Will I need cash in the parks?

Since Disneyland has more locals, you don't notice the gift cards as much as you do in Florida, but they are the way to go!

This is just anecdotal, but to me, those gift cards process a lot faster than credit cards. It's seemingly instantaneous from when they swipe the card to the receipt popping out!

As others have mentioned, carry some spare cash for the off chance you need to purchase from an ODV cart, but for mainstream purchases, bring those gift cards.
Just be aware that if the system goes down, they will be unable to accept gift cards as well. They may still be able to process room charges if staying at a Disney hotel, but not much else other than cash.

I've only had it happen once in the last year or so, a churro cart couldn't take credit cards, so luckily I had cash. It is rare.

We like bread from the bread factory in DCA, and several times the bread cart outside the restaurant has been cash only due to the register/card reader not working.

Be sure to get nice shiny new pennies from the bank
Actually, we prefer to save all pennies we come across 1982 and older. They are 95% copper, whereas the newer looking pennies (shiney) are more zinc and don't do as well. You can clean up the copper pennies by putting them in 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 tsp salt and let them sit for about 10 mins. (Longer if needed.) Take them out, rinse, and wipe off. Using copper pennies, the zinc won't show when you press them.

My son always begs to do those pressed penny machines but I’ve resisted so far. Usually by claiming I don’t have change (which is true!). But maybe I’ll bring some this time. Lol.
How much are they?
Any particular good ones at DL?

My son always begs to do those pressed penny machines but I’ve resisted so far. Usually by claiming I don’t have change (which is true!). But maybe I’ll bring some this time. Lol.
How much are they?
Any particular good ones at DL?
51 cents for a pressed penny. There are machines for pressed nickels, dimes and quarters, but they cost more. If you do a search for "Disneyland pressed pennies" you can find charts with all of the locations and costs. There are tons of different machines with different themes and characters, so look at a chart and see what interests you and your son. We aren't on a quest to get all of the coins, we only get the ones with a particular meaning for us. Enjoy!

We're Disneyland regulars (locals) and never bring cash. I either order food via the DLR mobile app or use a Disney giftcard at carts/stores/parking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter