Will food delivery prompt some dine-in restaurants to drop dine-in?

I am a big fan of Uber Eats, Door Dash, Grub Hub. Every Friday night the family gets together and orders in something yummy. The delivery phenomenon is interesting to me because once upon a time, delivery and in-home services were way more common and then, basically, went out of style. When I was young the vet visited the house, doctors did make house calls, and milk was delivered to you home weekly. Oh man, I am old....

Now I get my groceries delivered (Kroger AND Whole Foods!) and my food delivered. Soon we'll have Amazon doing same day delivery in my area. I sure hope this stays popular, because the convenience is awesome :)

I am a big fan of Uber Eats, Door Dash, Grub Hub. Every Friday night the family gets together and orders in something yummy. The delivery phenomenon is interesting to me because once upon a time, delivery and in-home services were way more common and then, basically, went out of style. When I was young the vet visited the house, doctors did make house calls, and milk was delivered to you home weekly. Oh man, I am old....

Now I get my groceries delivered (Kroger AND Whole Foods!) and my food delivered. Soon we'll have Amazon doing same day delivery in my area. I sure hope this stays popular, because the convenience is awesome :)

I remember in the 1960's when Chicken Delight was big. Basically a competitor to KFC with delivery. In those days we did get milk, butter and other dairy products delivered to the house. My parents house was built in 1960, and the back door had it's own door bell with a different sound just for deliveries. Maybe we need to go back to that with all the porch pirates stealing Amazon deliveries off people's front porches.

We eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, so not sure I could do grocery delivery. I'm pretty picky about produce.

I can't remember the last time I had food delivered. Probably over 20 years ago. Three or four times a year we get take out pizza or Chinese food but I always go pick it up. Maybe I'm just to cheap to tip the delivery person.

I pick up my grocery order that I place online because the store is a one minute drive (they also deliver), but the shoppers not only pick out the best items, but will let me know if something I ordered just doesn’t look good. They also tell me if the sell by date is close, so I can decide if I want it or not. Growing up, the fruit man truck would come down the street once a week, ringing his bell, and my mom would stock up on produce.

We eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, so not sure I could do grocery delivery. I'm pretty picky about produce.

Funny that you should say this because I don't let anyone pick certain produce for me. So I will go to the Farmer's Market in the spring/summer or I make a specific trip to Fresh Market or Whole Foods to get my avocados, broccoli, beets, kale... the ones that are more challenging to get the best. I'm a vegan so I'm super picky about veggies.

Applies, cauliflower, bananas, parsnips, oranges, grapefruit... I'll get those delivered because they are generally OK.

Funny that you should say this because I don't let anyone pick certain produce for me. So I will go to the Farmer's Market in the spring/summer or I make a specific trip to Fresh Market or Whole Foods to get my avocados, broccoli, beets, kale... the ones that are more challenging to get the best. I'm a vegan so I'm super picky about veggies.

Applies, cauliflower, bananas, parsnips, oranges, grapefruit... I'll get those delivered because they are generally OK.

I eat a lot of apples and I am VERY picky about them.
My wife eats a lot of bananas, and she is picker about them than I am about apples! They have to be the exact shade of green she wants.

I don't think I have ever bought oranges. I'm in California and we have always had an orange tree in the backyard. So the first half of each year we are to our eyeballs in oranges.

Say what? You intentionally move on top of a restaurant/bar, then complain about the noise? Someone didn't do their homework - their problem!!
I was thinking of you today at lunch. Met my son and his friends at a brewery restaurant in mid-town. Right smack dab in the middle of a residential area. The brewery is relatively new. Signs all over asking patrons to limit noise out of respect for the neighbors. But in THIS case, the houses have been there since the 1940's, the restaurant a year.

@tvguy, that's totally understandable, I'd be ticked in that situation also! Surprised it passed zoning!! Did the area turn commercial?

I would think it would really depend on what type of food and how the place operates. None of the places here that serve a variety of food could I see opting to not have dine-in. Pizza for example is a type of food super easy to make no dine-in. Applebee's style place not so much.

@tvguy, that's totally understandable, I'd be ticked in that situation also! Surprised it passed zoning!! Did the area turn commercial?
Not sure what was in the spot before. Not surprising it passed zoning, that is what the city leaders are aiming for, a mix of residential/commercial in areas that have been strictly residential for 70 years.
I grew up in the suburbs, and still live in the suburbs. I like only houses around my house. So not my cup of tea.

Okay, did some digging. The location was a blueprint company for DECADES. I suspect a blueprint office is a whole lot quieter than a brewery/restaurant. Plus I suspect the blueprint company was open 40 hours a week, the brewery/restaurant is open 66 hours a week, until 10 pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter