have never been to the wild animal park. I was hoping to avoid the drive to Escondido, but if the wild animal park is more enjoyable than the zoo then I might reconsider.

Also, would anyone recommend that I buy the citypass on their website or should I save the fee and buy it at the parks?

I went to the zoo the first week of July with my dh and had a blast. We didn't do the Wild Park though because we were also going to SeaWorld and honestly the zoo was closer than the animal park. I will tell you that the zoo is still huge and now has a 40 minute bus tour and then arial tram rides and an express bus to take you from point A to point B. I did like that the zoo now has shows that you can see and of course educational. I believe that you can go on the website for each and check them out to see what appeals to you more. Have a great trip.

I have been to both many times.

I think the WAP is more interactive. You can feed the giraffe and lorikeet. Inside the Hidden Jungle, butterflies, maccaws and hummingbirds fly right by you. There is also a petting zoo where they sometimes keep a baby rhino (mostly in the Spring). Shows include an elephant show and bird show. This summer a new lion camp has opened. In September it is still hot and the WAP has had temps in the 100s lately. There is a 50 minute tram tour that you need to do first thing in the morning to see the most animals.

The Zoo has the new baby Panda. As well as hippos, polar bears, tigers, koalas, apes, monkeys and all the other zoo standards. There is also a petting zoo and shows. The Zoo is closer to the coast so it will not be as warm as the WAP.

Make sure you have lots of energy for either park. You will walk all day.

I've had the annual zoo pass for a few years now - it's valid at both parks. WAP is great but you need to get there early in the morning. A lot of the animals are inactine the latter part of the day due to the heat. Be warned if you have small children and take the tram. I've seen more meltdowns than at any other park I've ever visited.
The zoo downtown is great. They've opened new exhibits lately and you can literally spend the whole day visiting the variuos exhibits and shows. The baby Panda won't be on display for at least two months so you'll probably have to endure a partial closure of the exhibit as they have done in the past.
Overall, I think the zoo is the best bet.
Have fun!

Thank you for your input, everyone!!! I think I will do the zoo this time and save the time driving to Escondido because I want to spend some time at the beach the day I go to the zoo. With the zoo closer to the beach, that will be more convenient and it sounds like both the zoo and the WAP are pretty close in value.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter