Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom

Haygar2

DIS Veteran
I am going to Disney in July. It will be myself and my friend. No husbands or children (not that our children are "children" mine are 23 and 19 and hers is almost 19). Right now we are booked at Wilderness Lodge. Looking at the discount that they added, Wilderness Lodge wasn't included in the discount. And looking back (ya know, back before the world came to a screeching halt and they had discounts) WL hasn't been included, or, if it has, it's been a 15% discount. I love staying at Animal Kingdom. I've never stayed at WL. Do I change, now to AKL, and then add the discount IF it comes out OR do I keep WL and see what kind of discounts that they offer (if they offer any)?

The lobbies at WL and AKL (Jambo House) were designed by the same person, which is why they feel so similar. We've stayed at both many times.

As a stand-alone resort (i.e. ignoring location), we feel Jambo House is simply the best. Great theme, great lobby, great dining options (Boma is Disney's best buffet), very good pool and, of course, giraffes!

But WL is wonderful as well, for many of the same reasons. WL also has Geyser Point, a nice place for 2 adults to hang outside by the lake and have a meal & adult beverage.

If you’ve never stayed at WL, I’d vote to give it a try. If it’s just the 2 of you, you might like location better. You’ll be close to CR, Poly, GF - not to mention the MK! Lots of dining options, as well as a spa nearby.

My husband loves WL and stay in the BRV on most of our trips. I have your opposite issue, and have to convince him to stay elsewhere.

The lobbies at WL and AKL (Jambo House) were designed by the same person, which is why they feel so similar. We've stayed at both many times.

As a stand-alone resort (i.e. ignoring location), we feel Jambo House is simply the best. Great theme, great lobby, great dining options (Boma is Disney's best buffet), very good pool and, of course, giraffes!

But WL is wonderful as well, for many of the same reasons. WL also has Geyser Point, a nice place for 2 adults to hang outside by the lake and have a meal & adult beverage.

View attachment 636840
I love love love AKL. I know we will have some down time. I love sitting on the balcony watching the animals. We would get a Savannah view. It's why I'm so torn. She's never been at all. Another reason why AKL would be amaze-balls for her. No other place around that we can stay and see giraffes.

I love love love AKL. I know we will have some down time. I love sitting on the balcony watching the animals. We would get a Savannah view. It's why I'm so torn. She's never been at all. Another reason why AKL would be amaze-balls for her. No other place around that we can stay and see giraffes.
The view from our December stay:

I'm starting to lean towards AKL. I wish I had un-limited funds and an un-limited amount of time we could stay. Lol

I'm starting to lean towards AKL. I wish I had un-limited funds and an un-limited amount of time we could stay. Lol
I suggest you consider WL. It really is like Jambo House in many ways but is different enough to be a new experience for you.

Here's some more images from our March 2021 stay at WL:

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

If it was Christmas time and decorations were up.... WL would win hands-down. For the summer - kick back, relax and hit up AKL.... the hotel itself is an attraction with the animals! Even if you don't have a savannah view room, it is so much fun to walk out to the view areas and see what animals you can find! Night vision goggles is fun too! I don't understand people answering and saying stay at WL if they haven't ever even stayed there... I have stayed at both several times and I love both! If you can get a deal at AKL, go for it! Take advantage of the views and laid-back lifestyle there! WL brings me back to my roots in Washington State growing up and why I love staying there mostly toward Christmas time. I feel both have equally good restaurants, but I also enjoy the unique food you can only get at AKL! Both are great choices. If one is less expensive than the other, go for that one.... that way you have more $ for food!

If it was Christmas time and decorations were up.... WL would win hands-down. For the summer - kick back, relax and hit up AKL.... the hotel itself is an attraction with the animals! Even if you don't have a savannah view room, it is so much fun to walk out to the view areas and see what animals you can find! Night vision goggles is fun too! I don't understand people answering and saying stay at WL if they haven't ever even stayed there... I have stayed at both several times and I love both! If you can get a deal at AKL, go for it! Take advantage of the views and laid-back lifestyle there! WL brings me back to my roots in Washington State growing up and why I love staying there mostly toward Christmas time. I feel both have equally good restaurants, but I also enjoy the unique food you can only get at AKL! Both are great choices. If one is less expensive than the other, go for that one.... that way you have more $ for food!
Please note that the OP stated that she did not have a discounted rate for either hotel at the moment, but wondered what she should do if one becomes available.

Certainly, price is any important consideration in any vacation.

I never stayed at AKL but we stayed at WL twice. I love the boat ride to MK. I thought the location of it was great. The pool was really nice and everything at the resort was easily walkable. I’d stay there again

There is no comparison to me WL wins hands down simply because of the location! I abhor riding the bus and at WL you can take the boat to MK and then do the monorail to other locations.
I agree! You can even take the boat to CR for a meal and then walk to MK or hop on the Monorail. The first time we stayed at WL we were disappointed that the monorail didn’t stop there, but now we see it as a bonus~since it’s a little effort to get to the resort, there are less people stopping by unless they really want to go for dinner or during the holidays. The peacefulness of the resort is a real draw for us.

We love WL! The lobby is one of our favorites and always have a breakfast at WCC no matter where we stay. You also have the electrical water pageant at night.

Since you like AKL I vote AKL. Save the money and stay someplace you know you like! If the money is already budgeted to the trip put it towards something fun like a tour for you and your friend.

Since you like AKL I vote AKL. Save the money and stay someplace you know you like! If the money is already budgeted to the trip put it towards something fun like a tour for you and your friend.

I agree with this. I know many, many people love WL, but it is just not my style - even though for my stay in August it is less than AKL.

Having stayed at both I will pick WL each and every time. First of all the location is just so much better than AKL. So close to at least MK and the busses running to the other parks don't take long. When we stayed at AK it felt so far from everything. I know AKL has the animals but I just felt the ambiance and scenery of the WL outweighed seeing the animals. Loved going to Geyser Point and eating on the lake and having baby ducks run around our feet. Nothing like sitting in the lobby in front of the fire place. IMO WL would be my choice every time over AKL.

We have stayed at both and WL is my favorite. Problem is I don’t think they include WL in any of their discount offers 😭. If anyone knows if they have had any discounts lately please let me know.

Stayed at both the AKL and the WL. Nothing against the AKL, but the WL has something magical about it. And my wife really loves the WL so that gets my vote cause it makes her happy :),

Both great resorts but iLOVE AKL despite the location from parks. It’s just so peaceful.
If u do stay there, consider the night time Safari. It’s great! Night vision goggles, Safari out on the savannah… we did the latest one and it was Amazing!!
There’s nothing like waking up, looking at the savannah from ur balcony and watching the animals while sipping a coffee to start the day. Great food options as you know.
if it’s a park heavy, run like crazy visit, I’d say WL would be better for easier quicker transport.
wherever u choose have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter