Will mid-day breaks work for us during Christmas week?

Disneyonmymind

DIS Veteran
I just read the long park hopping thread and I'm down with some park hopping for our Christmas Week trip. We have FD with 1 ADR per day to work around which is a bit stressful since we don't normally eat that much, lol. We have always been rope-droppers but this time staying at All-Star Sports so we will not be able go back to our resort as quickly and easily as those staying at the MK or EP resorts. We will have our car but I'm not sure if it will be better to drive it or take the buses.

That said, with the high level crowds, will it be still doable to take mid-day breaks or will we just get stuck in traffic jams? We will be there Dec 22 through the 1st so it may be that certain days we will have to stay put and the other days we can venture back to All Star? Some days we may just leave the parks mid day to view the Christmas decorations at the deluxe resorts. Any Disers have actual Christmas Week experience and staying at Value or Moderate resorts? I know it will be crazy busy but I intend to embrace it, LOL, and try to plan around it as much as possible.

We only stay in values or moderates over Christmas. Your best bet is take the bus. The buses are great and mid day breaks are still doable. Infact, that's really the only time of year we rope drop, take mid day breaks and go back to the parks later in the day. Cars are often stuck in traffic during this season, but buses have alternate routes for getting in and out of parks. We've never had a problem. We had our car two years ago over Christmas week/ New Years and the only place we drove to was Disney Springs.

We've done midday breaks for 4 Christmas week trips and have never had a problem. We stay at BWV so we can walk back from HS and Epcot which makes it easier but buses from MK and AS seem to work for us.

We do rope drop, stay until 11ish, head back to the resort and then head back to the parks for dinner and the rest of the evening. It gives us a 3 or 4 hour break each day which charges our batteries and helps to deal with the crowds.

Have fun! We'll also be there for Christmas week ad can't wait.

Bus works better than cars getting to MK mid-morning and later because they can get to the MK bus stop via alternate routes when World Drive is a parking lot because of TTC closures.

We drive down, and our Christmas week trips have included POR and CBR, we still take busses.

Park hours are long enough (expect 7am MK EMH If truly rope dropping) to get enough park time with resort rest time.
For me, it’s easier to concentrate on having fun with family vs “must rush and conquer all rides” on Christmas week. (It’s also necessary to maintain sanity with the huuuuge crowds)

Christmas Eve and NYE we tend to stay in the park all day (and do a ton of indoor sitting shows, etc) to make sure we can stay for fireworks.

Yes, we get out of the parks when the crowds really get crazy in the afternoons... Do not drive, especially New Years Eve. And don't worry about capacity closures. With ADRs and staying at a Disney resort you will not be locked out, even on Christmas and NYE.

First, I'd say some of the crowd hype is just that...hype and a bit of hyperbole. Yes, it's very crowded. But outside of MK on Xmas Day or during fireworks/parades, none of the parks are such "traffic jams" that you can't get in and out for a mid-day break if you want. They're busy, but they do a good job of getting people in and out. Even MK will often open an alternate exit that goes "behind" Main St when the crowds get really big.

I also don't agree at all with the do not drive thing. We stay offsite, and have no choice but to drive...plus we'd never use a WDW bus, no way. Unless you're at MK Xmas Day, getting in and out of the parking lots is no big deal. Even the TTC, while quite crowded, isn't anywhere near as bad as it looks. Have a bit of patience and you'll be fine with that. The ferry has a massive capacity, so even if the line looks daunting, it'll move very fast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter