• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will Disney cruising return during 2021?

Will Disney Cruising Return in 2021?

• yes, cruises will resume in 2021

Votes: 170 84.6%
  • no, cruises won't return until at least 2022

Votes: 31 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there are just so many variables up on the air at this point, including the elephant in the room...the election that will have a large impact on when DCL will be cruising again. My guess, and that’s all it is a guess, says second half of 2021.

Just keep singing the lines from the theme song to that awesome 80's show, 'Diff'rent Strokes' "Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, What might be right for you, may not be right for some." :) I doubt I'd go for 100% masks but if Disney does it then I'm sure some will and what a good experiment it will be for the rest of us. And on the reverse, if its 10 years from now with Covid 8 or 9 years in the rear view mirror and someone chooses to wear a mask I'll try not to be judgemental.

I'm assuming most people reading this thread have been on a previous Disney cruise so let me ask you this....is there ANYONE that would pay for a Disney cruise where you would have to wear a mask all day and make reservations for the pool. What are they going to do....no one else allowed on deck 10??? It would be impossible.

Castaway Club member here..No we would not cruise with most of the restrictions tossed up as ideas in the DCL survey that went out. It’s just not worth it for my family. Not that we don’t agree with mask mandates or anything, we just know there will be a right time for us to resume our version of a normal vacation. Still crossing my fingers out Sept 21 sailing includes us on the ship!

I think Spring 2021 will bring the beginnings of testing cruises, with Fall 2021 bringing a full return. Realistically, having a vaccine quickly is highly unlikely. What did they say, 4 years is the quickest one has ever been put together? The world can’t pause for that long. I’m sure there will be restrictions, waivers, and some form of testing required.

When this whole thing started, I was definitely of the “the value for money isn’t there” thinking with regard to to WDW/DCL with all the restrictions. And I still completely understand how the value might not be there for a while for some people. For me personally, I *started* with that line of thinking, and then soon came around to my current opinion which is this: yes, the parks and the ships will (hopefully) be there waiting once the “value” is back to normal. But I might not be. Some may see that as dramatic, but it’s a fact that while the world is trying to figure out this virus, all of us are losing time living, not doing the things that we love and that make life *worth* living. So as soon as there is a way to do those things again, whatever strings come with it, I will be there sailing. I can always make more money. I won’t ever get the time back. So I can spend it waiting for a better tomorrow or I can take today for what it is. Just my personal view for my own life right now.

I think Spring 2021 will bring the beginnings of testing cruises, with Fall 2021 bringing a full return. Realistically, having a vaccine quickly is highly unlikely. What did they say, 4 years is the quickest one has ever been put together? The world can’t pause for that long. I’m sure there will be restrictions, waivers, and some form of testing required.

When this whole thing started, I was definitely of the “the value for money isn’t there” thinking with regard to to WDW/DCL with all the restrictions. And I still completely understand how the value might not be there for a while for some people. For me personally, I *started* with that line of thinking, and then soon came around to my current opinion which is this: yes, the parks and the ships will (hopefully) be there waiting once the “value” is back to normal. But I might not be. Some may see that as dramatic, but it’s a fact that while the world is trying to figure out this virus, all of us are losing time living, not doing the things that we love and that make life *worth* living. So as soon as there is a way to do those things again, whatever strings come with it, I will be there sailing. I can always make more money. I won’t ever get the time back. So I can spend it waiting for a better tomorrow or I can take today for what it is. Just my personal view for my own life right now.
I’m more ok with a land vacation, like WDW than a cruise, with all of the restrictions. So while I’ll cancel the cruise, I’ll have a wdw backup trip.

Some may see that as dramatic, but it’s a fact that while the world is trying to figure out this virus, all of us are losing time living, not doing the things that we love and that make life *worth* living. So as soon as there is a way to do those things again, whatever strings come with it, I will be there sailing. I can always make more money. I won’t ever get the time back. So I can spend it waiting for a better tomorrow or I can take today for what it is. Just my personal view for my own life right now.

Good take, good thinking.
Life is too short and this virus made it even shorter.
As soon as its possible, just go out and live life, cruise, travel, do whatever makes you happy.
I know I will.

I feel that if cruising isn't back in 2021, then it won't ever be back, or so expensive that we just can't afford to go as so many cruise lines will have gone out of business and space will be limited.

While I agree and don't believe they'll be sailing for the rest of 2020, I think this might be more along the lines of "We might be opening with heavy restrictions." I.E. Masks, reservations for pool, activities, etc. But, hey, who knows!
Sadly "heavy restrictions" will probably remove all the fun from cruising---

We just moved our original March 2020 cruise, rescheduled for Feb 2021, back to November 21st. I think they will be cruising come February but I doubt we will be comfortable with it that early. By November, hopefully things will be back to normal. Of course that was our thinking when we changed it to February but fingers crossed the vaccine will be out by end of the year.

I’m more ok with a land vacation, like WDW than a cruise, with all of the restrictions. So while I’ll cancel the cruise, I’ll have a wdw backup trip.

No way I'd go to WDW and have to wear a mask all day. I can't believe people went in the heat of the summer.

I'm assuming most people reading this thread have been on a previous Disney cruise so let me ask you this....is there ANYONE that would pay for a Disney cruise where you would have to wear a mask all day and make reservations for the pool. What are they going to do....no one else allowed on deck 10??? It would be impossible.

Reservations for the pool would actually be better than the way it is now! You might actually get to enjoy it.

I agree. There are plenty of things to do on a Disney cruise. My first cruise I went on, I was running around trying to do everything I could do. I felt I didn't have the time to truly just sit down, relax and enjoy the view. This time around I'm going to try to do more relaxing, restrictions or not. Point is there's a lot you can do to enjoy yourself. Also let's say if there are no character meet and greets, that just gives me another reason to book another cruise in the future when there are zero restrictions. I just can't imagine if they keep cancelling into next year and have people reschedule again.

No way I'd go to WDW and have to wear a mask all day. I can't believe people went in the heat of the summer.

That's why they're having attendance issues and having to reduce park hours due to nobody showing up. They're trying to make it out like people are not coming for fear of the virus but that is simply not true. People aren't coming because they don't want to wear a mask in Florida heat for 6 to 8 hours. Even though Disney World wants to operate at 50% capacity, they cannot even get 30% capacity to show up.

I do not think Disney cruises will be back in 2021. As long as social distancing, masks, etc. are necessary to stop the spread - and really, as long as covid is spreading at all - I don’t see it happening.
If WDW was not open right now I would agree completely, but that shows possibility to me.

I think there are just so many variables up on the air at this point, including the elephant in the room...the election that will have a large impact on when DCL will be cruising again. My guess, and that’s all it is a guess, says second half of 2021.
Wow I had forgotten about how the elephant would have say in the return. Good point.
QUOTE="mickey0624, post: 62241484, member: 122218"]
....is there ANYONE that would pay for a Disney cruise where you would have to wear a mask all day and make reservations for the pool. What are they going to do....no one else allowed on deck 10??? It would be impossible.
[/QUOTE]
I would as I’m bored silly and have been to the pool a total of 5 hours on my Last 6 cruises. Usually not at pool maybe just 2 cruises.

I actually used to be in the camp of I am not going to pay this much money until it's back to somewhat normal. I do totally understand some families may not feel this way and that is absolutely okay! The more I started to think about it, the more I started to be okay if we had some restrictions until there is a vaccine readily available. There are already reservations for so many things, if we add more and are able to sail safely then maybe it's okay.
  • Maybe adults can reserve an hour or two at the pool and actually get a seat without dirty towels taking them all.
  • Maybe families can select evening show seats (like how a movie theater currently does it) on the Disney app and have seats waiting for them.
  • Maybe you have to wear a mask when walking within the halls of the ship, but can remove it on top decks or when eating/drinking.
  • Maybe you have to reserve your trivia or game shows like how you have to reserve drink tastings or some other events.
  • Maybe reduced attendance (while no vaccine) on a cruise ship would be somewhat nice.
  • Maybe this causes us to slow down and fully relax more on vacation.
Again, this definitely will not be for everyone, but I am just trying to keep positive until everyone can sail "normal" again.

I actually used to be in the camp of I am not going to pay this much money until it's back to somewhat normal. I do totally understand some families may not feel this way and that is absolutely okay! The more I started to think about it, the more I started to be okay if we had some restrictions until there is a vaccine readily available. There are already reservations for so many things, if we add more and are able to sail safely then maybe it's okay.
  • Maybe adults can reserve an hour or two at the pool and actually get a seat without dirty towels taking them all.
  • Maybe families can select evening show seats (like how a movie theater currently does it) on the Disney app and have seats waiting for them.
  • Maybe you have to wear a mask when walking within the halls of the ship, but can remove it on top decks or when eating/drinking.
  • Maybe you have to reserve your trivia or game shows like how you have to reserve drink tastings or some other events.
  • Maybe reduced attendance (while no vaccine) on a cruise ship would be somewhat nice.
Again, this definitely will not be for everyone, but I am just trying to keep positive until everyone can sail "normal" again.

If they move to the reservation model, it would take a lot of the fun out of cruising for us. Although we are planners when traveling, the best part of cruising days are the lack of planning. It would be particular harsh on new cruisers if they open reservations by seniority, since new cruisers already miss out on much of what is offered because things fill up and Disney offers sub-par capacity for many things.

All that said, I would still consider cruising with reservations since I miss it so darn much. I would be mostly happy to sit on my veranda, deck 4, the top deck from time-to-time, and enjoy dining.

This definitely won't be for everyone, but I definitely would not mind making a reservation to attend Trivia or Bingo or whatever. Yes, a cruise is meant to be a relaxing vacation where you can easily "wing it" but I love to plan things and if it means I have to make a reservation to play Disney Tunes Trivia, then I will make that reservation lol. The big "deal breakers" would be things like eliminating deck parties, requiring masks, the things that make DCL special. However, only time will tell what will be required when they restart operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter