Wilderness Lodge or Old Key West

Haygar2

DIS Veteran
I know that this has been asked a dozen times or more, in some way or another. I've looked at previous threads and haven't seen just these two in comparison. So, here goes...currently I am booked at Wilderness Lodge for a girl's only trip in July. It's just me and my friend. Celebrating my 50th, her first time at Disney, and trying to erase an absolutely horrible year for her. I have a nature view room booked at WL and I am hoping to get one of the rooms where we could POSSIBLY see some of the fireworks from Magic Kingdom. But I was playing around with the reservations today and saw a deluxe villa at OKW for a little cheaper. And IF, and that is a big IF, a discount comes out, OKW will probably be even cheaper. Especially since WL is not usually included in the discounts. Our plans are: arrival day (we will arrive really early. Our flight gets into Orlando at 8:05 in the morning) we will probably just relax and hang around the pool/resort until our room is ready. If it's ready early enough we might try and nap, otherwise we are planning on Disney Springs for shopping and dinner and then back to the resort. I'm sure we will be asleep early. Especially since we will have been up since 3:00 am. Tuesday is Animal Kingdom day. I'm planning on going early and being done by early afternoon. AK is typically not an all day park. But with no more fast passes, that might change some. Wednesday is Epcot. Thursday is Magic Kingdom. Friday is a Magic Kingdom day too. But that can change. The only reason that I have it booked again is if I can't snag a Cinderella's Royal Table for Thursday. Cindy is my friend's favorite and she really wants to see the inside of the castle. So, that's my first priority. I'm still leaning towards WL, but just wanted to know what other people thought.

If I were in your shoes I would keep the WL reservation. You said the OKW villa is “a little” cheaper, and in my mind “a little” would not be worth losing the positives of WL: the ambiance of the lodge; the guaranteed proximity to resort’s main pool, restaurants and lounge (Territory Lounge and Geyser Point are awesome!); the boat to MK; the proximity to the monorail resorts if you wanted to eat, shop, or view fireworks over there, and you may be more likely to have your resort room at WL ready early than a villa at OKW. YMMV and others can chime in on that last point especially.

If a discount does come out that makes a worthwhile dent in the budget, then I would re-evaluate. A really good discount can go a long way towards Ubers and additional magic!

Whatever you decide, a girls only trip sounds amazing. Enjoy!

Keep the WL for all the excellent reasons SnowChaser listed.

The boat ride to MK is soooooo relaxing and peaceful we've actually ridden it round trip just for the pleasure of the experience. A lovely way to get to MK for rope drop. And you can often ride past the Electrical Water Pageant if you're lucky of an evening, which is simply magical.

Nothing for good eats at OKW beyond Olivia's, IMO. Yeah, OKW is close to Disney Springs. Maybe it's that I find DS too hectic to be enjoyable despite some good eateries there. Geyser Point right there at WL--fantastic and a wonderful place to watch fireworks if your room doesn't have a fireworks view. There's Cali Grill at the CR, several terrific restaurants at the GF (especially GF Cafe, too often underrated), along with Capt. Cook's, Kona Cafe and 'Ohana at the Poly.

It's very much easier to get to the parks from WL which has great bus service if the boat to MK feels too leisurely. As you may know, you've two enjoyable means to get to the Epcot monorail from the MK--the ferry or the resort loop monorail to the TTC.

The MK Express monorail is efficient if running for a change, but it's not nearly as much fun as the resort loop's CR stop inside the Tower. Still as big a thrill as ever for me--as is eating at CRT. Yup, keep trying for that one. Actually, much better food than it used to have, and you really can't match that first-ever eating IN THE CASTLE.

If I were in your shoes I would keep the WL reservation. You said the OKW villa is “a little” cheaper, and in my mind “a little” would not be worth losing the positives of WL: the ambiance of the lodge; the guaranteed proximity to resort’s main pool, restaurants and lounge (Territory Lounge and Geyser Point are awesome!); the boat to MK; the proximity to the monorail resorts if you wanted to eat, shop, or view fireworks over there, and you may be more likely to have your resort room at WL ready early than a villa at OKW. YMMV and others can chime in on that last point especially.

If a discount does come out that makes a worthwhile dent in the budget, then I would re-evaluate. A really good discount can go a long way towards Ubers and additional magic!

Thank you. You just validated my reasoning for wanting to stay where we are. And honestly, I've always wanted to stay at WL. So, I'm pretty sure we are staying put.

Keep the WL for all the excellent reasons SnowChaser listed.

The boat ride to MK is soooooo relaxing and peaceful we've actually ridden it round trip just for the pleasure of the experience. A lovely way to get to MK for rope drop. And you can often ride past the Electrical Water Pageant if you're lucky of an evening, which is simply magical.

Nothing for good eats at OKW beyond Olivia's, IMO. Yeah, OKW is close to Disney Springs. Maybe it's that I find DS too hectic to be enjoyable despite some good eateries there. Geyser Point right there at WL--fantastic and a wonderful place to watch fireworks if your room doesn't have a fireworks view. There's Cali Grill at the CR, several terrific restaurants at the GF (especially GF Cafe, too often underrated), along with Capt. Cook's, Kona Cafe and 'Ohana at the Poly.

It's very much easier to get to the parks from WL which has great bus service if the boat to MK feels too leisurely. As you may know, you've two enjoyable means to get to the Epcot monorail from the MK--the ferry or the resort loop monorail to the TTC.

The MK Express monorail is efficient if running for a change, but it's not nearly as much fun as the resort loop's CR stop inside the Tower. Still as big a thrill as ever for me--as is eating at CRT. Yup, keep trying for that one. Actually, much better food than it used to have, and you really can't match that first-ever eating IN THE CASTLE.
Thank you. I just needed someone to agree with me. LOL. I'm hoping that since my MK day is later in the week, I will be able to get the reservation. I have been to Disney 5 times and I have never eaten there. I'm pretty excited about it. Another reason I want to stay at WL is I am trying to get a Storybook for Friday. That one is going to be much more difficult because we can only do it at the 4:00 time. Our flight leaves late out of Orlando. If we are already at our resort, it will make leaving right after dinner so much easier since our stuff will be there. So many decisions.

Keep tryping for that Storybook! I bet if you find a close time they’ll try to accommodate if you request an early seating when they open that day.

Your plans sound awesome! I’m making mental notes for a future grownups only trip.

Keep tryping for that Storybook! I bet if you find a close time they’ll try to accommodate if you request an early seating when they open that day.

Your plans sound awesome! I’m making mental notes for a future grownups only trip.
Ohhhh...I like that. Maybe if I can get one close to opening that would work! I love the way you think. I wasn't even going to do it if I couldn't get a 4:00 exactly. I have never done a girl's trip to anywhere. Not even an overnight trip. Not sure my hubby is too excited but I am. :rotfl2:My friend and I met each other when our kids were in 1st grade. They are both graduating in May.

It sounds like you are going to stay with WL. It's one of my favorites. WL will give you each a real bed and if you are looking at a studio at OKW, I don't know if that would be the case or not.

It sounds like you are going to stay with WL. It's one of my favorites. WL will give you each a real bed and if you are looking at a studio at OKW, I don't know if that would be the case or not.
The deluxe studio has 2 queen beds, so we would be okay there. But, yeah, I'm probably staying at WL. I just needed validation. LOL

Not really about where you are staying, but this might change your schedule a bit, Extra Evening Hours at Magic Kingdom is on Wednesday nights.

I can switch those around. My plan for later is because of Cinderella's Royal Table. Figured I had a better shot later. I did however switch to Old Key West. With the discount that is out, for Disney+ accounts, I saved almost $1000 by switching. Wilderness Lodge was only 10% off and my room category wasn't included.

If you have never stayed at WL keep it. It is a very relaxing resort and easily argued the best themed of all Disney resorts with only the Poly in the running. BUT if you live somewhere of similar you may not appreciate the theming. Spend some time on the DVC side as well the train room and lobby… but stay out of the chairs by the fire place those are mine. 😂
if you enjoy the main WL lobby you will love the AKL lobby. But the AKL lobby can somewhat ruin the WL Lobby experience being they similar but AKL is grander.
OKW is also nice and relaxing as well… if you have never stayed there. The boat ride to DS is nice. the pool at OKW is better than what is at WL as this is really WL only downfall. But the pool by no means is bad it is just not great compared to other deluxe but other parts make up for it. As far as park travel OKW is a much shorter ride to both AK and EPCOT. MK ride is not at all long but being WL is so close….. Olivia’s at OKW is absolutely a hidden gem but the CS is nothing more than a window and the bar while nice is very small but being part outside is also nice.

Not really about where you are staying, but this might change your schedule a bit, Extra Evening Hours at Magic Kingdom is on Wednesday nights.
I changed my park days. We are now going to MK on Wednesday. Crossing my fingers for CRT for that day.

If you have never stayed at WL keep it. It is a very relaxing resort and easily argued the best themed of all Disney resorts with only the Poly in the running. BUT if you live somewhere of similar you may not appreciate the theming. Spend some time on the DVC side as well the train room and lobby… but stay out of the chairs by the fire place those are mine. 😂
if you enjoy the main WL lobby you will love the AKL lobby. But the AKL lobby can somewhat ruin the WL Lobby experience being they similar but AKL is grander.
OKW is also nice and relaxing as well… if you have never stayed there. The boat ride to DS is nice. the pool at OKW is better than what is at WL as this is really WL only downfall. But the pool by no means is bad it is just not great compared to other deluxe but other parts make up for it. As far as park travel OKW is a much shorter ride to both AK and EPCOT. MK ride is not at all long but being WL is so close….. Olivia’s at OKW is absolutely a hidden gem but the CS is nothing more than a window and the bar while nice is very small but being part outside is also nice.
No worries about the chairs by the fireplace, we will be there in July. There will be a natural fireplace going on outside. LOL. I love Animal Kingdom Lodge. It ranks as my top resort stay. We had a savanna view room so it will be hard to knock it out of the top spot. Wilderness Lodge is still on my list of resort stays, but I made the switch. With the Disney+ discount, I saved, almost, $1000.00 by switching to Old Key West. I've been looking at room locations and we will probably try for a room on South Point Rd. in the back of the resort. Neither one of us needs the pool slide so a quiet pool would work for us. More shopping and food with the money we are saving! Or I can put it towards my next trip.

A discount came out and definitely made it worth my while. The discount saved me almost $1000.00. Old Key West here we come!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter