Will Disney follow Royal and not require vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless anybody is cruising in the next few months I wouldn’t worry about any of this. I’m optimistic in 6 months we’re not even talking about Covid anymore. I’m saving my money for multiple cruises in 2022.😁
I’m with you. I have 2 booked for 2022, and looking for a 3rd!

Unless anybody is cruising in the next few months I wouldn’t worry about any of this. I’m optimistic in 6 months we’re not even talking about Covid anymore. I’m saving my money for multiple cruises in 2022.😁

Oh I agree. We’re December 2021 and I’m almost positive we’ll be sailing…and it will be pretty close back to “normal”.

I still think Celebrity will cruise in Florida with a 100% vax requirement. I don't think the FL law applies to cruises IMO regardless of what the governor says. In a few months it won't matter but I think cruise lines with older clientele may still require it. Virgin is also requiring vaccines

There's a big difference between 100% vulnerability to it and a 5% vulnerability to it, so no, the two groups should not be treated the same way in that regard.

Amazing that 5% is such a small number to you
Especially when the virus carries an over 99% survivability rate….so less than 1% are effected… Not to get political, but the numbers are the numbers. If 1% is a big enough number to force cities to shut down, then 5% (which I would argue) should not be a big deal to also subject to testing on a cruise

Amazing that 5% is such a small number to you
Especially when the virus carries an over 99% survivability rate….so less than 1% are effected… Not to get political, but the numbers are the numbers. If 1% is a big enough number to force cities to shut down, then 5% (which I would argue) should not be a big deal to also subject to testing on a cruise
Death is not the only negative outcome of COVID. There are people that survived it, but need heart, lung, or kidney transplants. Once healthy people unable to climb a flight of stairs without being winded. The hospitalization rate from COVID is much higher than 1%. A major concern was the collapse of our healthcare system. You have an ER overwhelmed with COVID patients, what happens to the person that has a heart attack or is in a car accident? Have you forgotten there were cities where EMTs were told not to try to revive people if they lost a pulse because the hospitals were unable to provide the appropriate level of care to those people? Those issues are why the 1% mortality rate means nothing in relation to why there had to be a strong response to limit the spread of COVID. I'm sick and tired of people citing a 1% mortality rate as a reason we should act like COVID was nothing important.

Personally, I think the cruise lines are taking a huge risk if they decide to restart cruises allowing unvaccinated people. It is a public relations nightmare waiting to happen. People will stick with cruising if the ships start sailing again and there are minimal disruptions due to cases onboard. But if there are cruises that get shut down due to too high a percent of passengers and crew coming down with COVID onboard? People will abandon cruising for years to come. I'm not saying COVID vaccinations should be required from now until the end of time, but this first 6-12 months will be critical for the long term survival of cruise lines. They need to be very careful in how they handle the restart.

I work in a large hospital. They have shared with us the stats on fully vaccinated employees becoming infected with covid. So far, 50 employees who were fully vaccinated have later tested positive for covid. That sounds like a lot until they give the total # of employees that were vaccinated which was approximately 24,000.
That equates to 0.2% which is much lower than the 5% originally cited by Pfizer and Moderna.
Of those 50 employees, none had severe disease. None needed hospitalization and none died from it.

Death is not the only negative outcome of COVID.
I agree. I lost my mother to pulmony fibrosis in 2019. She had been on oxygen for 8 years on a super long hose so she could walk around the house plus a small portable unit for leaving the house. It gradually worsened. The average life span with PF is 5 years so really I was pretty grateful to have her for 8 years. I cringed when I heard that covid can sometimes result in PF. :sad2: I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Why are none of these lasting effects discussed much in the news?
I realize young people have that "It won't happen to me." mentality but if my dh was diagnosed with PF, I'd be devastated. I don't want any lingering effects of anything.

I agree. I lost my mother to pulmony fibrosis in 2019. She had been on oxygen for 8 years on a super long hose so she could walk around the house plus a small portable unit for leaving the house. It gradually worsened. The average life span with PF is 5 years so really I was pretty grateful to have her for 8 years. I cringed when I heard that covid can sometimes result in PF. :sad2: I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Why are none of these lasting effects discussed much in the news?
I realize young people have that "It won't happen to me." mentality but if my dh was diagnosed with PF, I'd be devastated. I don't want any lingering effects of anything.
I'm very sorry your mother had to go through that.

If they cant require proof of vaccine then how do they know who’s not vaccinated?

Maybe they put everyone in the "we don't know and we can't ask" group . . .
Then, if there are those who want to go to Cabana's or the Spa, they/we show our vaccination card voluntarily for admittance to the "voluntarily submitted proof of vaccination" group.

Maybe they put everyone in the "we don't know and we can't ask" group . . .
Then, if there are those who want to go to Cabana's or the Spa, they/we show our vaccination card voluntarily for admittance to the "voluntarily submitted proof of vaccination" group.
There's a lot about your statement that doesn't work, first off Cabanas won't be a buffet style service anymore but cafeteria style, studies have PROVEN that touch contact is extremely low risk for transmission of the virus. MANY other venues besides the SPA offer potential for cross transmission of the virus since it's airborne, Walt Disney Theater, Pools, Buena Vista Theater, all the bars, and lastly depending on seating configurations all the dining rooms. Vaccinated people are better protected in all of these locations, however there is a chance that coming in contact with a unvaccinated person someone protected CAN contract the virus (it's unlikely to make them sick) but the risk of spreading it to others more vulnerable such as children that are unable to be vaccinated at this time is too high. The CDC has it right, vaccinate as many people as possible (all over 12 that are able to medically take the vaccine) so that the risk is as low as possible. The better the 'bubble' is on board the LESS likely that transmission or positivity will occur.

Most US states have quickly and quietly become 100% back to normal. My area had a few stores that still required masks last week now the only signs I see are saying that masks are not required and people should not complain if they see others without them. A full 180. I think cruising will quickly go back to normal also. Some countries may require testing or quarantining after travel though.

I completely agree. There is really only a small portion of life not 100% normal now. By fall everything will be back to pre covid for the most part.

Same here, states are starting to report only weekly or a few times weekly covid numbers, by fall who knows if they are even reporting any. As it trickles out of the media it will trickle out of peoples mind. Every symptom won't make people go out and get tested either and most of the mild cases going forward will be treated as every other viral illness.

We are no where near averaging 300,000 cases daily in the US anymore. The 7 day moving average for the us is under 15,000. Both vaccinated and those who have had Covid are driving that down. There has been no spike or increase either since so many areas have dropped all restrictions, every metric is dropping fast.
June 4 there were 14,100 cases. If they test everyone before boarding the chances of a Covid outbreak are extremely low. I wouldn’t cruise this Summer because of the restrictions, but I’m expecting by Nov 1 cruising to be normal again.

That is the sign that is at businesses around me now. Most used to require masks, now they just place this sign in the window.

DeSantis stood firm and the cruise lines are doing what he wanted. We are fully vaccinated and will happily show our vaccine cards to get on a disney cruise. We are going to book one in august if they are sailing by then. In addition to our 8 night in October.

Yeah, that’s what the Target stores I’ve been to have posted on the front doors. It’s a pretty distinct change to say they strongly recommend unvaccinated guests to wear a mask.

June 4 there were 14,100 cases. If they test everyone before boarding the chances of a Covid outbreak are extremely low. I wouldn’t cruise this Summer because of the restrictions, but I’m expecting by Nov 1 cruising to be normal again.

I hope so. We're booked for Nov 8. Lately, I've even been dreaming about cruising. Last night I dreamt that we sailed from Seattle and seas were so rough that huge waves came crashing over the stern, right onto the pool deck and everyone started screaming. I was way up, looking down from an upper deck watching it all happen.
:crazy:

I just really, really hope they put some protocols in place if there happens to be a covid outbreak on a cruise, or even if just a few people test positive, and they let people know said protocol beforehand. The last thing I want is for my cruise to have to end prematurely because unvaccinated guests tested positive returning from a port.

Or a vaccinated guest tests positive.

I work in a large hospital. They have shared with us the stats on fully vaccinated employees becoming infected with covid. So far, 50 employees who were fully vaccinated have later tested positive for covid. That sounds like a lot until they give the total # of employees that were vaccinated which was approximately 24,000.
That equates to 0.2% which is much lower than the 5% originally cited by Pfizer and Moderna.
Of those 50 employees, none had severe disease. None needed hospitalization and none died from it.
:rolleyes: While not 100% impossible, the odds of this are so, so low. Might as well buy a lottery ticket or see if you can be hit by lightning while you're at it.

I'm pretty sure 50 out of 24000 works out to greater odds than winning the lottery or getting struck by lightning.

A vaccinated person testing positive is unlikely but can and does happen with greater frequency than your 2 scenarios.

It looks like it’ll be pretty simple if they follow what the Royal and it looks like Carnival may go for unvaccinated cruises. Passengers will have two options, you volunteer your vaccine card/proof and you have one set of rules for those passengers. If you choose not to provide proof, vaccinated or not, you have another set of rules for traveling with testing and masks and such. It would be pretty easy to indicate and enforce by say color coded bands or KTTW cards that they could require everyone to display at all times outside of a cabin, or if you dont display it, you have to follow the unvaccinated rules. It Is what it is. If you want to travel on a cruise ship anytime soon, you’ll have to deal with it or wait until these rules, and hopefully the pandemic, are done and gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter