Will I be disappointed by Disneyland/DCA?

Habitual WDW visitors, but my DH really wants to do something new. He is suggesting Disneyland. Will we find it horribly disappointing compared to WDW? My DH is looking for something a little more low key. I prefer to be entertained. Anyone have thoughts?
I wanted to see Walt’s park before going in 2016. I was worried though id be bored. I was surprisingly amazed by both DCA and DL. I absolutely love both and while I’ll never give up WDW, I really almost prefer DLR now. It’s so easy to navigate- easy to park hop, easy to get to your hotel etc. despite the fact I could save a fortune by staying at a motel on Harbor, I’ve stayed at the Disneyland Hotel both times and that allows me to stay in the bubble. Walking from DH through downtown Disney to the parks, you can’t tell you’re in the middle of Anaheim. Go and have a fun trip to Disneyland Resort. You can always go back to WDW next time, right? Be sure to hit up the rides that are either totally unique (like Webslingers and Indiana Jones) or different than the version at WDW (like haunted mansion and space mountain).

We are regular WDW visitors (we are much closer to WDW than DL). We have been to DL/DCA twice and loved it! It is smaller but that is kind of nice! We stayed in a motel just across a red light/crosswalk from the entrance for about the cost of a WDW value, and were able to just walk over and walk back whenever we wanted. It was glorious! Haven't been since 2016 so take that for what it's worth. I'm trying to think of what I liked better. Most rides that WDW also has, are better at DL. Take Pirates for instance. And Carsland? AMAZING. Fantasmic was better at DL. We also really enjoyed World of Color. I actually plan for our next Disney trip to be DL, we miss it!
Edit: I think the lack of humidity was the best part!

Last edited:
They both have their own charm. DL is smaller and has attractions that WDW doesn't have. Some of the rides at DL are MUCH better than WDW. If you are there around Christmas, they have an amazing overlay for Haunted Mansion and Its A Small World. Love being able to walk a short distance to get to another park.

After 20+ trips to WDW, finally visited DL & DCA in 2018 as part of a California vacation. Our expectations were greatly exceeded.

There were so many things Wife and I liked. Of course being in Walt's park and seeing retired attractions from WDW we liked and expected. The convenience of getting everywhere by walking was something I hadn't previously considered but can't understate how less stressful that was. (DL, DCA, Downtown Disney, and our hotel were are all minutes from each other.)

But what surprised us most was that several DL/DCA rides were notably better than their WDW versions, including Pirates, Small World, and Space Mountain (Hyperspace Mountain!). Indiana Jones Adventure is better than Dinosaur; Radiator Springs Racers is better than Test Track. And then there are several rides that aren't in WDW at all. There were a couple rides that we did like better in WDW, namely Splash Mountain (although I guess that is moot now) and TOT (rethemed Guardians Breakout- fun but not the same). There are also more unique dining options in DW, although we ate at Blue Bayou and loved it.

Yes, the castle is smaller, but the entire park area is smaller, so it seemed appropriate as everything felt more intimate and personal. (You can walk inside the castle, which was cool.) Characters just appeared; we saw Alice and Mad Hatter get on the teacups with a little girl. The night show in DCA, World of Color, was among the best Disney night shows we've seen. As this was pre-COVID, we loved MaxPass and preferred it to FP+ (and prefer it to Genie+, but what's done is done there); you even got all photopass photos with it!

Also, the weather was beautiful and the parks were not very crowded, although this might have been due to when we were there (September, during the week- loved the Halloween overlay). We were there two days and enjoyed it so much we returned the following September, stayed three days, and had even more fun. Haven't been back there since COVID, but from what I saw I'd highly recommend a 2-3 day trip.

Last edited:
including Pirates, Small World, and Space Mountain (Hyperspace Mountain!). Indiana Jones Adventure is better than Dinosaur; Radiator Springs Racers is better than Test Track. And then there are several rides that aren't in DW at all.
Completely agree. Love the bayou scene for pirates as well as the restaurant there. While we enjoy both, Indiana Jones just seems like an entirely different ride than Dinosaur. And Radiator Springs is so much better than Test Track.
We haven't been back to do the re-themed GotG ride.

Completely agree. Love the bayou scene for pirates as well as the restaurant there. While we enjoy both, Indiana Jones just seems like an entirely different ride than Dinosaur. And Radiator Springs is so much better than Test Track.
We haven't been back to do the re-themed GotG ride.
Exactly. Dinosaur is a joke. Test Track garbage. I want to go on a ride. Not visit a Chevrolet showroom.

Just want to comment on the food as a DLR local and frequent WDW visitor. I find that quick service is better at DLR as there is a bit more variety and with the convenient ease of park hopping it’s easy to get what you want. WDW has good quick service options at Epcot and AK but the menus at DHS and MK leave a lot to be desired. Table service is far better at WDW and there are obviously way more options.

Just want to comment on the food as a DLR local and frequent WDW visitor. I find that quick service is better at DLR as there is a bit more variety and with the convenient ease of park hopping it’s easy to get what you want. WDW has good quick service options at Epcot and AK but the menus at DHS and MK leave a lot to be desired. Table service is far better at WDW and there are obviously way more options.
This 100% for us. I could never eat CS at WDW for a week, but I could easily do it at DLR. The only disagreement I have with this post, is we don't even think the CS at EPCOT is very good except for when there are festival booths. The table service at DLR is limited and in several places mediocre (Blue Bayou I'm talking to you), but you have so many good CS options (no doubt due to the local crowd) that you would be fine even if you booked no TS.

I've been going to WDW since 1984 - "fanatic" is applicable - and have now been to DL/DCA three times since 2019, my first visit. I absolutely love both and fell in love with DL/DCA on my first day.

They are very different experiences, though, regardless of how many similar rides there are between them. The entire trip experience is different due to there only being two parks, but both - plus Downtown Disney and the hotels - are all walking distance from each other.

Getting to the parks for rope drop is a breeze. Park hopping is a breeze. Running back to the hotel for a break in the middle of the day, then getting back to both parks literally in a matter of minutes, is almost unbelievable after a lifetime of WDW trips. Hop a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and that's the last vehicle you'll have to get in until you're heading back to the airport - car, boat, monorail, tram, or otherwise. If you happen to have small kids, it's a game-changer for where I want to bring them as a baby/toddler/pre-school age. I love bringing my kids to WDW, but it's such a hassle when they're little, especially when still in diapers and all that.

That said, I would personally always book shorter DL trips and longer WDW trips. I can't imagine spending a full week only visiting DL/DCA and staying on property, but sometimes that week isn't long enough on a WDW trip.

Last edited:
Habitual WDW visitors, but my DH really wants to do something new. He is suggesting Disneyland. Will we find it horribly disappointing compared to WDW? My DH is looking for something a little more low key. I prefer to be entertained. Anyone have thoughts?
Well, um, yeah. When I lived on the east coast & went to WDW once or twice per year, I tried Disneyland for something different & we met A LOT of people who agreed that it's not the same. You sort of have to whisper it because SoCalers are rabid about Disneyland! lol

WDW is where you go to be completey immersed from the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep. Disneyland is where you go for day trip if you live in the area. It is super-crowded all the time & even the walkways are narrower. My mom & I were shocked at how small the castle looked. There are a few lovely things, like New Orleans Square, but I like WDW better.

But, you know, it's Disney & if you love Disney you will at least LIKE Disneyland very much! So if he wants to go, go! Just manage your expectations & find the joy that IS there.

I think you’ll love it. I agree with everyone’s commentary thus far! It’s different, and in many ways a much better experience.

Besides all the nostalgia, you have radiator springs, marvel campus (catch the Dr Strange show if you can), WOC, pirates is way better!

The parks are small, but don’t think that’s a downsize or a disappointment at all…IMO gives you a better opportunity to enjoy the park as much as the rides. Add the hopper. It’s 5 minutes between parks.

I would consider myself habitual too! I’m in WDW parks 3-5 times a week. I never once felt disappointed at DL

I think you’ll have a blast. You should go! Nothing to lose and everything to gain

I've been going to WDW since 1984 - "fanatic" is applicable - absolutely love both and fell in love with DL/DCA on my first day.

Getting to the parks for rope drop is a breeze. Park hopping is a breeze. Running back to the hotel for a break in the middle of the day, then getting back to both parks literally in a matter of minutes, is almost unbelievable after a lifetime of WDW trips.

That said, I would personally always book shorter DL trips
This, this and this!

I think it was Len Testa that said something along the lines of the perfect short Disney vacation was DL/DCA and the perfect long Disney vacation was WDW.
Note that the nights are usually much cooler in CA than FL, but you can easily walk back to onsite hotels for a jacket.

After 30 some visits to WDW I tried my first visit to Disneyland and California Adventure as an adult and definitely enjoyed the parks. DS wanted to see these parks and Hollywood / LA, so we did a mini trip. Note: I was in Disneyland back in 1964 too when I was four, but don't remember much from that.

The Disneyland park is really similar to the Magic Kingdom (I love them both), but I actually preferred the Disneyland park. My son did too. It was just so charming (had more of a fairytale land feel than the Magic Kingdom). Also (and we went at a low season time - January), there was a different vibe with lots of locals. I didn't see any meltdowns with exhausted kids and stressed out parent almost saying you will have a good time given how much we are spending on this trip. Rather I saw people who probably have season passes catering to what their darling little kiddos felt like doing. It was just so refreshing to see that. The California Adventure park was fine, but IMHO not as good as Epcot, Hollywood Studios, or Animal Kingdom.

We stayed offsite, but walking distance to the parks. It was really convenient / easy. As you don't need as much time to cover parks as you do in Orlando (we spent three night / two days and that worked well for us. We made it a split trip, spending some time in Hollywood / LA to see a few things there before going to Anaheim.

As much as I loved the Disneyland park, the Magic Kingdom is very similar and it's just so much more economical for me to go to Orlando (air and offsite accommodations), so I doubt I'll be back. Being able to stay offsite and walk to the parks is nice in Anaheim. The offsite accommodations were nothing all that great (clean but dated hotel type accommodations - a little shabby), but worked fine for a short stay. It's novel to be able to walk over, so I'd recommend doing something walking distance there and that does help make it feel pretty low key just to walk over and back anytime you want. In Orlando, though, you can stay in such nice updated condo offsite accommodations for such a great price, but you do need a car or need to do uber / lyft. And the condo rentals in Orlando are less money than the dated hotels in California. So they are just different types of vacations.

I honestly think you will enjoy doing the California parks and not be disappointed. The parks are really nice and enough different that it's really fun for a Disney fan to see similarities and differences. We think it was well worth making the trip. It does feel like a more low key experience too which is what you are looking for.

Next up for us: Disneyland Paris in September. I think we will enjoy that a ton too just like Disneyland California.

Again for us these one offs are super fun, but more a one time thing as they are way more expensive to get to. We living in the Midwest in the US have easy quick inexpensive direct flights to Orlando and relatives who live in Orlando too, making WDW a no brainer for where to most often go for a Disney fix. But Viva la difference -- tons of fun for the Disney fan to check out the other parks.

Last edited:
My family went in 2021 and we had so much fun. It’s different, but still Disney. we loved comparing the rides between the two parks.
the only “disappointing“ thing was the castle! We were not prepared for how small it was 😂
and still being in east coast time was a huge perk for rope drop!

Rather than compare WDW to DL/DCA, I more or less compare specifically MK to DL, in which case (for me) DL wins hands down. Fantasyland has so much more charm, the duplicate rides are superior, and the entire park seems unique and quaint. Yes the castle is smaller, but to me it's the OG castle so there's major history that adds to the gravitas of the park icon. To me, DL puts MK to shame. DCA is a super fun park with some great attractions, but it's also really small. While we would prefer to travel to WDW as a whole (we absolutely love EPCOT and AK), if I had to choose between a day at MK or a day at DL, I would pick DL without pause.

You will only be disappointed if you expect it to be a certain way and it isn't that. Just go into it with an open heart and mind, no expectations, and you will absolutely love it.

I grew up on DLR but have been to WDW a few times. They’re fairly different experiences (though both are still Disney) and both have their pros and cons. I think you’ll have a blast.

The differences are too much to list, but to sum it up:

Attraction wise, the “ride” count is actually pretty similar between the two when you add it all up. Generally the “clone” rides are better at DLR than WDW with a couple exceptions. WDW has a couple more unique E tickets to offset that. Overall, if you imagine MK, DHS, and Future World all in one large park, that’s basically the DLR attraction list, plus a few extra unique rides. Because the rides are so much more condensed, I find the lines are usually shorter in DLR even if it feels more crowded physically.

Theming and park wise, DLR is definitely smaller and so has a bit less area to explore, but what is there is generally really well done and has a charm that I think WDW lacks. On the other hand, DLR doesn’t have anything like AK or World Showcase, which are my favorite parts of WDW. As a result, even though the ride counts are similar, it takes less time to “do” DLR, as there’s less non-ride stuff. Overall I think a 3 day trip is sufficient for DLR whereas for WDW I usually want a full 5-6 days.

The resorts/hotels at DLR are clearly less elaborate, with less to do. Even at GCH, I wouldn’t look to do a “resort day” in the way you can at WDW. There aren’t waterparks or mini golf, etc. But the flip side to that is getting around is SOOO much easier at DLR. You just walk everywhere. Saves so much time. Non bus transportation at WDW is kind of fun, but can be a drag when you’re tired. DLR you just walk everywhere in 10 minutes. And park hopping is such a breeze you can just think of it as one large park.

Food wise, DLR has some good QS options in particular but can’t hold a candle to WDW in terms of Table Service. The flip side to that again is that you can really just show up to DLR with no plan and be fine… you don’t have to have ADRs and plan out your park days like WDW.

I love both, and think you will too.

DLR is a must for any Disney fan. We used to alternate between WDW and DLR from one year to the next, but started going to WDW every year because that was the resort that was adding new lands (Pandora, Toy Story Land, then Star Wars). But DLR offers many attractions and lands not available at WDW, plus some superior versions, like Pirates. And Disneyland itself cranks the charm up to 11.
Five days is a minimum for DLR. Unfortunately, the longest ticket they sell is a five day park hopper. If you can afford the extra expense, I think it would be worth it to do six or seven days. Even after five full park days, we always missed something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter