Will a family of 5 with deluxe tastes like Riverside?

I
With five, I have priced out renting points, and it's never a cost savings. It's always significantly more than a moderate. There are some studios that sleep five, but they are pricey for studios, and the pull out bed is a no go for us.

We've stayed at the Poly once and POR twice. The grounds are just as nice. Food court is better than Capt. Cooks in variety, but can be absolutely mobbed at peak times. The boat to DS is really nice. Not quite as nice as the boat to MK, but hey. I do miss a balcony, but I actually prefer the outside hallways. We ask for second floor, and find that POR (and CBR) are much quieter than the Poly was. I just can't bring myself to pay for a deluxe after staying at POR.

There are a few dvc rentals that are about the same as a moderate. Standard AKL was $200 a night tax in for us renting for a week from David’s. POR rack rate was more. As much as we liked POR it cannot compare to AKL overall. OKW and Saratoga standard were the same or less. They also have the boat ride to DS and bigger rooms than POR.

I think you'll be fine. :)

We've stayed at all all of the moderates, and most of the deluxes, and PO-R and POFQ are my favorite Mods. The rooms are beautiful, the grounds are gorgeous and lush, the pools are great, and the boat service to Disney Springs is awesome. The only reason we don't usually stay there anymore is because I have a hatred for the hassle of the T&TC parking lot and avoid it at all costs (I get extremely carsick on buses, so they aren't an option for us). We usually stay at one of the monorail hotels or an Epcot hotel and, as ridiculous as it sounds, walk through Epcot to the monorail and then take it over to T&TS and to the MK.

If it weren't for the transportation issue, we would probably stay at one of the PO resorts every time...they are a fantastic value IMHO and and seem to be a cut above the other Mods to us.

I

There are a few dvc rentals that are about the same as a moderate. Standard AKL was $200 a night tax in for us renting for a week from David’s. POR rack rate was more. As much as we liked POR it cannot compare to AKL overall. OKW and Saratoga standard were the same or less. They also have the boat ride to DS and bigger rooms than POR.

What does standard mean for AKL? Is that a studio? Do those sleep five? I'd love to stay at AKL, but have never found an option that's affordable. We may end up going with my parents some day so we can throw a kid in their room.

We love POR, it’s our fav moderate. Beautiful grounds, great food court, fun evening entertainment, Bob Jackson puts on a great show. Carriage rides, boat to Disney Springs & a fishing hole the boys may enjoy. A short and very pleasant walk over to POFQ to check out their pool and get some yummy begniets.
I’ve had many deluxe stays and always love returning to POR. When we stay at GF or Poly we have to walk outside to get to main building/food/transportation. We always pack ponchos in Aug. POR is no different.

What does standard mean for AKL? Is that a studio? Do those sleep five? I'd love to stay at AKL, but have never found an option that's affordable. We may end up going with my parents some day so we can throw a kid in their room.

AKL studio standard does not sleep 5. I should not have posted it. We try and stay there as it has been cheaper to rent points than a Moderate. A chart is below for occupancy. http://dvcrentalstore.com/disney-vacation-club-villas-guest-occupancy-guidelines/

BC, WL and BW are about $1,820 tax in for the week we are going in September. They sleep 5 and are less than poly or GF. POR rack rate is $1,780. Depending on when you go that would change and you loose out on any possible discount renting. Other than rare discounted tickets.

POR is nice, but it's sort of rustic looking in the 5 person rooms I believe..... not 'fancy' at all...some might say like a cheap motel lol. That said, it's disney,and I don't mind the place. But I prefer other 5 person rooms more. Like Dolphin, CSR,or something. Maybe I'm mistaken about the theming tho- the bus stops are FAR out..... it's a big loop.

I don't know about your family. We are not POR fans at all. However I can tell you that we lucked into a trip to WL last fall and while we loved staying there, we are just as happy at POFQ and really looking forward to going back in 23 days. So you may find that even if it's not as luxurious, if your family likes the feel of the resort, you will be just as happy.

Well, you won’t hate it, lol. It’s a beautiful resort, but it’s not deluxe. We had a May reservation at BC, but I changed it to POR as it was half the price. We’re a family of 5 and we’ve stayed there before. I like it, but the AB section is a bit dark and the room is certainly smaller than a deluxe. The food court, however, is great, and the boat to DS is nice. It’s hard to go from a deluxe to a mod, but just think of the money being saved and treat yourself to a Mickey bar.

Oh, the pool at POFQ has a nice splash area for the little ones. I think it’s under 42 inches.

My husband and I stayed at POR awhile back, and just thought it was ok. The property was very pretty but the room did not impress. It gave me somewhat of a motel vibe. Although I’m not sure if they have renovated since we have been there. Also, we did not like the pool at all, it felt very kiddie to us. Granted we were there as a couple and you are going with kids. I personally would try CSR or rent points and do a deluxe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter