Will MK Train return this year?

Tomorrow land is out of place for Tron? Really!
It's going to be right next to Storybook Circus Fantasyland, so yes, that will be out of place. They aren't putting it within the current bounds of Tomorrowland, but rather between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. It's so big that it does bleed through into Fantasyland Storybook Circus's theming in an unfortunate way.

It's so big that it does bleed through into Fantasyland Storybook Circus's theming in an unfortunate way.
Since we haven't yet seen the final product, we don't know how Disney will handle the transition or how the siightlines will be affected.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I do think the Railroad will return by October 1. Even though (sadly) everything indicates Tron won't be open for a while, I believe they'll likely have the outside completed and the new track laid within the next 5 mos. It would be a real shame, and I think greatly missed, if it isn't operating for the 50th kickoff.

Looks like it will fit nicely into Tomorrowland to me....

View attachment 570841

Is a shame the railroad is still down and that TRON isn't on schedule anymore...

I think TRON will get back on track soon. They are going to finish up the exterior, and by that point I bet they will be ramping up for the inside anyway. It's going to take longer than initially expected, but what at Disney doesn't?

It's going to be right next to Storybook Circus Fantasyland, so yes, that will be out of place. They aren't putting it within the current bounds of Tomorrowland, but rather between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. It's so big that it does bleed through into Fantasyland Storybook Circus's theming in an unfortunate way.

At least SWG isn't crammed into MK! Talk about out of place.

I think TRON will get back on track soon. They are going to finish up the exterior, and by that point I bet they will be ramping up for the inside anyway. It's going to take longer than initially expected, but what at Disney doesn't?
They are probably going to wait till Tron 3 comes out.

About three weeks ago there were pictures posted on the train tracks being relayed. Has no more work been done?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I do think the Railroad will return by October 1. Even though (sadly) everything indicates Tron won't be open for a while, I believe they'll likely have the outside completed and the new track laid within the next 5 mos. It would be a real shame, and I think greatly missed, if it isn't operating for the 50th kickoff.

I agree. I think the railroad will be open by Oct 1. 🤞🚂

Yeah, they just need to complete the outdoor portions of Tron and then the train can run again. They don't need to complete the entire ride.

Iger has been scrubbing Walt's name off anywhere he can find it at Disney generally including the signage on the train station, So 10/1 I think is wishful thinking, I keep wondering whether the train is coming back at all, Yes they are rebuilding the locomotives but the ones at DL are pretty clapped out and the track gauge is the same, So it would not surprise me to see the rebuilt locomotives make a trip to DL while the worn ones are sent east for static display/rebuild until Tron complete or never.

Yes they are rebuilding the locomotives but the ones at DL are pretty clapped out and the track gauge is the same, So it would not surprise me to see the rebuilt locomotives make a trip to DL while the worn ones are sent east for static display/rebuild until Tron complete or never.
There is a fully functional train maintenance facility at DL as well.

I was on the final loop the train ran before it shut down. All of the train cast members were riding. Talking with one of them, she said that there was a lot more work other than just TRON that was going to happen, and that the trains would be down for much longer than anyone expects. Apparently, there were some other track repairs that needed to be done, scenes that needed updating or repairs, and other maintenance items that they couldn't do while operating the trains. I didn't get specifics outside of what is listed above.

-Spot

I was on the final loop the train ran before it shut down. All of the train cast members were riding. Talking with one of them, she said that there was a lot more work other than just TRON that was going to happen, and that the trains would be down for much longer than anyone expects. Apparently, there were some other track repairs that needed to be done, scenes that needed updating or repairs, and other maintenance items that they couldn't do while operating the trains. I didn't get specifics outside of what is listed above.

-Spot

Hopefully they are doing these updates/changes in parallel to the Tron construction. Is there construction going on at the Main Street Station or is that just for making a backstage area for the characters that appear on the balcony?

-Spot
I suspect that their ability to work on these items was adversely affected by the virus shutdown and related working considerations.

Iger has been scrubbing Walt's name off anywhere he can find it at Disney generally including the signage on the train station, So 10/1 I think is wishful thinking, I keep wondering whether the train is coming back at all, Yes they are rebuilding the locomotives but the ones at DL are pretty clapped out and the track gauge is the same, So it would not surprise me to see the rebuilt locomotives make a trip to DL while the worn ones are sent east for static display/rebuild until Tron complete or never.
So riddle me this, oh pessimistic one.

Why are they continuing to rebuild the track sections at WDW if the trains are never coming back? Why did the Walter E Disney come back to FL when it would have been just as easy to send it to the west coast? And why, with all the issues with spending and closures, did they accelerate the rebuild at Strasburg of the Walter E Disney? Roger's rebuild is still in full swing.

The trains in FL are not going anywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter