Since the move to the prix fixe menu the quality of the food has improved, as has the service. The atmosphere is nicer, elevated, and more calm as well. California grill is currently one of my favorite places to dine at Disney World, whereas previously I felt like it was a bit chaotic, and food and service were inconsistent. The current menu is very balanced and has just the right amount of variety. Every dish that we have tried has been excellent. The wine pairings are lovely, especially the higher end option. I've come away delighted every time we've gone since the change. I am happy with the prix fixe and personally hope it stays.
When we used to do CG for our multi course meals we had excellent food and top tier service. As time went on the quality of food went down and service basic. Yet the prices went up. We became one of those groups who came in ordered multiple sushi and appetizers and no alcoholic drinks. But we never sat long, we told our server to bring it all at once and we over-tipped. But to us the restaurant did it to itself with not upholding their previous standards. If prix fixe has brought back the "special-ness" of this restaurant then that is a good thing.

I do not think it will go away. If anything I think more Disney restaurants will go this route. As long as they are filling their reservations why would they change it? I agree with those who say this situation was created by people ordering an app or dessert for the view. Same with BOG.
I agree with this. There are plenty of places that this would work well. It doesn't mean that the prices will be terrible just that sharing and lack of ordering will be stopped. Space 220 knew exactly what was going to happen there so they opened with prix fixe and a small number of tables in the lounge.

We once did a special prix fixe special at Sci Fi Dine In and it was awesome. Quality of food, amount of food all great and price was doable. Changing that to prix fixe will guarantee income over those who come in for a shake and hold a table the length of the movie or more. I wouldn't blame them. Disney offers PLENTY of quick serve options where folks can spend less.

We avoid any of the Disney restaurants with those pricey fixed menus. While part of what they charge relates to the general 'atmosphere' of each location, still isn't worth paying excessively. We eat QS meals for lunch while in the parks and then eat dinner at someplace not associated with Disney. Maybe that works for Disney, but they have lost us as dinner guests with their excessive prices.

While Disney is not cheap all places have raised their prices and downsized the portions. With that I do not see the Prefix menus as a bad thing. You know what you are paying going in period. I agree it is not for everyone like going to space 220 and ordering the burger is a rather poor choice but there is a lot on the menu that actually can make it good value. Yes in the end Disney is just weeding out the people who go for reasons other then the food and that means ordering an actual full meal. I know some will say its to much..... I am not a big eater anymore for the most part if I have a TS meal I will not have another meal the rest of the day... I have never found the prefix menus to be excessive as the size of the dish is always smaller in more upscale establishments which is where these meus currently are. In places that offer a la carte and a prefix yes that is more then we will eat so we stay away from it.

The prix-fixe price is actually less than what my family averaged per person on our meals before. The a la carte menu offered more options, and we splurged and ordered an assortment. Many of the seasonal dishes we loved in the past have not, and probably will not, been used for the prix-fixe (for instance, the pistasio-cherry souffle would not scale to a single diner). While we will miss the old CG menus, but I expect the balance sheet probably favors Disney sticking with prix-fixe, both to avoid the "just desserters" and because it means a more limited, predictable supply chain.

We will still go back though.

Last edited:

The last time we went was last year and didn't realize the menu had changed to prix fixe (the 50th anniversary menu), so we were surprised to see that (that was on us for not researching), but we both came away saying it was the best meal and experience we had ever had there (with the exception of the brunch they used to have, which was absolutely amazing)! We also noticed that clientele was different too- it seemed a little more refined, though that may have been just my perception. Previously, we had went on a Not-So-Scary Halloween party night, and though it was cool to see some of the costumes and things in the restaurant, it made the atmosphere seem a little different.

I for one wish it would change. I have a gluten allergy and it just does work with that type of menu. If there was more variety then it would be okay with me. It just doesn’t make sense to pay such a high price and be forced to choose sub par choices.

I don't mind the prix fixe because it largely mirrors how we would order anyway, but I'd appreciate more flexibility--often I'd rather have 2 appetizers and no dessert, or just order a bunch of appetizers without an entrée. The staff is really good at accommodating odd requests, but it would be great to have an a-la-carte menu available (they could still enforce a $89 per adult minimum charge).

California grill lost me way way way before the pre fix. They lost me when they “reimagined” the place. The old California grill back when the bbq fillet was still around is what needs to come back.

There are so many better places anymore. Last time we ate there was right after the reimagining and it was so bad. Never went back.

I just checked the menu out for the first time. Doesn’t do anything for me. Venison. That’s about it and personally being a hunter I don’t want farm raised deer. I want what comes out of my freezer. Everything else is at other signature places in property in some form or another.

Last edited:
Eating at the California Grill has been a dream for several years but I’ve pretty much written it off now that’s pre-fixe. I have several allergies and the menu isn’t friendly at all. There isn’t a single appetizer I could eat and the only desert would be the kid’s fruit. That’s pretty normal for me. But having to pay for food I literally can’t eat just rubs me the wrong way.

I took my daughters to CG last trip and my 12 year old at the time was able to order off the children's menu. I'm guessing they enforce the ages for the prix fixe, and looking at the menu it would not make sense to spend $90 on kids in the 9-14 year old range unless they had a very adventurous palate and a hearty appetite.

I don't see Disney making a change. The restaurant is highly sought after so it's nearly always fully booked. There's no reason for Disney to change back unless bookings fall off.
Of course there could be a valid reason, guest preference. It's just a matter of where that ranks at any given time. And you can guess where I think they rank it when I say I agree, I don't seem them making a change.

I do not think it will go away. If anything I think more Disney restaurants will go this route. As long as they are filling their reservations why would they change it? I agree with those who say this situation was created by people ordering an app or dessert for the view. Same with BOG.
There was no need to go all the way to prix fixe to solve that "problem". Simply requiring one entree per guest would have sufficed.

No, they wanted more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter