Will guest experience suffer on the first sailings?

We enjoyed the changes at Walt Disney World once it re-opened, rather than the facets that were different that we missed. It was our experience that although we missed pre-closure comfort, some of the new restrictions made us feel more comfortable. For instance I was never comfortable with having people right up against us in lines. Although Physical distancing lifted, We now have means to have neighboring groups keep a distance.

I think my biggest concern is that they won't make those guidelines known before final payment is due. I'm fine making a decision if it's "worth it" to me or not to sail, but in order to do that, guests need to have all the information before the decision is made. I think it's completely unfair to have us make an nonrefundable final payment and then AFTER that tell us that they won't be providing XYZ cruise experiences.

I also realize it's a fluid situation and some things might change after those announcements are made which require changing the previously stated requirements. But, if that's the case, then I think guests should have an additional 7 days after those revised requirements to get a complete refund, including deposits, even if it's after the "paid in full" date. I know it's probably all "legally" covered in the cruise contract we agree to that they can make these changes, but this is more of a customer service issue and realizing that DCL does charge more for their product and that alienating customers is never a good idea.

I agree. I think those first few siblings might be caught by surprise if guidelines are not posted well in advance (which I feel like they won’t be). I assume it will be much like Disney world where your experience with guidelines and protocols and change rapidly, even the day before your trip.

I think unless you are okay with spending the money and having the most extreme protocols and potential learning curve and adjustments with new crew, the first few months of sailing will not give you the experience you are looking for!

Im sure that DCL will come up with a somewhat flexible policy as they have been doing for cruises regarding this. They want to make money, but they don’t want to lose loyal customers. Disney is usually known for their excellent customer service and I’m sure the return to cruising will be no exception!

I think it depends a lot. I just got off of the Celebrity Edge's June 26th sailing (the first sailing from the US) and I have to say that it was easily the best cruise I have ever been on. The enthusiasm from the crew, from bow to stern, was overwhelming. There were a few things that weren't as smooth as they will be on later sailings (a few people complained that pacing in the dining rooms was a bit off), but generally speaking while we were on the ship the only really visible differences were that the crew was wearing masks, and they served us at the buffet. It just felt incredibly normal, but with 60% fewer passengers.

Having said that, our sailing was 98% vaccinated, so protocols were a bit different than they would be for Disney. While the CSO may not be regulatory after July 18th, I don't think any cruise line will voluntarily open themselves up to the liability that would come with sailing contrary to CDC guidance. (And I fully expect the CDC to release a revised set of regulations before Disney sails.) I think that the protocols for Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas are illustrative of what path Disney might take ... they represent a fairly normal experience for vaccinated passengers, but tighter protocols and restrictions for those who aren't: https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cr...als-protocols-for-unvaccinated-travelers.html

The other thing I'll mention is that protocols in different ports of call are constantly changing, so no matter what I wouldn't sail on an early sailing unless I was willing to deal with changing plans. 3 days before our sailing we were told that we would only be allowed to leave the ship in Mexico on a Celebrity-arranged tour, then the day before we docked in Costa Maya they told us that we could explore on our own there, but we'd still be restricted in Cozumel. So it's not just the days leading up to the cruise when things are changing.

I think it depends a lot. I just got off of the Celebrity Edge's June 26th sailing (the first sailing from the US) and I have to say that it was easily the best cruise I have ever been on. The enthusiasm from the crew, from bow to stern, was overwhelming. There were a few things that weren't as smooth as they will be on later sailings (a few people complained that pacing in the dining rooms was a bit off), but generally speaking while we were on the ship the only really visible differences were that the crew was wearing masks, and they served us at the buffet. It just felt incredibly normal, but with 60% fewer passengers.

Having said that, our sailing was 98% vaccinated, so protocols were a bit different than they would be for Disney. While the CSO may not be regulatory after July 18th, I don't think any cruise line will voluntarily open themselves up to the liability that would come with sailing contrary to CDC guidance. (And I fully expect the CDC to release a revised set of regulations before Disney sails.) I think that the protocols for Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas are illustrative of what path Disney might take ... they represent a fairly normal experience for vaccinated passengers, but tighter protocols and restrictions for those who aren't: https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cr...als-protocols-for-unvaccinated-travelers.html

The other thing I'll mention is that protocols in different ports of call are constantly changing, so no matter what I wouldn't sail on an early sailing unless I was willing to deal with changing plans. 3 days before our sailing we were told that we would only be allowed to leave the ship in Mexico on a Celebrity-arranged tour, then the day before we docked in Costa Maya they told us that we could explore on our own there, but we'd still be restricted in Cozumel. So it's not just the days leading up to the cruise when things are changing.
Hopefully they do something similar to what msc is doing. I’m not sure Disney will go the route of segregation and treating unvaccinated people like lepers, but who knows at this point.

I found videos a couple made on that cruise and it looks amazing. They have just about convinced me to book it if the 8/9 Dream gets canceled. DH is ready to jump ship now, he was so impressed! And I should add we are die hard DCL fans so getting us to even consider that is huge. ;)

I found videos a couple made on that cruise and it looks amazing. They have just about convinced me to book it if the 8/9 Dream gets canceled. DH is ready to jump ship now, he was so impressed! And I should add we are die hard DCL fans so getting us to even consider that is huge. ;)
I have been on Celebrity, on a cruise around the Horn of South America, and thought the cruising experience was excellent! It was on the Celebrity Equinox.

DCL doesn’t have the ships to do cruises like that one, so we have to branch out.

I have some concerns about the cruise experience suffering with my upcoming DCL cruise but I knew this before I booked. I had hoped that that there would have been a dozen or more cruises before my cruise sailed but with the last batch of cancellations they are only two or three cruises before my cruise is scheduled. I could always cancel and reschedule but I’m so eager to cruise I’ll take my chances.

Hopefully they do something similar to what msc is doing. I’m not sure Disney will go the route of segregation and treating unvaccinated people like lepers, but who knows at this point.

If they chose to go the MSC route, we would definitely cancel. I'm sure there are other folks that would definitely sail. I'm certain Disney is looking at loss of revenue vs. potential liability when making those decisions.

I think it depends a lot. I just got off of the Celebrity Edge's June 26th sailing (the first sailing from the US) and I have to say that it was easily the best cruise I have ever been on.

I followed your cruise closely - and enjoyed watching your sail away with a beverage in hand! That is exactly the cruise experience we are looking for. I asked my TA to price EDGE for late September/early October in a sky suite to replace our currently booked DCL Western in concierge. I do not want to pay DCL concierge prices for a reduced experience. I don't want to jump ship, but I think we have a good chance of being cancelled or being one of the first to sail with significant restrictions. I'm glad to hear you had a great time on EDGE - it would be our first Celebrity cruise (after 20 with DCL) but I'm just not getting a good feeling about Disney cruising right now.

If they chose to go the MSC route, we would definitely cancel. I'm sure there are other folks that would definitely sail. I'm certain Disney is looking at loss of revenue vs. potential liability when making those decisions.

I followed your cruise closely - and enjoyed watching your sail away with a beverage in hand! That is exactly the cruise experience we are looking for. I asked my TA to price EDGE for late September/early October in a sky suite to replace our currently booked DCL Western in concierge. I do not want to pay DCL concierge prices for a reduced experience. I don't want to jump ship, but I think we have a good chance of being cancelled or being one of the first to sail with significant restrictions. I'm glad to hear you had a great time on EDGE - it would be our first Celebrity cruise (after 20 with DCL) but I'm just not getting a good feeling about Disney cruising right now.
Either way your going to have people that won’t sail. A lot of people aren’t going to get their young children or teens vaccinated just for a cruise so that is something that is maybe unique to Disney. In my opinion nothing the cruiselines are doing is sustainable long term.
Most people can live without cruising. It’s just the diehards that are willing to put up with all this.

I booked a cruise for latter this year, but wether we actually go through with it is another story.

As someone you used to cruise three times a year I’m finding I don’t really miss it anymore. Life goes on. One door shuts another opens.

What percentage of kids do you think were on? I want to go on a 98 percent vaccinated cruise.
I don't know much about Celebrity. Isn't the edge a new ship? Would there be enough for teens to
do? Would you go again?

Do you have a trip report somewhere? thanks!

I really think you answered your own question. If you disliked having an altered experience at the resort, I imagine you'd also be bummed out by an altered experience on the cruise.

It doesn't mean others might not go and have a great time. But others went to WDW when the most vigorous restrictions were in place and had a great time there, too. It just comes down to personal preference. :)

My family preferred not to deal with restrictions at WDW, so we cancelled our 2020 trip and are patiently waiting for the experience to be more of what we want to see when we're there. And we'll handle cruises in the same way. When they are back to "normal" or at a their "new normal", that's when we'll opt to sail. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I really think you answered your own question. If you disliked having an altered experience at the resort, I imagine you'd also be bummed out by an altered experience on the cruise.

It doesn't mean others might not go and have a great time. But others went to WDW when the most vigorous restrictions were in place and had a great time there, too. It just comes down to personal preference. :)

My family preferred not to deal with restrictions at WDW, so we cancelled our 2020 trip and are patiently waiting for the experience to be more of what we want to see when we're there. And we'll handle cruises in the same way. When they are back to "normal" or at a their "new normal", that's when we'll opt to sail. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide!
We went to WDW a month after reopening. It was the best trip ever. There is a lot to be said for lower crowds. I would gladly where a mask again for a week to repeat that experience.
I am more apt to wait for cruising to return to normal before I cruise again. That’s mainly because the requirements are more invasive then simply wearing a mask.

Everyone is going to have their own comfort level on this one. Some people hate masks so much, having to wear one at all is a deal breaker. Some people wear them all day long, no big deal.

I have read numerous liveblogs from people who just got off the Freedom OTS (Royal's first ship out of FL) and they all seem to indicate that the mask wearing was not that intrusive. Mostly wearing down hallways and in open spaces, but not in bars or restaurants. General consensus I read was that people just didn't even think or care about wearing them. Of course, they knew what they were getting into and complied with rules. I think the most important thing here is to know what the rules are, what you are comfortable doing, and plan accordingly.

I think part of this might depend on WHEN the first sailing occurs.... for instance, if I was on one of those August/September cruises and was asked to wear a mask, I'd probably sail and deal with it and won't really think much of it....but if DCL doesn't resume sailing until Nov, Dec, or even 2022 and I'm being asked to wear a mask - having NOT worn one anywhere else for months - that would seem like much more of an imposition and more likely to upset my cruise experience...

This was our first Celebrity cruise--we almost always cruise DCL, with a little bit of Royal Caribbean mixed in. We liked it so much that we just booked a second October 9th sailing on the Edge to replace our September 26th Wonder sailing that we're almost certain will be canceled. The Sky Suites are really nice--I thought they'd be similar in size to Concierge rooms on DCL, but mine felt significantly more roomy (and the bathroom is fantastic given the price). And Celebrity has a lot more amenities that are exclusive suite guests. Everyone does seem to complain about infinite verandas, though, so be sure to book accordingly if it matters to you (we were in a S1 Sky Suite in an aft corner with a proper veranda and we have nothing bad to say about it).

This was our first Celebrity cruise--we almost always cruise DCL, with a little bit of Royal Caribbean mixed in. We liked it so much that we just booked a second October 9th sailing on the Edge to replace our September 26th Wonder sailing that we're almost certain will be canceled. The Sky Suites are really nice--I thought they'd be similar in size to Concierge rooms on DCL, but mine felt significantly more roomy (and the bathroom is fantastic given the price). And Celebrity has a lot more amenities that are exclusive suite guests. Everyone does seem to complain about infinite verandas, though, so be sure to book accordingly if it matters to you (we were in a S1 Sky Suite in an aft corner with a proper veranda and we have nothing bad to say about it).

What are the complaints on the infinite balcony? The people in the videos I saw had one and loved it.

I think part of this might depend on WHEN the first sailing occurs.... for instance, if I was on one of those August/September cruises and was asked to wear a mask, I'd probably sail and deal with it and won't really think much of it....but if DCL doesn't resume sailing until Nov, Dec, or even 2022 and I'm being asked to wear a mask - having NOT worn one anywhere else for months - that would seem like much more of an imposition and more likely to upset my cruise experience...
I haven’t worn a mask in months. We’re going to Disneyland next month and I was happy to see the mask requirements are gone. That being said a mask requirement indoors would not be a deal breaker for me. I still see people wearing them in stores even though they are not required.

What are the complaints on the infinite balcony? The people in the videos I saw had one and loved it.

I would like to know this myself because the balcony looks really cool. I did read on Cruise critic several
who hated it because when you open the window the air turns off and also some mentioned the light
that comes in. Meaning if one wants to go sit in the morning to have coffee while your partner is sleeping
the cabin fills with light. No curtain to block. I love the way it makes the cabin look roomier though.

I have to admit just now I was watching a video of Celebrity Edge sailing and seeing all those people
maskless gave me some anxiety. I still wear mine even though I don't have to. I'm taking baby steps
to get use to going without it. I swear i feel like it is part of my wardrobe now.:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter