• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will Dinosaur Make Me Sick?

I get motion sick on almost everything, so I take one Bonine each morning that we go to WDW. I still get queasy on Dinosaur! Not sick- and if I sit for 5-10 minutes after, I'm fine- but I definitely get queasy. Dinosaur is dark, jerky, bumpy, and LOUD. VERY LOUD, which makes it very intense. If I were you, I'd FP the Safari, Festival of the Lion King (we just walked over to the section in which we wanted to sit), and Finding Nemo. We don't enjoy the Nemo show but your kids at the right age for it, so I think you'll like it!

I've never been on Dinosaur in AK and was wondering if it would make me nauseous. I can't do spinning rides (Tea Cups, etc) or Soarin, but I've never been on Dinosaur. Is it more like Nemo or The Little Mermaid where you just get carted along and see things?

Also, is it scary for 5 year olds? I know it depends on the child, but overall...

Thanks for any help!

Yes, it's scary. It isn't a spinning ride but it is a rough ride and it is very dark. It is nothing like the sweet tame Nemo or Little Mermaid. I took my 5 year old daughter on it (it was the first time for both of us) almost a year ago and out of the blue just yesterday she said "I will never ride that scary ride with the dinosaur again!!" So, it seems to have left a lasting impression... For the record, I am with her on that. I'd rather not ride it again but I don't regret riding it either.

My kids rode Dinosaur at 5 and had no issues. I would caution, though, as others have said, that it does have a lot of jerks in it. If you have back issues I'd avoid it (but the safari also can have lots of bumps too!). I get motion sick very (VERY) easily, and Dinosaur doesn't bother me with that. It is a lot like Test Track really.

I would do Everest - honestly if you don't and go home, you may regret not going once! Don't know how tall your 5yo's are or if they'd even want to go, but I'd try anything once!

My kids rode Dinosaur at 5 and had no issues. I would caution, though, as others have said, that it does have a lot of jerks in it. If you have back issues I'd avoid it (but the safari also can have lots of bumps too!). I get motion sick very (VERY) easily, and Dinosaur doesn't bother me with that. It is a lot like Test Track really. I would do Everest - honestly if you don't and go home, you may regret not going once! Don't know how tall your 5yo's are or if they'd even want to go, but I'd try anything once!

I agree! My five year old loves EE! It's his favorite after test track.

My kids rode Dinosaur at 5 and had no issues. I would caution, though, as others have said, that it does have a lot of jerks in it. If you have back issues I'd avoid it (but the safari also can have lots of bumps too!). I get motion sick very (VERY) easily, and Dinosaur doesn't bother me with that. It is a lot like Test Track really.

I would do Everest - honestly if you don't and go home, you may regret not going once! Don't know how tall your 5yo's are or if they'd even want to go, but I'd try anything once!

I think they are just a little too short. My daughter would NOT want to go. She doesn't do roller coasters (although she's a daredevil and I think she'd like them).

I can't do EE because it goes backwards, which is the only type of roller coaster that makes me queasy. My husband is a chicken with roller coasters.

I'm sure next year my son will be tall enough and we'll have someone with us who can ride it with him!

Yes, same ride system but I much prefer Indiana Jones. Theming is better, the ride isn't as loud and for whatever reason doesn't seem as jerky.

Thanks, we can cope with it then. Indy is one of our favourite rides at DL :)

I've never been on Dinosaur in AK and was wondering if it would make me nauseous. I can't do spinning rides (Tea Cups, etc) or Soarin, but I've never been on Dinosaur. Is it more like Nemo or The Little Mermaid where you just get carted along and see things?

Also, is it scary for 5 year olds? I know it depends on the child, but overall...

Thanks for any help!

Don't think anyone can answer this question.

We did Dinosour recently and I had a BLAST!:thumbsup2
I never do spinning rides or roller coasters, but really wanted to try this one.
Here's what I can tell you...VERY BUMPY, JERKY, DARK, but FUN!:cool1:
We were with relatives and we had a FP...My DH and I did it once, then we did it again later in the day with four relatives! WE REALLY HAD A LOT OF LAUGHS!:goodvibes

My daughter was about 8 or so the first time she rode it.She like it but said it was scary.Its a realy jerky kind of ride but I wouldnt think it would make anyone sick.Awesome ride though

I have really severe motion sickness on many rides so I was nervous to try this last year. Drops are awful for me and spinning rides and motion simulated rides are awful too.

I did okay with Dinosaur. The only real issue with the ride is that it's very jerky and that bothered my neck a little. But I was really tense the first time not knowing what to expect. The second time I was more relaxed and had no issues with it.

I wouldn't consider this a bad ride for motion sickness sufferers.

As for scary that depends on the kid. My 5 year old did fine at age 4 and 5. But I also always prep him for these things and play down the scary parts.

I gather the question has been answered, but it really depends. the kids in our family have never been scared to ride as soon as they were tall enough- where a few other rides did scare them.

Then again, some adults in my family close their eyes for a few parts.
It's more strobes and surprise factor than anything else. If you know the dinos are fake, well....

but certainly if you have something like a back injury, it may be best to skip it.

The preshow is also kind of neat. One option might be to go through the preshow, then decide when you see the vehicles if riding it feels right, according to your kids attitude at that juncture.

It is also very possible to ask for a child swap pass! If you go this route, the Dino gift shop at the end of the ride is fun. You could also take the kids on the nearby triceratops Spin (TS also pairs well with PW).

The downside of AK is that it doesn't have many 'rides' for the youngest members of the family.

Thanks for any help!

It might be scary--but it could be scary good or scary bad. It is a bit of a "wild" transport vehicle trying to find a rare dinosaur before a meteor impact. So it depends on the child. I didn't ride last time because I couldn't and the last time I did was in 2012. Towards the end, there is a scary dinosaur that pops out--but I think he has been toned down. Freaked me out first time I ever rode (we bought the pic which would have been great for marketing :eek:) but by 2012c he didn't seem all that scary. :confused3

As far as motion, I have a child with bad motion sickness. We give her Dramamine now for any park visit (Disney or other amusement park) and she does fine. But we only began doing this this year. We didn't in years prior and she would skip a lot of rides because she didn't feel good after riding them or the concept seemed of would cause her a problem. Dinosaur was one she avoided.

So depending, I would suggest Dramamine--the ride is a but wild with sides. Starts and stops in a car with very bouncy "shocks" (all a computer program).

It is really a YMMV ride when it comes to motion sickness. I can get it on very long car rides or on cruises, but not on rides at Disney except spinning rides. (Dumbo is even becoming a little of a problem for me).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter