Will I regret going on my first WDW trip over New Years??

Listen to @yulilin3. Sage advice upthread there.

I've never been that week, but if that's the only time you can go, you should do it. Plan, plan, plan, and make sure to make your must-do FP+s at your 60-day mark. As @yulilin3 said, the parks are just beautiful at that time of year and if you go knowing it'll be crowded--and armed with a parkhopper--you should be fine.

I’ve visited Disneyland in the summer, so I have some experience in this, lol.
Was that trip worth it?

If someone were to tell you the only time they could visit Disneyland was in the thick of summer and asked you if it was worth it, what would you tell them?

I say do it! Make a plan and go for it!

My first trip was that week and I loved it. Pros: extended park hours meant lots of extra fastpasses (at MK), and time to take breaks. I was with my 7yr old daughter and I briefed her to walk fast and stay with me!

A few words of advice: bring snacks and water (lines for food were some of the worst ones), bring an external charger for your phone (it will die with long park hours), bring from home lights/glow sticks because you will be there in the dark during that time of year and you do not want to be run over by strollers all night!! (I did glow sticks from dollar store), rope drop especially the early morning hours of MK was so important!

Also because my first trip was Christmas Day crowds, I have been pleasantly surprised by anything less on following visits!

New Years, and I’d like to know if it’s worth it as this is my first trip.
I say go for it but set your expectations low because it will be crowded. My first trip was NYE 2014 we took our 9 yo twins and had a blast. I only planned 2 months out but somehow we were able to ride everything we wanted. We didn’t know any better and were park open to close, but the memories we had are still things we talk about today.

In case you didn't know this, MK does their special fireworks at 6:30pm and 11:50pm on both 12/30 and 12/31. Epcot does their special fireworks on 12/31.
That being said, I recommend watching the MK NYE fireworks on the 30th, since the 31st is absolutely insane.

Noted! Thank you both.

You’ve gotten some great responses here, so I just want to add one thing. I’ve never been those weeks, but I’ve seen pics of the “moving blobs of humans.” Since you’ve both never been, so I’m assuming not familiar with the parks, I recommend you posting a thread asking for specific recommendations on a plan for each park in case you happen to get separated. Not trying to sound all doomsday, and the CMs would eventually get you back together (saw it happen over by LM/SDMT once), but if you have a plan upfront, I think it would be less scary IF it were to happen. Heck, I worry that DH will panic if we lose him! LOL

10 is a great age for the parks...have a great trip!!

This is excellent advice, and something I hadn't even begun to think about. So thank you for putting it in the forefront of my mind! I'm hoping DD will have her own phone by then, but I definitely need a backup plan.

Last edited:
If someone were to tell you the only time they could visit Disneyland was in the thick of summer and asked you if it was worth it, what would you tell them?

I like the way you think! My response would be very similar to responses I've gotten on this thread: a trip to Disneyland in high heat/crowds is better than no trip at all, and if that is the ONLY time you can go, you should do it, but manage your expectations and soak up every second of the magic! And try to go for a few extra days if possible. :thumbsup2

A few words of advice: bring snacks and water (lines for food were some of the worst ones), bring an external charger for your phone (it will die with long park hours), bring from home lights/glow sticks because you will be there in the dark during that time of year and you do not want to be run over by strollers all night!! (I did glow sticks from dollar store), rope drop especially the early morning hours of MK was so important!

This is excellent advice! I'm pretty used to packing snacks, water, and a portable charger for our Disneyland trips, but I would have never thought of glow sticks. I've heard it gets dark earlier in December/January so I'm sure those will come in handy. Since our trip is so "short" (meaning only one day at each park) I definitely plan on rope dropping most, if not all, days. Thank you!!

I like the way you think! My response would be very similar to responses I've gotten on this thread: a trip to Disneyland in high heat/crowds is better than no trip at all, and if that is the ONLY time you can go, you should do it, but manage your expectations and soak up every second of the magic! And try to go for a few extra days if possible. :thumbsup2

This is excellent advice! I'm pretty used to packing snacks, water, and a portable charger for our Disneyland trips, but I would have never thought of glow sticks. I've heard it gets dark earlier in December/January so I'm sure those will come in handy. Since our trip is so "short" (meaning only one day at each park) I definitely plan on rope dropping most, if not all, days. Thank you!!
Also we wore pants and had shorts to change into as well as sweatshirts to put on/off as needed because the temperature change was dramatic between day and night!

It’s one of my favourite weeks to go and we never rope drop. :)

We make our 3 fp’s at each park and we have really good luck making additional fp’s at the MK. If you want counter service go for lunch as soon as places open, roughly 10:30am at most places that week. You’ll want to avoid the crowds. Trust me on this. It’s my number one piece of advice. Dinner at counter service places is usually not as crowded, as more people seem to opt for table service restaurants, but still, 4pm is also a nice, early dinner to beat the crowds if you’re in the parks.

We just did this exact trip this year. It's probably trip number 15 or 16 for me since 2007. This was the absolute busiest trip ever and we go atleast once or twice each summer, have gone during thanksgiving etc. The crowds were significant and I even said to my husband multiple times "if this is anyone's first trip they'll never come back if this is what's they think it's like."

As long as you, like others have said, rope drop, have adjusted expectations, plan alternative activities (bowling, movie explore rest of Disney springs, swim if you get a warm day we saw a few swimming each of the warmer days.) and understand it's absolutely going to be crowded, then do it but prep your daughter first as well so she doesn't expect to get everything done given the crowds.

It’s one of my favourite weeks to go and we never rope drop. :)

We make our 3 fp’s at each park and we have really good luck making additional fp’s at the MK. If you want counter service go for lunch as soon as places open, roughly 10:30am at most places that week. You’ll want to avoid the crowds. Trust me on this. It’s my number one piece of advice. Dinner at counter service places is usually not as crowded, as more people seem to opt for table service restaurants, but still, 4pm is also a nice, early dinner to beat the crowds if you’re in the parks.

Awesome advice, thank you! I typically eat a small breakfast anyway, so early lunch sounds perfect.

We just did this exact trip this year. It's probably trip number 15 or 16 for me since 2007. This was the absolute busiest trip ever and we go atleast once or twice each summer, have gone during thanksgiving etc. The crowds were significant and I even said to my husband multiple times "if this is anyone's first trip they'll never come back if this is what's they think it's like."

As long as you, like others have said, rope drop, have adjusted expectations, plan alternative activities (bowling, movie explore rest of Disney springs, swim if you get a warm day we saw a few swimming each of the warmer days.) and understand it's absolutely going to be crowded, then do it but prep your daughter first as well so she doesn't expect to get everything done given the crowds.

I will absolutely do this. DD has been on Disneyland and Universal Studios (Hollywood) trips where we haven't gotten as much done as we hoped, so she may be used to it. She is VERY excited about the resort pool, so I do hope we have a warmer day where she can do that.

Honestly, yes. You are going to regret it. I go during that week but the trips are totally different during that time. I look at people there with their 1st trip buttons and I feel very sorry for them. To be totally honest. I know there is no way they are able to do everything that could be done on a different week and I know their frustration levels have to be high. It if fun but a different kind of fun. If I wasn't also able to go multiple times at other times I wouldn't go that week

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!! as long as you have realistic expectations, it will be magical for you and your daughter! We went Christmas week for our first trip ever and it was AMAZING. We planned to get on just a few rides a day and were pleasantly surprised when we got on more but not disappointed when that was all we did! I agree with above - try to eat at off-times. We never rope drop either, however the parks were open later then (3a.m. most nights). Enjoy!! <3

I did that one year and won't do it again. A couple of days it was at capacity and they had to close the park to more visitors. Just wall to wall people.

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!! as long as you have realistic expectations, it will be magical for you and your daughter! We went Christmas week for our first trip ever and it was AMAZING. We planned to get on just a few rides a day and were pleasantly surprised when we got on more but not disappointed when that was all we did! I agree with above - try to eat at off-times. We never rope drop either, however the parks were open later then (3a.m. most nights). Enjoy!! <3
Yeah, in 2008 they did that. In 2019, not so much. MK may be open till 2:00 AM on the 30th but that's about the latest and the only day. So you can't tour during Christmas week now like you did in 2008 and get the same stuff done. It's a lot of fun but magical first trip? I don't see it. I know for certain I would not recommend it.

Though I guess you could look at it like this, those there for their first trip don't know anything else. So they won't know how much easier it could be. I suspect that the number who come away saying "I'm never going to Disney again" is higher than those who take a first trip at another time.

Can you do a summer trip? Granted, welive in FL and are used to the heat/ humidity, but I'd choose any week of summer before I'd go over the Christmas/ new year week. It's not that you *can't* have a good time, it's if it will be worth it. To me, you and your daughter won't be able to do enough to make it worth it with those crowds. I would wait until you are able to go a different week, I think you would both enjoy it much more

Honestly, yes. You are going to regret it. I go during that week but the trips are totally different during that time. I look at people there with their 1st trip buttons and I feel very sorry for them. To be totally honest. I know there is no way they are able to do everything that could be done on a different week and I know their frustration levels have to be high. It if fun but a different kind of fun. If I wasn't also able to go multiple times at other times I wouldn't go that week

I appreciate the honest feedback! I will consider this.

Can you do a summer trip?

Hmm. Possibly. I was hoping to avoid this summer, as our lease is up in June and we will be busy/possibly harder pressed for money. I may consider summer 2021 instead, especially with COVID-19 and the park closure.

Hmm. Possibly. I was hoping to avoid this summer, as our lease is up in June and we will be busy/possibly harder pressed for money. I may consider summer 2021 instead, especially with COVID-19 and the park closure.
If you are able....second to third week of August the crowds are lower and prices are also lower. All of the schools down here ha e started back by then. This would be my personal choice, but whatever you choose have a great trip with your daughter!

If you are able....second to third week of August the crowds are lower and prices are also lower. All of the schools down here ha e started back by then. This would be my personal choice, but whatever you choose have a great trip with your daughter!

Thank you so much! I was looking at summer 2020 earlier today, and couldn't believe how much cheaper the prices are than the holidays, even with a moderate resort instead of value. (I'm a WDW newbie - I'm sure this is common knowledge!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter