Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary Garden Wing?

Magnoliafan

Mouseketeer
So I have a dilemma. I have a solo 9 night stay coming up in early May and had booked 4 nights at WL (Nature View) and then 5 at BWI (Garden View). I was playing around on the Disney website this morning and was able to book the first two days of my trip at the GF with the 40% off AP rate. I’ve never stayed on the monorail loop before and the rate was amazing, so I jumped on it. So right now, I’m set on the first 2 nights at GF and the last 5 at BWI. But nights 3-4 are a question mark. I have two possibilities booked: WL (Nature View, Bunk Beds - the cheapest category available) and CR (Garden Wing, Garden View). The price is less than $5 different, so cost is definitely not a factor.

What would you do? I’ve never stayed at either resort and don’t have a clear favorite. The biggest pro for WL is the balcony, but I’m not crazy about a room cluttered with bunk beds that I don’t need or want. The biggest pro at CR is the location, as it would save me a few boat rides and allow me to walk to MK, but the lack of a balcony is a definite negative. I prefer the food options at WL, but the room decor at CR. I’m so torn. And the fact that the two resorts are just a short boat ride apart isn’t helping. Does anyone have any feedback that might help me decide?

There are two of my favorite resorts for very different reasons. I would think of your goals/plans for those days. If you plan on relaxing at the resort and using the pools, taking it slow, etc, then pick WL (pools are better, geyser point is wonderful). If you are planning late nights at MK, or lots of park time, garden wing is more convenient (plus bigger rooms and you can request a patio/first floor room). Shorter trips we almost always go with contemporary, long trips end up at WL.

I own at VWL and have for years. While my first instinct would be to choose WL, based on your comments, I think CR would be the choice by a nose. The ability to walk to MK and access to the monorail makes it a slightly better resort this time around. From CR, you can take a boat over to WL to check it out for your next trip. There is no more relaxing or better themed resort than the Lodge--there's a certain serenity there you just don't get anywhere else. Still, for only two days and with the knowledge that you can get to MK so easily, I'd have to go with CR this time.

We've stayed at both; at the CR in a garden wing room. It was probably our least favorite of everywhere we've stayed. Didn't hate it, but didn't really like it too much, either. The room itself was nice, but we felt it was a little desolate for our tastes. We were over by the canal and we barely saw anyone else out there at all. Some people might like that, but I prefer to be around people. I like the hustle and bustle of WL. And all the colors and textures. CR is kind of stark in comparison. It was also quite a jaunt to the MK on foot; I wouldn't exactly call it close. If I recall it took us almost a half hour to walk there (with two young kids in tow). Feet were quite sore at the end of the day walking back! Funny thing is that I love to visit the CR on trips - I love the 4th floor Concourse and I'm always fascinated with the monorail going through the building, etc., but staying there was a little disappointing. Maybe I'd feel differently with a tower room. Good luck with your decision!

We have done castle view and garden wing at Contempo and honestly I might like them equally. We requested a 1st floor room in the garden wing and loved that super quick walk back & forth to MK.

Have you done the boat ride from WL to MK before? I feel like it’s really long but I might just be spoiled by walking. The last time we took the boat to WL we had to literally circle in the water for a few mins until the boat ahead of us had disembarked.

Wilderness Lodge’s lobby is gorgeous though, and their pool is much nicer than the Contemporary’s, if either of those are factors for you.

Both resorts have much to recommend them. We’re doing a split stay at both next month and in fact are returning to WL in late summer. The CR location can’t be beat for the MK. You can easily walk, using the monorail as a backup if needed. The CR pools are just okay, IMO, if that’s important to you. And you can monorail-hop to other resorts for a good variety of restaurants. But the WL is a lovely resort that shouldn’t be missed - we’re looking forward to chilling out a bit at Geyser Point. :goodvibes I think you’d be happy at either resort.

Have to agree that if you are looking to relax then WL is the way to go. If you want direct access to MK and the monorail loop (Trader Sam's!) then Contemporary is the way to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter