• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will housekeeping at POFQ let me borrow vacume for vacume travel bags?

fairytalelover

DIS Veteran
I want to pack using those vacume travel bags, will housekeeping let me borrow one to repack at the end of my stay?

I'd check to make sure they even have vacuums' with the hose attachment! I use the compression travel bags, that don't require a vacuum, you just roll the bag and the air comes out the other end.. works great! - Almost better than the vacuum ones.

As pp says, the compression bags for travel that I have been using for many years, don't require a vaccuum, you either roll them up, or you can sit, or lay on them to get the air out. Actually I don't even use those any more, I find packing cubes to work better for me.

Call maintenance and ask to borrow a shop vac. I called once to borrow a set of tools. They were more than happy to help.

I haven't heard of housekeeping doing this. They're on a tight schedule, trying to get rooms cleaned, so I doubt they'd have time to.

The PP is right, though, the compression bags that you need to use a vacuum with are meant for storing stuff at home. The ones that are sold for travel use don't need a vacuum. Like these:

Space Saver Compression Bags 10-Pack for Packing and Storage

Hmm. I was intrigued but that particular item scores an F on fakespot.com for fake reviews.

Does anyone have a specific brand they recommend? I'd like to try the compression ones out.

Hmm. I was intrigued but that particular item scores an F on fakespot.com for fake reviews.

Does anyone have a specific brand they recommend? I'd like to try the compression ones out.

The brand name of the ones I have used for years are Pack~Mate brand. I've had them for many years, so don't know if the brand is still sold.

We have Ziploc brand ones which I believe I got at Bed Bath & Beyond. They are good and truly do get out all the air. But for packing, I agree with a PP that packing cubes work better for us. I have a set from eBags that I love.

Packing cubes are rectangular zippered bags made of a light weight nylon like material. They come in various sizes. I find they keep me organized, and i think they also compress clothing. I started using them because we took a touring trip earlier this year where we were going to be in a different hotel every night, no chance to unpack every night. I didn't feel like the compression bags would work for me, because probably what i wanted would be at the bottom of the bag. With the packing cubes, I would take the clothing I was going to wear the next day out the night before, and put the clothing that I had worn back in the appropriate cube and put the cube back in the suitcase. I feel that if something is too dirty to put next to clean clothing, I carry small plastic bags that I can re-roll the clothing, then put it in the plastic bag and put it back in the cube.

I put slacks/capris in one cube, tops in another, underwear in a smaller one and then I have one with all my device cords and chargers. Now I use the packing cubes even when we go to Disney and are staying for multiple nights. I simply take the cubes out of the suitcase and put them in drawers, and take out the clothing and replace as needed. Then when its time to pack for home, I just have to put the cubes in the suitcase and I'm packed.

I will say that packing cubes will not work for really bulky clothing like coats, but we live in Florida and very seldom go anywhere that we have to pack much more than a light coat, if even that.

There are good videos on You-tube about using packing cubes, just do a search.

Last edited:

Oops, sorry, my bad. I just picked the first one I saw on Amazon, as an example of compression bags. It wasn't meant as an endorsement. :)

In addition to PPs points about packing cubes, we also found that if we roll the clothes and put them in packing cubes, it keeps them from moving around so they don't get quite as wrinkled. It's also nice because when we get to the resort, we just pull out the packing cubes and throw them in drawers - very little unpacking.

I can't find the exact packing cubes I have, as I bought them many years ago. But they're similar to this:

eBags Packing Cube - medium

Just a zippered fabric container with a mesh top. I like them for keeping small items together in the suitcase. Undies, socks, tech items like cables, that sort of thing.

Oops, sorry, my bad. I just picked the first one I saw on Amazon, as an example of compression bags. It wasn't meant as an endorsement. :)

Nah, I didn't think so, I think you said 'like these' in your OP.

It seems like reviews are all over the place even on the name-brand ones. I'm one of those people who has used the Space bags (bought by Ziploc I guess) that you do use with a vacuum, and I have a pretty high failure rate on them. I guess these things are just hit and miss.

Nah, I didn't think so, I think you said 'like these' in your OP.

It seems like reviews are all over the place even on the name-brand ones. I'm one of those people who has used the Space bags (bought by Ziploc I guess) that you do use with a vacuum, and I have a pretty high failure rate on them. I guess these things are just hit and miss.

Ziploc makes compression ones that you roll also. It has a large bottom portion with a vent that you can hear the air going out of as you roll it. We found they work really well, but just prefer the packing cube method.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter