will connecting time increase in American arrival airport due to covid requirements?

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
We purchased our transatlantic flights 2 months ago, before the connecting flights were available because the prices were too cheap to pass up.

Now i'm trying to figure out which connecting flight to book.

We're flying into Miami, meaning going through immigration/customs there, as well as whatever covid documentation is required.
Then we switch to a domestic airline for the flight to Orlando.

When i made a dummy booking all the way through to orlando, the airline's suggested connection was 2 hours, but that seems way too little.
I would have thought 2 hours was too little even before covid.

Has anyone heard what the covid process is when you enter the US? Does it add a lot of time when arriving into the USA?

When we returned to the US from Greece last month (flew into JFK), it was just normal immigration. No one on the US side checked our covid tests - that was all done by the airline before we departed Greece.

When we returned to the US from Greece last month (flew into JFK), it was just normal immigration. No one on the US side checked our covid tests - that was all done by the airline before we departed Greece.
thanks!! that's good to know.
I had not idea how they're doing it.

Obviously can't say before people start travelling, but it would be logical for them to check it before your board the plane, like how they have TSA at UK airports.

Agree that 2 hours is the minimum connection time, particularly if you're connecting airport is a huuuuuuge one like Atlanta (*brings back awful memories of running to my gate panicking the flight would leave without me*)

Obviously can't say before people start travelling, but it would be logical for them to check it before your board the plane, like how they have TSA at UK airports.

Agree that 2 hours is the minimum connection time, particularly if you're connecting airport is a huuuuuuge one like Atlanta (*brings back awful memories of running to my gate panicking the flight would leave without me*)

No they don't. TSA is only in the US. UK (like other countries) have their own security system. Some non-US airports (non in the UK, I don't think) do have US CBP which allows for pre-clearance of US immigration/customs (so you essentially arrive in the US as a domestic flight).

But, yes, airlines check before you get on the plane (both COVID-19 specific stuff and general immigration) because they can be on the hook for getting the person back to the point of departure if they are not allowed into the US (with an additional fine, in some situations).

If you've already got the transatlantic flight I'm assuming you'd be buying a standalone domestic flight? If not booked through on same booking then give it longer otherwise a missed connection is all on you. we are in the same boat booked to Miami but with the intention to drive (if we can find a reasonably priced car hire!)

We've tried flying via, Tampa, Orlando and Sanford but last couple times we've gone via Miami and driven up. always been lucky with the immigration bit but imagine that a lot more full flights are coming in. We had a look at maybe flying up but the hassle of swapping flights, having enough time to transfer etc. meant we've stuck with driving from Miami which has never been an issue. An easy road to drive exiting the airport I think better than tampa where lost track of getting in the wrong lane with the exit of the airport.
So on balance not sure it's any longer driving than taking 2 flights to MCO about 3hours 30 mins driving time. Assuming of course that you'd be getting a hire car anyway

If you've already got the transatlantic flight I'm assuming you'd be buying a standalone domestic flight? If not booked through on same booking then give it longer otherwise a missed connection is all on you. we are in the same boat booked to Miami but with the intention to drive (if we can find a reasonably priced car hire!)

We've tried flying via, Tampa, Orlando and Sanford but last couple times we've gone via Miami and driven up. always been lucky with the immigration bit but imagine that a lot more full flights are coming in. We had a look at maybe flying up but the hassle of swapping flights, having enough time to transfer etc. meant we've stuck with driving from Miami which has never been an issue. An easy road to drive exiting the airport I think better than tampa where lost track of getting in the wrong lane with the exit of the airport.
So on balance not sure it's any longer driving than taking 2 flights to MCO about 3hours 30 mins driving time. Assuming of course that you'd be getting a hire car anyway

Good catch, I missed that. Also, if not booked together, you'll often have to check-in separately for the second flight (i.e. go up to arrivals level with your luggage to the check-in desk). If you only have carry-ons and can use online check-in, this isn't really an issue.

those are the JFK memories for us.
What i call the JFK mini-marathon, though it's not really all that mini.
And with thousands of other people doing the same thing.
It's a bit of hell on earth.
Which is why we're trying Miami this time.
To see if it's an improvement over JFK.

Of all the airports i've connected in, the nicest is Detroit, but there's no flight that connects that way for us.

that's true, even stopping at every place along the turnpike, it's probably the same amount of time driving vs flying.
but i'm not sure i'd be able to after a 13 hour non-stop flight.
And we'll have two cars (for our group of 9).
So while i theoretically could do that drive, since i'm an expat american and used to driving there, my son would have a harder time i think.

Maybe i could find someone who could drive us all in a minibus.

As you said, it's probably faster to drive than fly.

I don't get the ones that give you a 45 min window.

I'm flying out of Dublin, so the immigration stuff is done before the flight, but still, 45 minutes doesn't seem like a long enough window to get off, collect my bags, get them to the transfers part and then get to the gate for the connecting flight, so why are they suggesting it on Skyscanner?

I'm flying out of Dublin, so the immigration stuff is done before the flight, but still, 45 minutes doesn't seem like a long enough window to get off, collect my bags, get them to the transfers part and then get to the gate for the connecting flight, so why are they suggesting it on Skyscanner?

Right?? it's so irritating when they suggest connections that are completely impossible, or would have you totally stressed trying to make it..

Because Skyscanner is showing all possible combinations using algorithms. I've just booked flights from Dublin to LAX with Delta. I used Skyscanner first to see the airlines flying from Dublin, then I went to the websites airlines and found the routes which are directly operated by the airlines, not code share partners.

I then checked BOTH the Dublin to LAX routes and the LAX to Dublin routes and found flights which have approx 3 hour layovers.

You should join my pre planning thread where I am posting information about planning to a trip from Ireland to USA in January 2022, all the new procedures and things to do as well as my Disneyland California planning.

Every airport has Minimum Connection Times (MCT) that vary by the type of flights (e.g. international-to-international or international-to-domestic) and airline; Skyscanner (and other sites) shows you all options that meet MCT. HOWEVER, just because a flight connection meets MCT does not mean that everyone is comfortable taking it.

that's true about skyscanner, but explain why an airline offers a 90 minute connection time even though you have to clear immigration and customs, and then go through security again.
there is no airport in the US that can do that in 90 minutes.
Detroit is close if you're in the delta terminal, but not worth the stress.

that's true about skyscanner, but explain why an airline offers a 90 minute connection time even though you have to clear immigration and customs, and then go through security again.

Because the airport/airline thinks that you can do it. A sample thread about MCT in FlyerTalk (discussion is JFK for SkyTeam airlines) - assuming everything working (ability to actually do it also depends on things like the type of passport you hold, where you sit on the plane, mobility, having TSA pre-clear, etc.).

For resorts that can accommodate a 5th or 9th guest in some rooms, the DVC website has a disclaimer that no additional bedding, linens, or towels will be provided for members booking with points. So it seems safe to assume we need to bring towels for the extra person. The bedding and linen situation is not as clear. Which bed has no sheets and blanket/cover? Or is it just a pillow and pillowcase that is needed for the 5th/9th person?
We purchased our transatlantic flights 2 months ago, before the connecting flights were available because the prices were too cheap to pass up.

Now i'm trying to figure out which connecting flight to book.

We're flying into Miami, meaning going through immigration/customs there, as well as whatever covid documentation is required.
Then we switch to a domestic airline for the flight to Orlando.

When i made a dummy booking all the way through to orlando, the airline's suggested connection was 2 hours, but that seems way too little.
I would have thought 2 hours was too little even before covid.

Has anyone heard what the covid process is when you enter the US? Does it add a lot of time when arriving into the USA?

I don’t think COVID checks will make any difference as most checks have to be done before departure of your first flight. You get your paperwork stamped should be fine for the connection.

I have had 90 minute connections in LAX twice and it’s been fine. That was from Australia not U.K. but it wasn’t a problem.

I booked flights through Travelup in Sept '17 for travel in Aug '18. That trip was Dublin - Washington - Orlando with a 2 hour gap between flights in Washington.

Some time around Jan flights got moved about and the connection time went down to 45 minutes.

Travelup couldn't understand when I phoned them up and said I wasn't happy with just a 45 minute gap. But they changed it without any charge.

Because the airport/airline thinks that you can do it. A sample thread about MCT in FlyerTalk (discussion is JFK for SkyTeam airlines) - assuming everything working (ability to actually do it also depends on things like the type of passport you hold, where you sit on the plane, mobility, having TSA pre-clear, etc.).

that's hilarious.
JFK security can have you die of old age before you get through.
If you have TSA security clearance, then yes, perhaps you can.
But if you're the regular traveling public?
You're going to be in that security line for close to an hour, even if there aren't that many people there.
Of course, it depends which terminal you're in at JFK, but terminal if you're in terminal 4?
Be sure to go to the bathroom before you get in that line!!

actually terminal 8 can be challenging too!
we once "raced" from terminal 4 to terminal 8 (requires taking the train that connects terminals), after clearing immigration and customs...
we had 25 minutes when we got into the terminal 8 security line that was clearly a lot longer than 25 minutes.
I asked the TSA agent if we could go ahead she said NO. (and that's despite the fact that two of us were in first class, the other two in economy)..
so we got into line.
after about 5 minutes, a different TSA agent came along and asked if anyone had a flight within 30 minutes
I raised my hand and all the people around us mumbled about people who don't come to the airport early..
i gave them my dirtiest look and said we'd just arrived by plane, so timing was beyond our control...
the airline after all thought we could do it...
anyway, the nice TSA agent pulled us forward, then we raced full out to the gate and made it just in time...

no, airlines have no clue how long that connection can take...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter