Will I ever actually get there??? A first-time trip to WDW (3/10 - 3/16 2024)

This is such a bummer to read about! We flew out on the 9th and our pilots also blamed our delay on air traffic control & staffing issues. They also told us that most flights to Orlando were similarly delayed and so we were waiting in a line of others waiting to take off. We were lucky we were only delayed a little over 2 hours.
I'm glad your flight made it in with only the 2 hour delay! That in and of itself must of been frustrating too.

I'm so sorry about your delays. You would think that Southwest would get their act together after last Christmas. I fly them all the time but, if I can drive it, I now drive instead of fly. I'm headed to Disney in 2 weeks for a wedding and my birthday. It's a 10.5 hour drive but I'd rather do that then take a chance on Southwest having a meltdown again.

Great report. Sorry for your delay. I can’t wait to read more.
I was supposed to fly home from Orlando on March 10, and because of “crew schedule problems” I couldn’t get home till a day and a half later. Luckily I was notified before I went to the airport, so I just stayed at Disney World another night. I’m waiting to get a check in the mail from the airline for this extra night at their “Orlando rate”. I have no idea what the amount will be, but whatever it is, I’m going to buy a Disney gift card with it!

I'm so sorry about your delays. You would think that Southwest would get their act together after last Christmas. I fly them all the time but, if I can drive it, I now drive instead of fly. I'm headed to Disney in 2 weeks for a wedding and my birthday. It's a 10.5 hour drive but I'd rather do that then take a chance on Southwest having a meltdown again.
I flew Southwest last summer with 6 flights so no problems, so was also hoping they had their act together.....Guess I found out the hard way they didn't. It seems like they are having a lot of difficulty in/out of Orlando! Sorry for such a long drive, but at least you know you will get there on your planned schedule! I realized today when sharing with a friend what happened on my trip, I could have actually driven to Florida faster than my travel trip....and the drive would be a 20 hour drive! Wedding and birthday are both great things to celebrate at WDW!!

Great report. Sorry for your delay. I can’t wait to read more.
I was supposed to fly home from Orlando on March 10, and because of “crew schedule problems” I couldn’t get home till a day and a half later. Luckily I was notified before I went to the airport, so I just stayed at Disney World another night. I’m waiting to get a check in the mail from the airline for this extra night at their “Orlando rate”. I have no idea what the amount will be, but whatever it is, I’m going to buy a Disney gift card with it!
I think we may have gotten caught by the same travel snafus - my flight there was on the 10th. Glad you got an extra Disney day out of it, especially if the airline refunds your hotel!! (albeit also still frustrating for plans traveling and getting back home)

4b. Day 2: Travel day/Disney Springs:
I had heard that the boat ride from POFQ to DS was quiet and relaxing. I love being on the water and am excited to take the boat. However, it is NOT quiet – the engines are extremely loud and reverberate throughout the boat. I still enjoy being on the water but I wouldn’t describe it as relaxing. It is dusk/dark as we approach Disney springs, and I can see the Lego store from the dock!! I'm a huge Lego fan and I enjoy building as a hobby.

I disembark and head to the store to take pictures of the builds outside. There is a long line so I elect not to go in - I really don't need more Legos, I have plenty waiting to be built at home. My favorite model outside is the sea monster!

1711413610846.png

I attempt a selfie with the sea monster. It is not the most flattering, but the craziness of my hair seems to match the silliness of the sea monster's expression.

1711413749688.jpeg

I realize I need to eat dinner, but hadn’t really researched places to eat in Disney Springs since in my original plans I was only going to be here mid-afternoon and eating solely in the parks. I remembered Ann-CA on DIS wrote in a trip report about the Brussels sprouts at the Polite Pig that looked really good, so I head there to get some. They were decent, but my opinion of them was similar to how she described them – I’ve had better ones here at home. The portion size is perfect for my current amount of hunger.

After eating, I look for Gideon’s to see what all the hype is. There is no VQ and they estimate the line to be about 30 minutes. I decide to try it. The area is loud, but most of the line is next to Raglan Road and I hear Irish music, which I like. As long as the physical band doesn’t come out, I should be fine with earplugs.

I progress through the line and about 4 or 5 people from the front, I start to feel sick and realize that the music shifted to a different outside band that has loud electric bass. I always feel sick from the vibrations of this type of music when it is amplified by loudspeakers. I’m 3 from the front. Trying not to throw up. 2nd, 1st. Finally, I get waved inside, and feel immediate relief!

1711413896189.jpeg

The inside is crowded, but not loud, and the line moves quickly. When it’s my turn, I step up to the register and discover the best part of Gideon’s! There’s a little red LED line on the counter with fake “smoke” coming out of it. I put my hands over it, and the “flames” grow! I am fascinated by this and spend the whole time during my order playing with the flames. I get two cookies: a dark coffee cake and the peanut butter chocolate swirl. The cookies are giant! Despite having seen many pictures and posts of Gideon's cookies on here by DISers, you can't really comprehend the vastness and scope of the cookies until you see them in person!

It's 10 pm and time to head back to POFQ. I find the boat dock and easily catch the first boat that comes.

1711414012765.jpeg

The ride goes quickly and smoothly. I love being on the water and am glad I got a chance to take the water taxi both directions! Back in the room, I sample the two Gideon’s cookies before heading to bed. Was the wait worth it??

Yes, I would definitely wait 30 minutes in line again to experience the red flames at the cash register!!!

It's now past 11 pm and tomorrow, finally, I will get to experience my first Disney Park! I sink into exhausted oblivion.

So sorry to hear about all your delays and travel woes. Looks like you were able to recoup some of the second day!

36-hour delay, yikes! I’m so sorry that was the start to your trip. Glad things seemed to improve a bit once you finally arrived!

Joining in! What an ordeal you had with all the delays. I am happy to hear you liked POFQ as I am staying there for the first time this summer as part of a split stay. Looking forward to reading more!

Love the user name - Protector of the Small is my favorite of all her works!

It seems like Southwest has been either wonderful or terrible this year. I'm sorry you got hit with the Terribles.

So sorry to hear about all your delays and travel woes. Looks like you were able to recoup some of the second day!
Thanks! I'm glad I was at least able to do something, and the short trip to Disney Springs worked out pretty well. It was exciting to just finally get to start exploring, even if not a park yet.

36-hour delay, yikes! I’m so sorry that was the start to your trip. Glad things seemed to improve a bit once you finally arrived!
Ironically, 3 of my last 4 large trips have ended up having at least a 24 hour delay due to airline flights, with me missing out on the first day of plans. Not sure how this has started to become a trend...It was really nice when things started to finally start falling in place after the initial travel snafus.

Joining in! What an ordeal you had with all the delays. I am happy to hear you liked POFQ as I am staying there for the first time this summer as part of a split stay. Looking forward to reading more!
It was absolutely beautiful and peaceful, such a contrast to the parks. I keep wanting to go back. I hope you enjoy your trip there (and the pool refurb should be finished by the time you arrive!)

Love the user name - Protector of the Small is my favorite of all her works!

It seems like Southwest has been either wonderful or terrible this year. I'm sorry you got hit with the Terribles.
You know Tamora Pierce's books!! I read her books on repeat back when I was in high school, so it is always great to see others who know her series. Have you also explored the Circle of Magic books? Although I use Keladry as my handle, Trisana is my ultimate favorite character from both realms. Protector of the Small is some of her best work though!

Ya. Southwest. I had a great experience with them last summer, so I guess I am 50/50 with them.

"You know Tamora Pierce's books!! I read her books on repeat back when I was in high school, so it is always great to see others who know her series. Have you also explored the Circle of Magic books? Although I use Keladry as my handle, Trisana is my ultimate favorite character from both realms. Protector of the Small is some of her best work though!"

I've read everything she's published. She's one of my favorites. She's got a great FB fan group, too, with a Patreon that gets occasional updates. Sounds like she has really struggled with the second Numair book. I can't wait for it, though. The blurbs she has shared have been amazing.

Looking forward to more of your trip report!

"You know Tamora Pierce's books!! I read her books on repeat back when I was in high school, so it is always great to see others who know her series. Have you also explored the Circle of Magic books? Although I use Keladry as my handle, Trisana is my ultimate favorite character from both realms. Protector of the Small is some of her best work though!"

I've read everything she's published. She's one of my favorites. She's got a great FB fan group, too, with a Patreon that gets occasional updates. Sounds like she has really struggled with the second Numair book. I can't wait for it, though. The blurbs she has shared have been amazing.

Looking forward to more of your trip report!
I'm also in the Facebook group, and was briefly on Patreon (until I decided I wanted to wait for the last Numair book in full instead of reading snippets!). She's said for years that her next book after that will be Tris at Lightsbridge...I really hope it does eventually gets written and published! Nice to see another Tamora Pierce fan!

5. Day 3: Animal kingdom/Epcot
My first full day in Orlando finally arrives! In my original plans, I would be at Animal Kingdom all day, but because I missed out on Epcot the day before, I decide to do AK in the morning, and Epcot in the afternoon.

I’m on the fence about whether or not to ride Guardians, but decide to try for a virtual queue since I am up before 7:00.

1711907011045.png

I got group 3 :D Not sure how that happened. I don’t want to change my AK morning plans as I have DAS advance selections, so decide to play roulette that I will be allowed in the queue in the afternoon.

I’m out the door by 7:30 am. I get to the bus stop. A bus for Epcot comes and goes. Then Magic Kingdom. Then Hollywood Studios. Mine should be next!!

The second bus for Epcot comes and goes. Second Magic Kingdom bus. Second Hollywood Studios bus.

Seriously? It’s at this point that I about lose it. By this time I was supposed to have visited two theme parks, I’ve been to none. My estimated 7 hour trip from home to landing in Orlando turned into a 35+ hour trip. A supposedly easy to get Uber from the airport never showed up. I’m finally, finally, finally able to head to a park, and….there’s no bus.

Facepalm. I’m fighting tears and I don’t usually cry.

The Animal Kingdom bus finally comes. I wait over 45 minutes. A CM explains that there were mechanical problems. At least the trip goes smoothly once on the bus.

It’s 8:30 am of day 3 and I am finally entering my first theme park: Animal Kingdom

1711907089295.png

I have a 9:30 am DAS advance for the safaris. Since I’m entering the park 30 minutes after opening, I decide to avoid Pandora and head over towards Dinosaur first and grab a DAS as soon as I enter the park.

I see a wilderness explorers stand off to the right. I decide to stop. I’m handed a packet and told to repeat after the CM. The last part is to say “caw caw”. It’s fun. I feel absolutely ridiculous and break out in laughter. It’s exactly what I needed and the stress from all the travel delays melt away. I AM HERE. In Disney. Finally.

The Lightning Lane at Dinosaur is short. I get the front row. I was worried about it being too rough as it has a similar ride mechanism to Indiana Jones in DL, which I didn’t like, but I don’t have any problems with Dinosaur. I enjoy the ride!

1711907140274.png

Indiana Jones in Disneyland was a one-and-done for me. Dinosaur I would gladly ride again.

After Dinosaur I grab a DAS for Everest. This is another one I am on the fence about. In ride videos I can see it goes backwards. I’ve avoided rides that go backwards at high speed since I rode the Boomerang at Worlds of Fun a few years ago. The Boomerang pushes you backwards through a loop. I almost passed out and couldn’t breathe. I am hoping Everest will not be like this.

On the way I stop for my first Photopass photographer and get my very first magic shot! Brrrr…..

1711907187993.png

The wait for Everest is short. The backwards section is not near as bad as the Boomerang and I enjoy it. I especially enjoy the anticipation as you wait to head backwards…..when will we drop? Will I black out? Nope! Such fun.

1711906984404.png

It’s time to head over to Kilimanjaro Safaris. I realize on the way that I’ve forgotten to plan in breakfast. Oops. I don’t want to miss my time-slot, so I go ahead and get in line, but grab a breakfast bar from my bag to eat while waiting.

The wait is minimal. We are in the ride vehicle and start off. I notice that the air has turned a little warmer and more humid once we reach the animal areas. It is a bad combination with not having eaten breakfast, and I start to feel sick. I fight nausea the whole ride and am literally just counting down minutes until it is over.

There are a lot of animals to see. My favorite are the giraffes.

1711907243726.png

They decide to start walking down the road and we follow them at a slow pace for about 5 minutes.

I also see rhinos, and am sitting on the right side of the vehicle to get some good pictures.

1711907258915.png

The ride finally ends and I start to feel better once out of the vehicle and on the park sidewalks. I head towards Pandora. On the way, I see Timon and Rafiki in the water!

1711907273125.png

I wave hello and dance with them until they pass by! Once in Pandora, I head to Navi River Journey for my 10:00 am DAS advance. We briefly get stopped in the middle and I enjoy the extended time in the bio-luminescent darkness. Similar to what I’ve read from others, I find the ride to be much too short and am glad I didn’t have a long wait with the DAS. At least I got extra time inside!

I really need to eat now. It’s about 11:00am. I go to Satuli Canteen and order in person. I was going to mobile order, but I want the kids chicken bowl with a sauce, and there is no option to add sauce online. I am early for lunch and there is no line. I get the kid’s chicken bowl, and order the Metkayina Mousse for dessert. I am lucky to find a quiet table in the corner.

The view from my table:

1711907336595.png

1711907348745.png
I love the design and creativity of the metkayina mousse. I usually don't order fancy desserts and am glad I gave this one a try!

The kids portion is smaller than I expected, but it leaves me room to enjoy the mousse! The mousse is very rich, so I only eat half, and save the other half for later in a plastic bag that I brought along. It will probably get smooched, but the taste should still be fine! I really enjoy the food from here, and it ends up being my favorite thing in Animal Kingdom, and possibly my favorite food from all 4 parks!

I finish eating. I have an in-park DAS for Flight of Passage that I selected after riding Everest. I head to the lightning lane and the wait is minimal. I am on the ride!

I love this. You really feel like you are flying. It ties for me with Harry Potter Forbidden Journey at Universal, in which I especially enjoy flying on the broomstick. I do notice that the 3D effects on FoP need some work as some scenes in the ride are blurry. Still, the graphics are good and almost 360 degrees. I can look up, down, around and to the sides and see the whole world. Absolutely amazing and definitely a ride I would go on over and over again.

*photo limit. Continued in the next post!

5b. Day 3: Animal kingdom/Epcot
It’s now early afternoon, and I need to start heading out of the park for my afternoon break. I sign up for one more DAS: Meet Mickey and Minnie at Adventurers Outpost. Before leaving Pandora, I get a Pongu Lumpia, and Nightblossom drink from Pongu Pongu. The Pongu Lumpia is ok, but I dislike the Nightblossom. There’s something in the taste that really turns me off. Still, I drink it as it is a cool drink on a hot day.

I meander towards the meet and greet, stopping at as many photopass photographers as I can find. I get a couple of nice magic shots in front of the Tree of Life.

1711907547159.png
1711907557989.png

And then it’s time for my very first ever character meet and greet!

1711907590827.png

Even with the DAS/lightning lane, the wait is over 20 minutes, and there is a very loud wild toddler in the line right behind me :/. At one point, a CM comes in and tells the person managing the line that we (lightning lane) have all been waiting longer than everyone “over there” (implying standby). I’m not sure that’s the way it’s supposed to work….I wouldn’t have minded except for being stuck with the chaotic toddler…..that is one of the reasons I have the DAS!!

The meet and greet is fun, although I do feel a little bit awkward. Mickey sees the butterflies on my shirt, and we spend a couple of minutes catching butterflies together. I am glad to have gotten to meet Mickey, as he was my favorite character growing up!

It’s now getting very hot, crowded, and I’m overdue for a break. I head out of the park, catching one last Photopass picture on the way:

1711907723542.png

I finally connect why almost every photopass photographer had me pose in this way (animal claws….) At least I got it before leaving AK!

I head to the bus, and I am lucky – one comes right away! Have my transportation woes ended??? I get back to the resort and fall exhausted into bed for a much-needed afternoon nap.

I got group 3 :D
Wow! I hope they let you in later in the day!
The Animal Kingdom bus finally comes. I wait over 45 minutes. A CM explains that there were mechanical problems. At least the trip goes smoothly once on the bus.
Oh no, that is such a long wait! Especially after your other travel woes. I hope this was the last of really long delays for you.
I really enjoy the food from here, and it ends up being my favorite thing in Animal Kingdom, and possibly my favorite food from all 4 parks!
Satuli Canteen is my favorite QS in all the parks!

Another Tamora Pierce fan joining in! I haven't read those books in years, but man did I love them growing up. Those travel delays sound so stressful! Glad you got to have a nice day at AK tho!

Aside from the long wait for a bus, a great start to your first real day. You did a LOT!!! And, you made me think about photopass for my upcoming trip. I usually don't get it but maybe??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter